Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Concrete slab question

Hey FX,,,

You really need to put a time capsule down the hole before you close it... Print out this thread of the build... throw in a few pictures,,, and some twinkies.. they say twinkies will last forever due to the amout of chemicals in them... (dont know if thats really true)

Sounds like your working a ton too... Maybe you need to take a day and iust sit down and relax before you burn out....

Cheers
    Mark

Comment

Thanks all, for the replies! This has been one of the "honey do this" projects which has been put on hold for the longest time and now that I'm actually working on it, I'm kind of enjoying it, including the learning process.
      One major reason for the elevated ambition and the sense of urgency I have for this project is the fact that once I get to the main deck/patio area I can actually start on the oven foundation! That's my driving force...

And yes, I plan on capsuling a few items and family momentos as I go along....
      I've already dug up a bunch of aluminum soda cans from the late 70's as I've gone along. That's when this house was built.

I have a full day off today so I plan on pouring another slab, then working on another foundation wall next step below.
      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Slowly progressing...

I will pour another slab this afternoon before the big dinner.

George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

nice progress.....

lovin it......

cheers
          mark

Comment

Coolness!

Mummified Twinkies - it would be our luck that some far future intergalactic explorer would only find the Twinkies in the ruins of our civilization...

Then again, that might be the best possible representative of our culture...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
              Then again, that might be the best possible representative of our culture...

...as our diet or the justice system?....or both
              George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

That was a huge amount of work and it's looking really good.

After my concrete projects, I swore I'd put my mixer on craigslist as soon as it was done. I can't seem to part with it!

Nicely done,

Christo
                My oven progress -
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                sigpic

Comment

Hey FX,,,

Havent seen any new posts ?? are you hurt or just busy ?? Hope your making progress

Cheers
                  Mark

Comment

Originally posted by christo View Post
                    That was a huge amount of work and it's looking really good.

After my concrete projects, I swore I'd put my mixer on craigslist as soon as it was done. I can't seem to part with it!

Nicely done,

Christo
                    Thanks Christo! I've been following your entire patio project as well and saw the video clip last week. I was very impressed with your work and a nice setting as well.

I already had some offer to buy my mixer when my project was done but told him that ain't gonna happen.....as I have other projects lined up for 2010, including my oven build.....
                    George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

• Re: Concrete slab question

I'm still hanging in there Mark. I've been busy at work but was able to pour a few steps during the week. I'll pour another slab on Sat.

Here are before and 'current progress' (shot this morning) shots:

George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

looking good.... isnt it great, by the time you get to the oven section you will be a well practiced mason,,,, Your doing great,, I do amire the amount of energy your putting in to this...

KEEP GOING

Mark

Comment

Today is concrete Thursday......my day off and I get to pour concrete...

I've mentioned this before but you can get torn/damaged cement goods at huge discounts at Home Depot. There are 3 Home Depots close to where I live and they always have pallets of damaged cement goods outside, marked down. Only thing is you must buy everything that's on the pallet which usually averages out to about $1 per bagged item, and most bags are full or near full. The pallets always contain several bags of concrete mix but I always end up with a surplus of mortar, stucco, and sand though...
                          I have so much type-s mortar now perhaps I can simply add gravel and use them as concrete.

George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Looks like you also buy the pallets of broken soils from the garden dept. I work for Scotts and see these go out all the time at a great price.

Tom
                            Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
                              Today is concrete Thursday......my day off and I get to pour concrete...

I've mentioned this before but you can get torn/damaged cement goods at huge discounts at Home Depot. There are 3 Home Depots close to where I live and they always have pallets of damaged cement goods outside, marked down. Only thing is you must buy everything that's on the pallet which usually averages out to about $1 per bagged item, and most bags are full or near full. The pallets always contain several bags of concrete mix but I always end up with a surplus of mortar, stucco, and sand though...
                              I have so much type-s mortar now perhaps I can simply add gravel and use them as concrete.
                              You have something better to do on your day off? Click image for larger version

Name:	1831.gif
Views:	4
Size:	376 Bytes
ID:	278807

How much do such pallets weigh?
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                              [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
                                You have something better to do on your day off? [ATTACH]16503[/ATTACH]

How much do such pallets weigh?
                                Well, I used to do a lot of cycling on my days off but that's been put on hold for the time being as I've been doing concrete instead. Also seems like I'm getting a better overall workout with all the digging and hauling...

As far as the pallets go, it depends. Some days there are only less than 10 damaged items on the pallet with a price tag on it. And on other days I'll find couple or three dozen items on them, priced to go. So it all depends....you never know what you'll find in the morning.
                                I don't have a pickup truck so I have to load them bag by bag onto my suv which can be a hassle when dealing with torn bags. I always carry plenty of duct tape and trash bags for these occasions. But the savings are worth the exta trouble.....but perhaps not good for my suspension though with all that weight. I definitely need a truck.
                                George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Working...
                                X