X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gmchm
    replied
    Re: Building Between a Rock and a Hard Place

I've been reviewing your oven build again and find it very inspiring. I will be copying some of your ideas for my transition and vent. I really like your photos and think you have the most dramatic [hard earned] setting of all the builds on the forum. But, I was wondering why you needed so much chimney length to clear the rocks, when it appears there is no fire danger involved? gmchm
    Last edited by gmchm; 08-03-2011, 11:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gmchm
    replied

I've been admiring your oven and your bread. Baking such a loaf is a big motivation for my build.

Leave a comment:

• paneman
    replied

WOW, what a build!!

You, my friend have produced an oven to be very proud of, simply put!

Would love to see the final look.

Thanks for sharing

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied

Sharkey, that bread looks awesome! Looks like those FF fire bricks are doing the trick and retaining good heat.

I hear you re the weather. Ever since I broke ground its rained. I thought I'd be smart and do all the heavy lifting and excavation in the colder months, but alas with rain and kids etc that hasnt happened yet. The thought of lifting besa blocks and hand mixing concrete in 40 degree heat does appeal to me much + all the cold beer it would cost me to keep hydrated.

Question: how did you get the photo directly onto your blog? I've only ever done thumbnails but your option is much more convenient.

Keep us up to date. i enjoyed following your build.

Bert

Leave a comment:

• Sharkey
    replied

Originally posted by Bert View Post
    Sharkey, hows your build coming along? Bert
    Hi Bert

I haven?t done much work on the oven in the last few months, due to wet weather, flu, being busy doing other things etc. I am still contemplating how I am going to do my enclosure and have changed my mind a couple of times. I also decided I needed a bigger wood store so I have been back on the jack hammer pretty much carving a wood store into solid rock.

I suppose the other reason I have not done much work on the oven is I am having a great time cooking in it. The pizzas have been coming out superbly. I have also been doing roasts, casseroles and pide-bread (ala Karangi Dude). But the thing I have really enjoyed cooking is bread. Our sour dough starter has really developed and since we have adopted the no-knead bread method (check out Breadtopia.com) we are cooking bread better than we can by at any bakery near by.

We cooked pizza and pide bread last night and mixed up some bread dough before we went to bed. I had to open the oven a bit this morning to cool it to 250c before cooking the bread. Here is the result:

Last edited by Sharkey; 01-04-2018, 10:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied

Sharkey, hows your build coming along? Bert

Leave a comment:

• brung99
    replied

Thanks for the info Sharkey.

I would also like to add my congratulations on the great design and execution in this oven build.

Great Job. I cant wait to see the completed work.

Regards,
    Bruno.

Leave a comment:

• Sharkey
    replied

Originally posted by brung99 View Post
    Hi Sharkey,

Were these extra long bricks part of the kit from Field Furnace, or bought seperatley to the kit from them ?

Regards,
    Bruno.
    Bruno

Yes, the extra long bricks are part of the kit from Field Furnace.

Leave a comment:

• Sharkey
    replied

Thanks for the wonderful feedback guys. Without the wealth of knowledge on this forum I would not have attempted this build. I am just pleased I can give something back.

I still have a long way to go before it is finished so there is plenty more to come.

Sharkey

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Between the drama of his oven location and the light in his photographic captures, it's apparent Sharkey is one dramatic guy.

If there's one word to describe your outdoor kitchen, it's inviting. Maybe that's why I keep going back to look at your pictures. Nicely done all around, Sharkey!
    John

Leave a comment:

• brung99
    replied

Originally posted by Sharkey View Post
    So we came up with this. I had bought extra long, tapered bricks for the outer arch. We laid the fist 6 on each side as normal.
    Hi Sharkey,

Were these extra long bricks part of the kit from Field Furnace, or bought seperatley to the kit from them ?

Regards,
    Bruno.

Leave a comment:

• azpizzanut
    replied

Hello All,

I suspect Sharkey has been holding out on us and is actually an epicure with background in pizzaoligy. Look at the genius in his build, the composition of his photos, the downright elegant composition of his pizzas. Sharkey adds worth to our forum for those who would recognize it.

Cheers,

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied

Sharky, Your pizzas look awesome and have have made me extremely hungry at 8 am. Good job on not burning the pizza on your first attempt.

Bert

Leave a comment:

• Sharkey
    replied

Originally posted by Alter ego View Post
    Is that your first pizza? Congratulations!
    Thanks. After 19 months of work it was a momentous occasion.

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Looking at your last pic.
    Where is the under hearth insulation?
    The white layer of bricks are insulation bricks.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Looking at your last pic.
    Where is the under hearth insulation?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X