Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
      "I definitely need a truck."

Or trailer.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	smilies-3731.png
Views:	2
Size:	480 Bytes
ID:	278816

Part of why I was asking is because I drive a Toyota Corolla and its tow limit is 2000 lb. I bought a trailer for it earlier this summer and I wish I'd done it years ago! I don't transport a lot of heavy things but there are a number of bulky things that I use the trailer for.

Get a trailer - you'll love it. Don't forget the spare!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

• Re: Concrete slab question

I never thought of a trailer. I'll definitely look into it.
        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
          Get a trailer - you'll love it. Don't forget the spare!
          1) I got an open bed trailer when I sold my truck 13 years ago. Even though I only use it a few times a year now, it was one of the best, lasting investments I have made (my stock portfolio is another story!).

2) Get the spare tire - you don't want to be stuck in the middle of the New Mexico desert, 25 miles in either direction to the nearest town, in August. Trust me, I know!
          Ed

Comment

A small, 4' wide, heavy duty utility trailer kit with 12" wheels might be just what I need. I can build the floor and side rails. Will definitely carry a spare tire too.
            Thanks for the great idea.
            George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Two words: wiring kit. If your SUV isn't already set up for towing you'll need a towing kit installed (mine was just under $200 including instillation). The nice guys at the auto parts place didn't think to tell me I'd need a wiring kit as well. I found out the day I bought the trailer.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
                Two words: wiring kit. If your SUV isn't already set up for towing you'll need a towing kit installed (mine was just under $200 including instillation). The nice guys at the auto parts place didn't think to tell me I'd need a wiring kit as well. I found out the day I bought the trailer.
                Thanks. Yeah, when I bought my vehicle 10 years ago it came with a short wiring harness for trailer hookup. I just need to find it.
                George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

In many ways a trailer is a good buy for home projects.

For one, you can use it for storage until you need the material; you don't have to unload it right away. This is great for aggregate - just shovel directly from the trailer to your mixer.

Also they have a good re-sale value when you are done with it.

If you can get one with 14 inch wheels, it will likely have the same bolt pattern as the spare for your SUV.
                  Last edited by Neil2; 12-20-2009, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
                    Thanks. Yeah, when I bought my vehicle 10 years ago it came with a short wiring harness for trailer hookup. I just need to find it.
                    Try under the carpet under the toolbox you've been meaning to get out for the last three years.

Hey, it's where I usually find stuff!

[/CENTER]

Comment

Poured another slab on Xmas Day. I think I'm about a 1/4 of the way complete before I reach the oven foundation area.

George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

fxpose,
                        If you add aggregate to your mortar to make concrete, you'll end up with a weak mix. The mortar is typically 4:1 sand, cement. You will have to put some more cement in with the aggregate to boost the cement content to make a good structural concrete.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David....thank you for that info. I hadn't done it yet but thanks for the heads up, I will check and follow proper ratios.

I guess an additional unit of cement would bring that ratio to 4:2, sand to cement. 6 units of gravel added to that will give me 6-4-2, or more commonly, 1-2-3, cement, sand, gravel mix.
                          Last edited by fxpose; 12-27-2009, 12:53 PM.
                          George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

hey fx,

just looking back over your pics,,, You have poured way over a crapload of cement.... do you have any idea how many bags you've carried and used so far ?? Hows your back ??
                            Still,, its looking good
                            Cheers
                            Mark

Comment

Hi Mark.......I estimate I poured over 210 90 lb bags of concrete so far. My back is holding up so far but my arms and joints bother me often, mostly from lifting & carrying the bags of concrete. I thought I was in pretty decent shape but this project is putting a heavy physical strain on me. But that's ok because I have something to look forward to when this is over......PIZZA!
                              George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

fx,,
                                when i did my oven I was carrying the bags into the backyard one at a time from the back of my pickup to the mixer... Then I got a genius IDEA,,, I cut them open, dumped them in a wheelbarrow and shovele them into the mixer,,(much easier) dont know why I didnt think of it earlier,, I know your in a different position with all those steps, too bad you cant build a slide of some sort as I think you still got a lot of bags to carry.... And it will be worth it when you are done as it is all about the PIZZA !!!!

Cheers
                                Mark

could you set up some planks and a wagon going down the stairs, harbor freight sells a 12v winch for 49.95

Comment

Working...
                                X