X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stonecutter
    replied
    Re: My Wood fired Redux

That's great thanks! We love chickpeas...my wife makes a killer hummus. That creation looks very delicious.

One side of my family is Italian( Mom is only second gen in the states)....from Lioni and Naples, so I am more familiar with that style of cuisine (Campania Region ) and use of Garbanzo beans. I feel fortunate to have a heritage that aligns with my interests!

I'm sure this thread is going to morph into what is coming out of the oven soon.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 08-16-2013, 11:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I haven't tried the GF stuff - but if you are looking for other GF recipes - I am a big fan of "farinata" (aka "socca") - which is a crust/crepe like creation made of chickpea flour, olive oil, water, and salt. Always a crowd pleaser!
    Farinata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Thanks DJO. My wife is up on all the gluten free stuff, she writes a blog dedicated to GF/low carb and creates recipes. I have heard her mention Bob's Red Mill..I think she did some freelance recipe development for them too.

I think I would just dust the peel with the GF flour for the sake of simplicity. But I am looking forward to experimenting with the flour we bought. I see KA has a GF flour, I will try that soon.

Have any of you used that brand of flour for GF crust?

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Looks good SC. No need to grind rice to get rice flour. It's easily available at asian groceries, or look for the "Bob's Red Mill" flours. The nice thing about rice flour is that it doesn't burn like wheat - but I agree it's super easy to launch pies with regular flour.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

A simple set up for pizza night...we had a lot of young kids that night, so there wasn't some of the more 'foodie' type ingredients typical of what we usually like to do. I still can't find any of those great containers that you have Tscar....all our local Wallys don't carry them. I will probably order some online.

That pesto is homemade, with Basil from our garden.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1639.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	296679

We make our sauce with Cento canned tomatoes, olive oil, a little dried basil, salt to taste.

Name:	IMG_1640.JPG
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	296680
    Last edited by stonecutter; 08-16-2013, 07:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

That is a nice looking New Haven style pizza!

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

It's been raining day and night here for the last three days....and more to come tomorrow and Sunday.

Here is a pic I found on the camera from last Saturday....it is one of the last pizzas of the night. We had run out of dough, so Mom made a small batch of her 'fast' dough...this was 1/2 hour after it was made. Oven was running hot, I would guess 800*-900* at the time. This got made for a bunch of hungry kids coming out of the pool.

Thin crust crust style.

Name:	IMG_1642.JPG
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	296677

Name:	IMG_1643.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	296678

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

No, but I am making gluten free pizza for my wife and some friends with gluten issues...so rice flour would be good for that...thanks.

I don't have any trouble launching pies with regular flour, the beveled peel is more of an experiment than a need.

Leave a comment:

• couchpotatoe
    replied

Have you tried rice flour? That's what one of my friends uses. He grinds it in a little flour mill and it is coarse enough that it mostly just falls away when he slides in his pizzas.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by couchpotatoe View Post

......thanks for your response to my questions about concrete countertops.

For baking bread, I have found that semolina flour sprinkled out of a shaker onto the peel makes the dough slide off like it was on roller bearings. It works really well with both my wood and aluminum peels. With bread, it doesn't seem to burn or taste "funny" either. Have not tried it yet with the higher temperatures used for pizza, though.

Russ
    Thanks Russ. Any more questions on counters feel free to ask.

Thanks for the tip, but I hate semolina and cornmeal on the bottom of pizza...like poison.

Leave a comment:

• couchpotatoe
    replied

Stonecutter,

I absolutely love your build! You have set the bar impossibly high for the rest of us. And thanks for your response to my questions about concrete countertops.

For baking bread, I have found that semolina flour sprinkled out of a shaker onto the peel makes the dough slide off like it was on roller bearings. It works really well with both my wood and aluminum peels. With bread, it doesn't seem to burn or taste "funny" either. Have not tried it yet with the higher temperatures used for pizza, though.

Russ

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Maybe a bit premature, but I will probably be starting another oven as soon as mine is done...which will be at the end of Sept.

The design will be something like this, but without the rear exit chimney.

Name:	15667677 GREAT WFO DESIGN IDEA.jpg
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	296595

I'm psyched because I was going to do a stone roof similar to that on my current oven, but decided I wanted to shave weight off.

The elements that I am taking from the picture are: The round enclosure, stone veneer and roof.

I REALLY want to do a rib vault base, but at the very least...I'll do another pointed vault like the one on my oven, except it will be all stone.

Did I mention I'm psyched about it?

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

In between everything, I managed to get the scratch & brown coat done, and the metal insulated panel for my permanent door fabricated.

Putting the oven to use tomorrow so I won't have a chance to work on anything until Sunday night.

Leave a comment:

• TxTanner
    replied

Can't hardly wait to see the final "finished wide angle" reveal pic of the build.
    Me too.....me too....

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Thanks Gulf...getting close. Cedar shakes, stonework, chimney stucco and some detailing are the last major steps left.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X