The build has begun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The build has begun!

Nice job you are giving me the motivation to start my oven.

Comment

Looking very nice, but you are going to want to buttress that entry arch before you go much further.

Comment

Tscarborough,

Yes, I was considering metal brackets on each side. If you have a suggestion on what might be a better option I would appreciate the advice.

Comment

That might not be the most elegant solution, but it would work. What is the design to finish the front of your oven?

Comment

I was thinking of housing the dome with metal studs and finishing with stone and a metal roof. That is the plan but it is not definite. At this point I'm still not 100% on what it will look like in the end, other than it will be a house structure. Along with the oven I'm also going to install countertops on both sides for an outdoor kitchen. When I went to get a permit for sewer and electrical the building department approved my plans as long as I don't exceed 6' at the ridge for the oven structure. Well, my plan was to have it at 6.5' and that is why I'm not clear on final yet.

Comment

More photos.

Comment

I was able to get some time in to finish the vent arch. The metal bracket will help with the stress from the arch. There will be more bracing on the soldier course to help keep everything in place.

Comment

Thanks Doug.
                  I spent great deal of time trying to figure out how I was going to do the vent area. I don"t know how many times I changed my mind. The one thing I wanted to do was try to get the oven to vent without any smoke exiting the front. I hope this will work for me.

Brian

Comment

Your vent looks good - it looks like it will draw fine. about 8" wide? Mine is only 4-1/2 x 13 at the bottom, and it draws perfectly. I was a pretty concerned about the size, but I saw a number of other successful builds with a small vent.

Only time smoke comes out the front is when the fire is first lit on a windy day, which we have plenty of in N. Texas. but even when it's windy, nothing comes out the front when its up to heat. when it's up to full heat, there's no smoke anyway.

I set the oven back on the pad to allow for a counter up front, so I ended up with a shallow entry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	outer arch complete.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	284960
                    Last edited by Paul in Rockwall TX; 04-13-2011, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys, it's good to hear about the experience of others. I don't personally know anyone who has done anything like this (build a pizza oven) so the information I get from this forum is my only source of knowledge.

The size of the vent opening is 7.5" wide and I'm not sure of the length, maybe 15". My goal is to get it to an 8" hole for my vent which is an 8" duratech pipe that I purchased from Forno Bravo.

Thanks again for the support,
                      Brian
                      Last edited by brianventura; 04-13-2011, 09:13 AM. Reason: Add comment.

Comment

Here are some photos of my progress. Cutting the pieces for the transition into the arch can be very time consuming.

Comment

I'm now past the transition area. That was the most time consuming area so far for me.
                          The top is not far away.

Comment

I made a form to help finish the rest of the way to the top. I should be finished with the dome real soon.

Comment

For me, the use of the form has made dealing with gravity much easier.

Comment

More photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X