Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The build has begun!

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
    Brian, I too LOVE your roof! WOW WOW WOW ! That is definitely impressive!

flyfisherx, where in CT. do you live? I am in Southbury and I am just waiting for the warmer temps to finish the outside of the oven. I built a Pompei from scratch (no kit) and it works fantastic! Better than I could have ever hoped for, especially considering I never mixed mortar before in my life!

Good Luck to you both!
    John
    John,
    I am in New Britain. Where did you source your firebrick and mortar from? I have been looking to no avail. I am not going to spend over $1200.00 in shipping costs to source materials from California. It would be nice if Forno Bravo was local to New England, I would just take a road trip and get all the stuff I need. Thanks for any help.
    Album https://plus.google.com/photos/10154...CKP9op6ilID7eA

Comment

flyfisherx,

Thanks, I have spent a lot of time on this project. I purchased the Pompeii oven kit for the 42" oven and it was $1200 from Forno Bravo. It included the medium duty fire brick, floor tiles, FB mortar, FB insulating blanket, and FB insulating boards. Fortunately for me I live just over a 5 hour drive away and I went and picked up the materials (my one ton truck was necessary in hauling the load back). The shipping is expensive for all that material but if you can find your material locally you would certainly be better off. Someone closer to you on this forum might be able to help you out on where they acquired their materials so you cut down on your cost. As I remember the plans say something about using a low duty fire brick is a good choice instead of the medium that they recommend if you can not find the higher quality bricks. You will save more time putting in the modular kit but all in all though I wanted to build the oven myself and have that real brick oven look inside. It has definitely been a challenge in building the oven and I couldn't of done it without the plans and all the posts I have read on this forum.
      Hopefully someone will have a better answer for you on materials out in your area so you can plan on starting your oven.
      If you have any questions on your build I will try to answer the best that I can.
      Brian

Comment

Thanks Brian, I will definitely ask all the questions I can. Thanks again

Comment

Countertops are now installed. Just a little closer to being finished.

Comment

Wow!!!! Beautiful. Words cant express how this is going to look and perform when you are done. Amazing work!!!!! That granite really does it!

Comment

flyfisherx,

Thanks. It took me a long time to decide what I was going to put on the countertops. In the beginning I planned on installing tile so I built the cabinet bases to allow for that. Then my wife and I started thinking that no grout lines outside would be a better choice. So we were looking at two options, concrete or granite. I didn't think there was enough room for the concrete since I did not want to be higher than 38" for the finished height. So I had a company come in and install the granite (no vacation this year). The plan is to finish the pizza oven with a stone and for the cabinet bases stucco.

Thanks again,
              Brian

Comment

I love it. It looks great.

Comment

Brian, beautiful build man.
                  "You can tell a dutchman,
                  but you can't tell him much"

Comment

Thanks dtrbovich and Gary. I did get some work done on the front of the oven. I filled in underneath the granite in front of the oven with brick scraps and mortar. Next I need to close up under the eves to keep out animals (rats) from getting into the insulation. I'll use some kind of metal flashing.

Comment

Beautiful!
                      “Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.”

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Coloradoredusa, I have been busy finishing the outdoor kitchen area and now I am going to start on the concrete stone for the oven. I wanted to keep the brick free of any contact and to have something the stone could butt up to at the opening of the oven so I made some concrete pieces to go in front. Here are the photos of what I did.
                        Last edited by brianventura; 05-23-2012, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Brian, that is coming together so nice. Looking good man.
                          "You can tell a dutchman,
                          but you can't tell him much"

Comment

-Very nice. I like the concrete arch.

Comment

Thanks Gary and Mike,

I'm going to try and stain the concrete arch pieces to better match the concrete stone that I will be installing on the oven. So I'm going to a couple of stores tomorrow to find out what colors there are out there and how to apply it.

Comment

It has been some time since my last post. I ended up using an acid stain for the arch pieces. I tried many different stains but what I liked the best was the way the acid stain looked. With the acid stain I tried different colors and strengths to narrow down on which one to use.

I finally stained the pieces and let them sit for a while before I installed them, just to make sure the color remained. Now they are cemented in place and the oven is ready for the stone.

It may be a while before I finish. I have too many projects that need attention!

Comment

Working...
                                X