X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stonecutter
    replied
    Re: My Wood fired Redux

This is almost what I have in mind with the stone I have...

Click image for larger version

Name:	CFP 2002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	297145

Name:	CFP2002 CLOSE.jpg
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	297146

We did that FP in '02 with handpicked fieldstone off walls on the property. HO wanted something similar to what he saw in an old local tavern. My oven stonework will have the randomness of that FP, but I'll orient some of the stone at steep angles....which is more free-form.

I think it will off set the coursing on the base well enough, without looking out of place.

Oh, and not one stone was cut with a saw or grinder. I used a mason hammer to powder off a bump here and there, but that was it.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Every stone has it's place, some just need to be beat into accepting that fact.
    Only if you want to do tight work with a short stone pile.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Every stone has it's place, some just need to be beat into accepting that fact.
    Last edited by Tscarborough; 09-06-2013, 06:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Thanks, I could do worse for $4 that's for sure.

The veneer will be between 4"-6", but I'll just use my pitch to hog pieces off the bigger stones to thin them out. When I work with fieldstone, the grinder and saw are never used...just hammers and carbides if necessary.

I only want weathered faces, but my stone pile is pretty meager, so I may have some that have chisel marks here and there. There is some 3 sided snap fieldstone that I have laying around that may have to be used to stretch out what I have. That stone will require some chiseling to soften it up.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Sweet turning peel. Are you going to slice those rocks or is it full thickness?

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Cool find at a local hardware store. They got bought out and this broom handle was like 4 bucks, and it has a little figuring in the wood too. The SS was given to me by a friend, who cut it at 8" for a turning peel.

This isn't exactly what I wanted to do with this piece of stainless, but it will do, and I don't have time to make anything nice right now. I hammered the metal broom attachment flat and riveted the peel with 3/16" SS rivets. The peel metal is thick.... it's like 10 gauge, so no floppiness at all. I left a slight angle to keep the rivets off the brick and to be more ergonomic while turning pies....it works great so far.

Name:	IMG_1648.JPG
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	297141

Name:	IMG_1649.JPG
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	297142

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Got myself set up for the stone work on the surround. Unfortunately, I am tied up until next week...oh well. Thought some of you might want to see the stone I am working with, before it goes up.

Most of it is leftovers off a couple projects, and I am going to do a free-form style...which suits how rough these stones are.

Name:	IMG_1645.JPG
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	297138

Name:	IMG_1646.JPG
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	297139

Name:	IMG_1647.JPG
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	297140

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Did a test WW pizza, sorry no pics. Different, kind of dry...not in a bad way. Maybe a little more water next time. I read somewhere that WW doesn't like high heat....I can see that, the bottom cooked pretty fast. I had to finish it off by doming it, otherwise it would have been burnt.

Tomorrow should be interesting, the WW pies will be unconventional as far as toppings anyway, so different is O.K. I won't be using the Caputo, we're having less people so I made the regular KAAP.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

For dough and things of that nature, pizzamaking.com is much more useful than this site.

Leave a comment:

• the_dr_masuess
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    We got a hold of some Caputo 00, KA whole wheat and gluten free for an oven burn tomorrow. Looking forward to trying the 00 especially.
    let us know how it turns out and what dough measurements you used... I tried out two different doughs yesterday and they were pretty similar. I was cooking in my grill at about 650 degrees. I looked on the dough thread but I didn't find that helpful.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

We got a hold of some Caputo 00, KA whole wheat and gluten free for an oven burn tomorrow. Looking forward to trying the 00 especially.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I'm stalled out on the build, tied up with too many other things right now. No time until the week of the 2nd, so no build pics for a while. Here's where I'm at with the chimney.....scratch and brown coats.

Name:	IMG_1636.JPG
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	296874

Leave a comment:

• fullback66
    replied

I really like your craftsmanship of the build.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

That one is in France, but the chimney is built like a Neapolitan oven, with the flue running along the roof of the dome. It's a really cool oven, I especially like the carved stone on the outer opening.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

That pic in post #205 is great! make me want to build another one -
    once I heal from the last one.

Aceves build re-routed the vent to exit at center of the oven. Good ideas!
    texman

Leave a comment:

Working...
X