Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The build has begun!

md_massimino,

Once I put the form in the rest of the rings went quickly. I set two rings in the beginning and let it set for a couple of hours then took out the form and cleaned underneath since I wasn't going to have enough time to finish at one time. I placed the form back in place and finished the dome with no problems later on. What was tricky was getting into the oven to place the support for the form. I used a ladder and some plywood to be a platform so I could lay flat. I had to scoot with both arms forward to get in so I could use two hands to put in the 2x4"s and shims, one hand did not work.

Last night we had our second pizza night with a few friends. The oven worked great and the pizza was a hit.

Comment

I had wondered how much wood was needed to reach the temperature for cooking pizza. I took a photo of the wood pile before I started and when it reached ceiling temp of 1000 degrees fahrenheit I took the second photo of the wood pile. I still used a few more logs off of the pile to keep the fire going but it gave me an idea of how much wood I would need.
      I first used some coals in the center of the oven to start the fire. It worked well for me as I didn't have small pieces to start with.

Comment

Providing your wood is dry, a better indicator of wood usage is to weigh the wood pile before and after, then calculate the weight of wood consumed. The weight is proportional to the heat contained, so is a more accurate measure rather than using the volume of wood.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by brianventura View Post
          I had wondered how much wood was needed to reach the temperature for cooking pizza.
          Great job on the build! I also like the great steel work on the framing. What will you be using for a roof and sides?
          That is a fair amount of wood, more than I hoped I'd have to use, but not unexpected. How long did it take to get up to pizza temp? Do you know how hot your floor was and dome?
          Thanks
          John
          Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
          Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
          Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

David S,

That would be more accurate but I was just getting a rough estimate because I had no idea. I think it would also depend on what kind of wood you were using.

John,

The roof is going to be a metal roofing material and the sides will be finished with stone of some kind.
            It took me roughly 2 hours to get up to temperature with the top of the dome near 1000 degrees Fahrenheit and the floor near 700. It was interesting watching the inside top of the dome go clear as it burned off the carbon buildup.

Comment

Well I have to say the finish work isn't going as quickly as the building of the oven did. I am though enjoying the oven even if the exterior is not finished. We had a party for my wife's birthday and I cooked pizzas for appetizers and everyone was amazed how fast the pizzas cooked and how hot the oven was. The next morning the oven was at 550 and I let it cool off to about 450 before I tried cooking some bread. The bread came out ok but I think I needed to let it rise a little longer next time. I am learning to cook with the oven and in time I will get it right.
              Last edited by brianventura; 07-30-2011, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Here is a close up shot of the bread.

Comment

I have been trying to decide on what type of roofing I should install. One of the problems I have is coming up with a way to sufficiently water seal around the vent pipe. Since it is right in the middle of the ridge I have been drawing up some ideas to flash the area but I'm not confident they will work. I was trying to keep from using any wood for the roof because of the possible heat produced, but after using the oven I find that the outside of blanket is warm and is never hot enough to be a threat. So I will place plywood on top to install the roofing to.
                  I'm actually looking into the idea of having a copper roof on top, it should last for years. After it ages it might look nice giving the oven an old look. One thing for sure is I better get something on top before the rains start.

Comment

Why not just use a high temp silicone flushing? really easy as it comes in one size with cutouts for the chimney diameter.. you can use any material you want..

But is your chimney double walled or single?

If its insulated.. above is the best route.. try a plumbing store for the flushings.. tis where i got mine.

Comment

• Re: The build has begun!

Originally posted by chidding View Post
                      Why not just use a high temp silicone flushing? really easy as it comes in one size with cutouts for the chimney diameter.. you can use any material you want..

But is your chimney double walled or single?

If its insulated.. above is the best route.. try a plumbing store for the flushings.. tis where i got mine.
                      chidding,

I did have a roofing supply store recommend it but I didn't like the look. It was a big red boot. So maybe a storm coller with some high temp. caulking. The chimney is a double walled duravent pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by brianventura View Post
                        chidding,

I did have a roofing supply store recommend it but I didn't like the look. It was a big red boot. So maybe a storm coller with some high temp. caulking. The chimney is a double walled duravent pipe.
                        Oh, i found nice black ones in different shapes/sizes.. just have to look around

EPDM and Silicone Pipe Boots for Roof Penetration sealing and retrofit applications - for example in black..

Comment

Originally posted by chidding View Post
                          Oh, i found nice black ones in different shapes/sizes.. just have to look around

EPDM and Silicone Pipe Boots for Roof Penetration sealing and retrofit applications - for example in black..
                          Thanks chidding, I see it can come in black. The other thing about the boot is that it doesn't look that good up close and my oven has a low roof were you can see it very easily especially from the side. So I started to look for alternatives.

A friend of mine mentioned the roof would look good if it were a copper roof. It would really look nice as it ages. He knew a guy that does copper work and I had him come over to look at it. We talked about the project and it looks like I might go for the copper roof, as it will last as long as the pizza oven will.
                          Last edited by brianventura; 09-09-2011, 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

The black ones are EPDM and are good for 200C, OK for outside a double flue. For a single flue you need the red silicon which is good for 250C
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Well It has been a little while since I have had much done on my project. I have been looking into different types of roofing and I have finally decided on a copper roof. I have an installer arriving this Saturday to cover the roof with copper. I'm really looking forward to having the roof covered and not having to place a canopy over every time it rains. There is a product that I purchased for when the roof is finished that will allow the copper to retain the shine and not oxidize. We didn't want the roof to patina into the green that copper so typically does in time. I'll have photos sometime after this Saturday of the roof.

Comment

Brian:

Very nice build. Have you given any thought to covering the whole dome with vermiculite. It could just be poured in loose, very little time and $$ to do this. I did this with mine, and it really holds the heat.

Ken Brouwer

Comment

Working...
                                X