X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrchipster
    replied
    Re: My Wood fired Redux

Thanks for the plug on the door, I found an oval pan lid that might work even better, I found that the thermometer in the baking door is of little or no use as it does not provide as good feedback as the ir gun.

I bought a used pressure cooker today and will be trying something similar to Faith's setup, but I cannot bring myself to drill a hole in my oven.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 07-30-2013, 06:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• the_dr_masuess
    replied

The Steam idea would be pretty sweet when cooking bread. I'm interested to see how that idea progresses.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

It's been so gross outside, I can't motivate myself to do the stonework...we're talking real feels in the 100+ range and very,very humid....urg. Now it looks like t-storms this afternoon through friday, and we are going to Savanna for the weekend...no stonework until next week now.

I have been thinking about a second door for the oven, one with a glass panel....similar idea to the one Chip built... very cool idea btw. I am going to check out a couple junk shops that have old stoves, and see if I can score a panel. Then I need to find a temp gauge with a long thermocouple, which I will mount on the side of the glass. I am going to try an install a light too.

I also have an idea for a sort of a steam delivery system for when I bake bread. It all sounds doable...I just need to scrounge up the parts!

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Put the saw away. Every stone has a home, you just have to find it.
    Say what? Not really following you...a rustic look would not need any use of cut stone. The only stone on this whole structure that was saw cut is the granite, and if that was strictly chisel work it would have taken a couple weeks to make it.

Truthfully, I rarely use a saw when laying stone that isn't a specific carved piece...carbide chisels and hammers are another thing.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 07-27-2013, 05:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Put the saw away. Every stone has a home, you just have to find it.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

It's been very hot and humid here too...it is hard to willfully go out in it when I don't really need to....I'd rather be in the pool with a beer.

I think the stonework on the oven is going to be a challenge for me to execute style wise. I tend to favor tight fitting joints, and what I see in my mind is a more loose rustic style...which is something you would see on an old community ovens in Europe. Not sloppy work mind you, just not as tight as the base....we'll see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

StoneCutter,

You are the hardest on your self. I can't even imagine doing a dry stack base like you did. I like the mix use of bricks, stone, and timbers. I am just slow poking along, too hot here to get motivated.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I am going to try and let the stonework go. I don't want it to look like the base, less coursing and more random..in and out. I'll run some brick out on the sides, similar to the back of the oven, asymmetrically, again to give the feeling of repair work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1618 new 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	296275

Name:	IMG_1623 new 4.jpg
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	296276

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

More finishes evolution...this time it was incorporating the few remaining antique brick into the veneer work. So, they were laid as corners, with no real bond pattern, because I am going to key the stonework into them...the idea is to make it sort of like an old repair or something. I just don't have enough to do anything else, and with an extremely limited stone supply, this seemed like a good solution.

Name:	IMG_1619 new 2.jpg
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	296273

Name:	IMG_1621 new 3.jpg
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	296274

Leave a comment:

• the_dr_masuess
    replied

Looks like you have been eatin' good. I'm Jealous

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Residual heat goodness.....

Braised pork ribs withcoconut milk,habanero, salsa verde, cumin, and some other stuff.

Name:	IMG_1617 ribs.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	296214

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Thanks V-wiz.

One of tonight's specials...Jalapeno Popper. Cream cheese mixed with salsa verde for the base, fresh jalapenos from our garden, and a cheddar cheese blend.

Name:	IMG_1615 popper 1.jpg
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	296168

Name:	IMG_1616 popper2.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	296169

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Looks awesome, love the pizza. Good job.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Nice. What time should I show up?
    Anytime...but you have great pizza at your place so you gotta trade off.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Great test firing, very neat suds opener. Been side tracked with my cladding on the dome but did scab some old duct work to practice and get used to metal work and forming.
    That's cool. If I remember right duct work is 18 ga, so it will be a bit stiff compared to copper..but much smarter to practice on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X