Grossest foods you ever liked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grossest foods you ever liked?

Road kill is just pre-tenderized ...and it's really a shame to waste 100# of fresh venison....or even the hind quarter! (unfortunately I think it's illegal for you to take a dead deer in many places, even if you're a witness to the kill)

I've been raised a hunter but have nothing against gatherers....

What that grows, or bleeds can't you eat?

...jellyfish?
    ...seagulls?
    ...skunks?

gotta be some things....
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

I've never heard of anyone eating a jellyfish! Have you? Way too wierd. Perhaps raw? Yuk :-(
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I've never heard of anyone eating a jellyfish! Have you? Way too wierd. Perhaps raw? Yuk :-(
        My office is located in an area heavily populated by Chinese immigrants and half the folks who work with me are Chinese. The firm runs an annual golf tournament in partnership with the local Chinese businessmen's association which is followed by a big banquet, featuring the traditional 10 course meal. At the first of these that I attended the waitress plunks down a bowl of broth with something shredded, crispy and very tasty in it. "Hey Bob," I said to my colleague seated next to me, "this is good - what is it?" "Fried jellyfish" said Bob. As CanuckJim says, eat first, ask later

So there you go, George, now you have heard of someone who ate jellyfish, and lived to tell the tale. Much of the stuff we get when we order lunch (typically12-15 dim sum dishes) is totally unfamiliar to the western food experience, but there's very little I don't like and nothing I won't at least try. I'm not particularly fond of Cantonese-style chicken feet, but I've eaten them too. http://www.weirdmeat.com/2005/11/chicken-feet.html
        Un amico degli amici.

Comment

Somehow Alfredo, your report doesn't suprise me. Balut, discussed earlier, is a prime example. I think every living thing in the world has at one time been experimented with as food.

Puffer fish are a great example. Yes, you could die if you eat it, but its a delicacy simply because most Japanese chefs are not qualified to prepare it, so its not served everywhere, and ther'es the ever-present thrill that you might be eating tainted meat.
          GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by Xabia Jim View Post
            What that grows, or bleeds can't you eat?

...jellyfish?
            ...seagulls?
            ...skunks?

gotta be some things....
            Just remember from survivorist training manuals that Tarpoon and polar ber livers have lethal levels of vitamin A at certain times of the year. What a strange thing to keep tucked away in the ole brain, as I doubt I'll ever be in the situation where either a polar bear or tarpoon just screams out to me to be eaten.

Back when I used to hunt as a teen, used to love squirrel brains... but I wouldn't touch one now since theres been cases of a mad-cow like disease found in Kentucky linked to squirrel brain eaters
            Paradise is where you make it.

Comment

Oh, I?ve gotta add one more food to the list?what we?uns down South call CHITLIN?s.

Definitely qualifies as one of the grossest foods around, although I can?t say that it?s a food that I personally would claim to like.

Chitlin?s are short for Chitterlings, which are a pig?s lower intestine. They?re cleaned, boiled and deep fried and considered a southern delicacy?but then, we are a people that?ll deep fry an Oreo cookie. There?s a little town down the road a piece that has an annual ?Chitlin Strut? festival every year the Saturday after Thanksgiving. This has been going on for over 40 years now. They attract more than 50,000 people who gather together to eat them and breathe in the aroma of cooking chitlins.
              (See ChitlinStrut Chitlins for details on how you can be one of those 50,000!))

Aroma is too kind of a word to describe the stench of cooking chitlins. Even though they have been cleaned, the boiling releases all sorts of vile fragrances that even the worst smelling hog farm can?t begin to approach. Reputable sources maintain that anyone can pick up the smell of the Chitlin Strut at least 5 miles away?and I?ve heard people claim that they can detect it from more than ten miles.

Back before my grandparents died, they lived with my folks a little while before going into a nursing home. Pappy one day said he?d wanted some chitlin?s and Mammy agreed to cook them if we could get her some. So a quick trip to the local grocery?s refrigerator section yielded a two-gallon plastic tub of cleaned chitlin?s, which Mammy then boiled for a couple hours til they were thoroughly dead. She then made some type of batter and fried them.

I don?t recall the taste as being particularly bad, but then any remaining senses we had were numbed by the hours of sensory overload. I guess I would have to say they were ?Ok? while they were hot, about like any other deep fried fat-skin product that we clog our southern arteries with. Cold, they were a slimey pile of congealed fat.

My parent?s house had a whole-house fan that we ran for 3 days straight with all the windows open to get the smell out of the house. Since then, they have moved to a new house, but sometimes when I visit them I almost pick up the faint odor still if I get near any of the furniture they moved from the old house.
              Paradise is where you make it.

Comment

Yuk! Tripe of a different sort. The GI tract is all a bit nasty, each in its own way. Good thread XJ - It'll keep you on your diet, for sure!
                GJBingham

-

Comment

How about Rape....monkfish

very ugly....but tasty...had the liver on the paella

and this one had already been cleaned!

Comment

And george, when are we going to try the chicken feet chips

Comment

XJ - I was saving that one. I'd eat one now, just to say I'd done it.
                      GJBingham

-

Comment

On a trip to Taiwan, they had me tiring some weird stuff. The thousand year egg is pretty gross. If you can get past the smell. They don't taste too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                          Not yuk... yummy. I never heard of fried jellyfish soup (but that sounds good, too). Jellyfish is salted and dried in China. Once soaked, say, for several days or so, it is often shredded and prepared with a salad dressing that includes rice vinegar, sesame oil, and chive. Tastes like a bit rubber band with a tasty dressing.

The grossest food - but one I've never liked or even tried - is surely Rocky Mountain Oysters!

Comment

Oh, I just thought of one for this thread!

Years ago I was cook for a summer camp. We cooked in large copper pots over an open fire. People were always welcome to wander into the cooking tent and snack on any leftovers...

So this guy walks into the tent, grabs a spoon and starts chomping away on some mashed potato. After while he says "hey this is good, what did you put in it? Those chewy Chinese mushrooms or what?"

Turns out we hadn't covered the pot well enough and some slugs had crawled in there overnight....

...still makes me feel kind of sick thinking of that....
                            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by BrianShaw View Post
                              The grossest food - but one I've never liked or even tried - is surely Rocky Mountain Oysters!
                              Yea, I had that here in Colorado...tastes like chicken!
                              My Oven Thread:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
                                Yea, I had that here in Colorado...tastes like chicken!
                                They have a pretty big cook off competition here at Virginia City. It just seems wrong - no one should be eating "the boys"

Les...
                                Check out my pictures here:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X