X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brianventura
    replied
    Re: The build has begun!

I bought some foam board and drew the outside diameter of the oven and cut it out. I got the idea from "Ken's Old Kentucky Dome" build. Now I will use it to see where I want to place the oven. Right now I'm trying to figure out how big I need to have the hole for the vent so the chimney draws correctly before I start cutting the bricks. There are so many questions that I have. Fortunately so far I get my answers from reading previous threads and looking at the photos that everyone has put in.
    Last edited by brianventura; 03-07-2011, 06:40 PM. Reason: Grammer

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

The pour went very well. I had some help today from my brother in-law and a good friend of mine. The work went fast with their assistance. Now I will let it sit for a few days then start removing the forms.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Lee,

I will cut the ends off with a sawzall. The only reason I have them there is to keep the forms in place as I pour the concrete. I will be pouring the concrete this morning and I will post some photos sometime today. It will be a good day for the pour since rain is coming in a couple days and I will not be able to work on it so it might as well sit and cure during that time.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

WoW! A very orderly set of forms and rebar you have there.

What is your plan for the ends of the eye bolts that will remain after removing the forms?

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Here is a close up of an area of the form for the hearth.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

It was a nice day today so I was able to get the hearth ready for concrete. I will put in two photos of what I finished today. One photo is the front of the oven. It has a smaller opening for wood storage. The other is a photo of the rear where it will have a place for storage. I put in a support wall in the center to separate the two spaces.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement!

Leave a comment:

• Cdubs
    replied

Looking good so far...I am hoping to start myself in a couple of weeks.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

I'm in Ventura. Well, I don't know if it will be this Monday. It is a good goal to try to meet. I would have had the forms ready but I ran out of time and now I will need to wait for the rain to stop so I can finish up and get the concrete in for the hearth.

Leave a comment:

• eprante
    replied

Nice work so far Brian, now the fun begins, actually building the oven. If you are in So. Cal you probably rained out this weekend. Hate it when that happens.
    Good luck,
    Eric

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Wow!
    Amazing progress. Can't wait to see the done deal...probably next monday, or so!!!
    Keep up the good work.
    Where in Cal. are you? I'm in Sacramento.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Thanks Heidi,

I want to thank everyone there at Forno Bravo for the friendly service my wife and I received when we were there. It turned out to be a pleasant road trip. And now we have the Pompeii oven kit and just about everything I need it won't be long before I can start building the oven.

Thanks again,
    Brian

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

I was able to get squeeze a little more time to work on the stand because this weekend will be raining and I will not be able to be out there. There should be some clearing next week and I really want to work on it. I'm close to being able to pour the hearth. All what is needed now is the outside form boards and rebar. Another step closer.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Hi Brian,

Its looking good, I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Heidi
    Forno Bravo

Leave a comment:

• roobqn
    replied

The fun building the actual oven begins shortly. Looks like a busy weekend ahead.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Here I have filled the cells with concrete and now I'm starting to make the form for the hearth.
    Last edited by brianventura; 02-18-2011, 09:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X