• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stonecutter
    replied
    Re: My Wood fired Redux

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
    So, you all staying put for awhile? Even if you do, I'm pretty sure there's some sort of law on the books down there prohibiting the demolition of such a work of art like that.
    Nothing's set in stone...

Im only half kidding about tearing it down. This one was never suppose to be permanent and it just evolved into what you see now. I would not have built it @33" but rather around 42 or more. It's cool though, it's good to try different ovens out.

I'm actually building another oven for myself soon...a Neapolitan mobile one. It's been in the planning stage for about a year, but I need to finish my patio and cabinet before I start that project. Plus, I've got another fixed oven to build at a friends house too (40") so I wouldn't have time to tear my oven down and rebuild even if I was serious.

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post

I'll probably be the one that does it too.
    So, you all staying put for awhile? Even if you do, I'm pretty sure there's some sort of law on the books down there prohibiting the demolition of such a work of art like that.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by v12spirit View Post
    Stonecutter, is the wood (you used for the finishing) a special kind of wood? I mean I used to think of wood as a material that does not like weather changes and may wear out early contrary to your attractive stone finishing that is supposed to stay brilliant for decades.
    What do you mean by special? It's not pressure treated if that's what you mean. It did stain all of the exposed framing rafters on the gable ends and the rafter tails) and all the other wood is cedar. It will last a long while with a little care.....nothing is maintenance free, even the stone. I'm confident the oven will be torn down before it falls down.

I'll probably be the one that does it too.

Leave a comment:

• v12spirit
    replied

Stonecutter, is the wood (you used for the finishing) a special kind of wood? I mean I used to think of wood as a material that does not like weather changes and may wear out early contrary to your attractive stone finishing that is supposed to stay brilliant for decades.
    Last edited by v12spirit; 08-23-2014, 07:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    what do they say.....one persons junk in another persons treasure.......I would take you junk any day.
    It's all yours next time. I would recommend buying some carbide chisels though, the base stone took a good amount of shaping to make them usable!

Leave a comment:

• v12spirit
    replied

Very nice looking finished oven. Every single detail in the oven is a signature of the skilled builder.
    Love it.

Leave a comment:

• Sharkey
    replied

I have really enjoyed watching your build. The finished oven is beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

what do they say.....one persons junk in another persons treasure.......I would take you junk any day.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
    What a disaster.....
    No, seriously, well done, fine detail work!!

Now I want to see some equally fine food pouring outa that thing.
    Lol...it's built mostly from leftover junk stone dude what do you expect? No food pics on this thread......

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

What a disaster.....
    No, seriously, well done, fine detail work!!

Now I want to see some equally fine food pouring outa that thing.

Leave a comment:

• the_dr_masuess
    replied

It has been a pleasure reading your build and it turned out AMAZING. Us newbs can only dream of having something so beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Hey Russ,

SM have done well, in spite of the heat. I'm sure they would have done better if i had done a better job with watering and soil amendment. I'll only put in about 6 plants next year, and just use them for tomato/basil/motz salad or something....I'd rather just buy the canned variety for sauce, because it's easier. As for taste, they are good but not any better than canned.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 08-21-2014, 09:54 AM. Reason: Wording

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

SC,

It has been a fun journey. Glad to see you post once in a while. How's the SM doing?

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Fin

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	684.0 KB
ID:	305715

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

The cedar trim jumps out right now, but when it weathers it should blend better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	768.3 KB
ID:	305714

Leave a comment:

Working...
X