Grossest foods you ever liked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grossest foods you ever liked?

Without a doubt, the grossest food that I have ever eaten but still love to this day has to be "Tripas de Leche." I think they are cow intestines that are fried up nice and crispy on the outside, but a little soft on the inside. (I gross out just typing what they are) and yet I am suddenly craving them. Put them in a corn tortilla with some cilantro, onions, a nice hot sauce, man are you kidding me, I'm salivating......Lets eat!
    "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Comment

Where does the milk come in? (leche) Another tripe lover! I guess that's why you can still buy them and find them in restaraunts!
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Hmmm. Bingham I had no idea where the (leche) part came in, so I searched the net and learned that tripas de leche are made from the udder. I then learned that an udder is the mammary organ of female cattle.

As soon as my wife found out what tripas de leche really are she said "That's disgusting, I can't believe you eat that!!"
        "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Comment

Really? I assumed tripas was tripe. My bad. I guess that's where the leche comes from. The teat! Basically eating fat and milk producing glands. Mmmmmm!
          GJBingham

-

Comment

I ran across this excerpt (from an italian magazine!) and thought about this posting...just never knew you had to roast monkee on a spit!

‘I like monkey,’ Mao-be chirped as he scooped meat with his fingers from inside a skull. ‘The brains are the best,’ he enthused, his mouth full.

Mao-be and his friend Noe-be were chomping at the well-charred body of a monkey that they had caught that morning. Noe-be held a curled up tail: ‘This is also tasty - like beef but sweeter’.

The two men were in their mid-twenties and wore T-shirts and jeans when we spoke during lunch at their camp, a ramshackle collection of small wooden shelters on the edge of the rainforest. Mao-be and Noe-be were part of around 500 remaining members of an endangered tribe, the Nukak-Mak?,
            nomadic hunter-gatherers who live near the Guaviare river, deep in the Amazon jungle in southern Colombia. The two men had become the tribe’s spokesmen in dealings with the outside world.

Noe-be found my fascination with their lunch of barbecued monkey somewhat unsettling and he became embarrassed. ‘Although it looks human, we don’t confuse it with a human head,’ he reassured me. The monkey is roasted whole, like a suckling pig, strapped over a rotating spit. Special attention is applied to cooking the head. ‘You have to cook it a long time because inside the brain is raw and the head is more resistant to cooking’.

Noe-be offered me a handful of brain. I hesitated. I pride myself on eating different food during my travels; I’ve tasted scorpion in China, giraffe in Kenya, dog in Korea and snake’s blood in Vietnam.

Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Never tried this one, but I'd give it a go: Kangaroos Are a Real Treat - WSJ.com

Australians, comment?
              Un amico degli amici.

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
                Frances,

Marmite: great substitute for axle grease in a pinch.

Jim
                CJ, I don't think I'll ever be able to lather some marmite on bread again without thinking about axle grease.....it's definately an apt description

Comment

I'll skip that one. Primate brains are bad stuff. Viruses like mad cow exist in monkeys. I'll skip that one too! Animals I'll never eat:

Primates
                  Canines (thought I might have inadvertantly)
                  Polyps (not sure on this classification - jellyfish)
                  slugs (notice the lower case)
                  larvae - especially maggots, unless I'm starving!
                  GJBingham

-

Comment

What about cats or guinea pigs, would you eat those? I've heard that ginea pigs taste a bit like chicken, and if they were raised as food I think I'd try one...

Horse meat? I like it but I can understand that some people won't eat it.

I'd add any endagoured species to that list, too.
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                      What about cats or guinea pigs, would you eat those? I've heard that ginea pigs taste a bit like chicken, and if they were raised as food I think I'd try one...

Horse meat? I like it but I can understand that some people won't eat it.

I'd add any endagoured species to that list, too.
                      Can't do horses, we own 3 and love them dearly. Also no cats or dogs, although my husband does own a @#%$^ parrot and I don't have any trouble eating bird!
                      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

another flesh, just another protein...remember the coneheads skit about eating shredded swine flesh and fried embryos from chickens!

when you look at oriental cooking it's amazing the things they'll eat...rat embryos in sauce!

Comment

Thats what my Mom always said if there were any greenfly left in the slalad: "Its just added protein."

Hated her for it at the time, now I say the same thing

Don't they eat birds nests somewhere? Or is that an urban legend?
                          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post

Don't they eat birds nests somewhere? Or is that an urban legend?
                            Yup and the nests are made from bird spit. Probably very heathly, but then so are brussel sprouts

Bruce
                            Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

What a fabulous post! Thanks big mobs eh.
                              Quick comments:

Marmite is the poor man's vegemite, and not to be confused (Highly subjective).

Kangaroo is very lean and rather dark. Makes perfect sense to eat the buggers, (esp. if they've just caved in the front of your vehicle.)

Don't cook tripe in white sauce and tell small children it's fish....

Foetus of Beef (Saigon eatery: remains untried. Possibly scrumptious).

The smell of Durian (the king of fruits) and roasting Belachan (dry, fermented shrimp) are hellish, but the flavours are divine.

My worst ever was freshwater turtle. My dog (yes, the deluded artist), wouldn't even roll in it, let alone eat it!! Bad, bad news.

Top post, and a shot of snake wine to all who've contributed.
                              Eat well, my friends.
                              Conservative Jeff.

Comment

Jeffy,
                                Who in the hell thought of cooking up a turtle? You must have been drinking that night!

Hmmmm, I didn't get any frogs, let me see......there's a turtle sitting there on that branch. Hmmm, I wonder if you can eat those things. It can't be that bad.....
                                GJBingham

-

Comment

Working...
                                X