The build has begun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The build has begun!

I have some plans from Forno Bravo, but have been using them more as a guide. I am kind of mix a bit of the FB plans with inputs from a few contractors up at the place where i got my fire brick and threw in a bit of my own mix.

The size was up in the air and more dependent upon the space i had available, the plan was to just make it as big as the space would allow. I got my floor and first course in today and it turns out that the inside diameter is going to be 36". That?s better than i thought. It would be nice to finish the dome this weekend, but i think the rain will get the better of the day. In anticipation of the rain I have covered everything in plastic.

Fingers crossed, if no rain tomorrow i plan to knock out the dome.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmwdiver View Post
      I have some plans from Forno Bravo, but have been using them more as a guide. I am kind of mix a bit of the FB plans with inputs from a few contractors up at the place where i got my fire brick and threw in a bit of my own mix.
      ...snip...Fingers crossed, if no rain tomorrow i plan to knock out the dome.
      Great looking floor Brian (Bmwdiver)

You may have some difficulty down the road with a tall soldier coarse as pictured. The outward force of the dome tends to push the top of the soldier bricks outward and cause cracks, even dome failure....Unless you install a strap of some kind around the soldiers. I went with a half brick soldier course. Also, the bricks are a bit more stable if the thin side is placed toward the center of the oven.
      This is a good time to follow the proven design in the pompeii plans (forgive me for the negativity here, just trying to save you some grief ). Trust me, unless the guys down where they sell firebricks have made one of these ovens, they will likely give poor advice on building this race horse of an oven.
      This forum contains report after report about 'expert' masons who either build or otherwise contribute to a failed oven. If you want the reliability and performance of the pompeii oven, follow the plans as closely as you can.

Apologies for hyjacking your thread Brianventura
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Splits for the floor? That's not nearly thick enough. Is that vermiculite concrete underneath it? That's good if it is, but that means the entire weight of the oven is supported by that half inch concrete board. I've personally proved that a 2 1/2 inch brick dome is not a good idea.

We're all in favor of creativity, but not at the expense of structural stability. I'd second Lee's suggestion to re-read the plans and consider carefully before discarding their proven guidance.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I don?t want to step on Brian(Ventura's) post so I reposed my questions/comments and my build progress to a different thread.
          I appreciate the input and would like to know if I?m headed down a bad road please review my comments and questions. Thanks in advance

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/b...ans-15551.html

Thanks Brian Ventura, have fun with the build.

Brian (bmwdiver)

Comment

Well, I was able to get some work done today. Work and rain has delayed the progress.
            I have decided to have a full soldier course for the start. I don't know if there is difference on which style is stronger or if it's just a matter of preference.

Comment

The floor has been set and leveled and now I'm ready to install the soldier course.

Comment

The build has been going well so far.

Comment

I will not be able to work on the oven for a couple of days, but that will give what I have done already time to set.

Comment

HI we are building as well and I like your pictures.

Comment

I made some pizza the other night on my pizza stones. It was very good but ultimately I am looking forward to not using them and moving on to a real oven for pizza!

Comment

Thanks rrjeffer. I have good weather today and hopefully I will get some more photos up to view.

Comment

Here is what I finished today.

Comment

Originally posted by brianventura View Post
                            Here is what I finished today.
                            Great compound cuts on the firebrick, looks like you are using a HF saw! Where/How did you learn to do that? Love the large floor tiles that came with the kit! I am definitely jealous! Great Job!
                            Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
                            Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
                            Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

Aegis,
                              It is a Harbor Freight saw that I'm using. Awhile back I did tile with my brother in-law so I have logged many hours on a tile saw. Some of the cuts are difficult with the 10" blade. You have to turn over some pieces to get the full cut all the way through.

Here are some more photos of the vent area that I'm hoping to finish in the next week.

Comment

Great work, I like how you are building your opening and chimney

Comment

Working...
                                X