• brianventura
    replied
    Re: The build has begun!

The build has been going well so far.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

The floor has been set and leveled and now I'm ready to install the soldier course.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Well, I was able to get some work done today. Work and rain has delayed the progress.
    I have decided to have a full soldier course for the start. I don't know if there is difference on which style is stronger or if it's just a matter of preference.

Leave a comment:

• Bmwdiver
    replied

I don?t want to step on Brian(Ventura's) post so I reposed my questions/comments and my build progress to a different thread.
    I appreciate the input and would like to know if I?m headed down a bad road please review my comments and questions. Thanks in advance

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/b...ans-15551.html

Thanks Brian Ventura, have fun with the build.

Brian (bmwdiver)

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Splits for the floor? That's not nearly thick enough. Is that vermiculite concrete underneath it? That's good if it is, but that means the entire weight of the oven is supported by that half inch concrete board. I've personally proved that a 2 1/2 inch brick dome is not a good idea.

We're all in favor of creativity, but not at the expense of structural stability. I'd second Lee's suggestion to re-read the plans and consider carefully before discarding their proven guidance.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Originally posted by Bmwdiver View Post
    I have some plans from Forno Bravo, but have been using them more as a guide. I am kind of mix a bit of the FB plans with inputs from a few contractors up at the place where i got my fire brick and threw in a bit of my own mix.
    ...snip...Fingers crossed, if no rain tomorrow i plan to knock out the dome.
    Great looking floor Brian (Bmwdiver)

You may have some difficulty down the road with a tall soldier coarse as pictured. The outward force of the dome tends to push the top of the soldier bricks outward and cause cracks, even dome failure....Unless you install a strap of some kind around the soldiers. I went with a half brick soldier course. Also, the bricks are a bit more stable if the thin side is placed toward the center of the oven.
    This is a good time to follow the proven design in the pompeii plans (forgive me for the negativity here, just trying to save you some grief ). Trust me, unless the guys down where they sell firebricks have made one of these ovens, they will likely give poor advice on building this race horse of an oven.
    This forum contains report after report about 'expert' masons who either build or otherwise contribute to a failed oven. If you want the reliability and performance of the pompeii oven, follow the plans as closely as you can.

Apologies for hyjacking your thread Brianventura

Leave a comment:

• Bmwdiver
    replied

I have some plans from Forno Bravo, but have been using them more as a guide. I am kind of mix a bit of the FB plans with inputs from a few contractors up at the place where i got my fire brick and threw in a bit of my own mix.

The size was up in the air and more dependent upon the space i had available, the plan was to just make it as big as the space would allow. I got my floor and first course in today and it turns out that the inside diameter is going to be 36". That?s better than i thought. It would be nice to finish the dome this weekend, but i think the rain will get the better of the day. In anticipation of the rain I have covered everything in plastic.

Fingers crossed, if no rain tomorrow i plan to knock out the dome.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Bmwdiver (Brian),

Yeah! That is a coincidence. It seems that our process is about at the same stage of the build. I'm going to start cutting the brick for the floor sometime during this next week as long as the rain gives me the chance. It will be nice to start building the dome.

What size is your oven going to be? Are you using the Forno Bravo plans?

__________________________________________________ _____

Lburou,

I hope your oven is going well with the floor situation.

Take care, Brian

Leave a comment:

• Bmwdiver
    replied

Wow, oddly enough my name is Brian and I also live in Ventura. I started my oven a few weeks ago and am just to the point of building the floor and dome(pics attached).

I was going to start on the dome this weekend but after reviewing and looking over countless pictures and messages in this site I have decided to expand the Pizza oven to include an open fire pit to one side. So I figured I would save the finish brick work until after the structure is complete.

Good to know there in also someone else in the area going through the same thing.

Have fun, I know I am.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Originally posted by brianventura View Post
    Dustin, Thanks. Hopefully you will be at this stage soon.

LeeB, I have looked at the gallery a couple of times and have found some great ideas.
    I am going to use FB insulation board for under the floor. I have not seen any problems with the floor compressing with this product. My floor will be 2.5" thick.
    What was the time frame that you noticed the drop?

John, Thanks. I am fortunate that I can work on the oven during the winter and get ready for the summer.

Brian
    Brian

Sorry to be so slow to respond. I looked at the box from my insulation. It is PBX by American Fibrex, or something very close to that. I estimate a one eighth inch compression around the bottom of the dome.

That compression left the center bricks a little high. Stepping on them brings them down flush where I want them. It is likely that your insulation is more rigid than mine.....the FB insulation has proven to be the one to use. It will take a bit more vigilance on my part, but mine will work out fine (a good thing my dome is still open).

Best Regards Brian

P.S. Don't know just when the compression took place...Probably as the chains went up....I would NOT use this insulation under the oven floor again!!!
    Last edited by Lburou; 03-12-2011, 06:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Dustin, Thanks. Hopefully you will be at this stage soon.

LeeB, I have looked at the gallery a couple of times and have found some great ideas.
    I am going to use FB insulation board for under the floor. I have not seen any problems with the floor compressing with this product. My floor will be 2.5" thick.
    What was the time frame that you noticed the drop?

John, Thanks. I am fortunate that I can work on the oven during the winter and get ready for the summer.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Hi Brian,
    Nice work! I Am super jealous of your warmer weather and ability to work on your oven in Feb.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Again, great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
    Looking great! You can go to the photo gallery for ideas. How are you planning to insulate the oven floor from the hearth? I used some insulation....If I had it to do over, I might use vermicrete -the insulation I used compressed a bit (one eigth of an inch).
    Hi Lburou, What did you use for insulation, may I ask? I am planning on using 4" foamglas hoping it won't compress that much!
    Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Originally posted by brianventura View Post
    I bought some foam board and drew the outside diameter of the oven and cut it out. I got the idea from "Ken's Old Kentucky Dome" build. Now I will use it to see where I want to place the oven. Right now I'm trying to figure out how big I need to have the hole for the vent so the chimney draws correctly before I start cutting the bricks. There are so many questions that I have. Fortunately so far I get my answers from reading previous threads and looking at the photos that everyone has put in.
    Looking great! You can go to the photo gallery for ideas. How are you planning to insulate the oven floor from the hearth? I used some insulation....If I had it to do over, I might use vermicrete -the insulation I used compressed a bit (one eigth of an inch).

Leave a comment:

• ddnisley
    replied

Very nice brian. its coming along great.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X