X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCMan
    replied
    Re: My Wood fired Redux

Looks great, SC. Getting down to the finishing touches!

Leave a comment:

• felix
    replied

I, for one (and I suspect many others), think it is a beaut! It has craftsman written all over it. Thanks for sharing.

Carl

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

The other side. The joint is a little sloppy on the right, but once I fill it with caulk and repaint the stucco, it won't show too much....but it's driving me nuts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	305191

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I still have to caulk in the top of the flashing, and I'm going to darken the finish on the chimney. I'm getting some staining from the capstone, because it is a touch too small. I used what I had...but I may change it out in the future. I actually don't mind the staining....I guess like how it doesn't bother some to see smoke stains on the face of the finishes.

Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	305190

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Lead flashing completed, along with the cedar and granite ridge cap. The original plan was all granite for the cap, but I don't have the size I need in my remaining stock, and I don't want a bunch of pieces under the radius stone.

Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	305189

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post

I'm pessimistic that these SM's will taste like the ones grown in Italy, but we'll see........
    I'm not sure, that I will ever know the difference. But, retirement is looming ever closer. You never know . I just may, get on one of those "adult sized pamper" cruises to the "old country", before I croak .

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Some very healthy looking plants there, Stonecutter! Looks like it's going to be a good year for "maters" .

Russell, I mixed about a double hand full of bonemeal into the soil directly under my plants this year for calcium. About a half a hand full of magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) for root production. And also, some ash from the oven.

Matt,
    I too, am having issues with a regular watering schedule. I will definately be using soaker hoses for next years crop. I planted some in large elevated buckets. Those, will probably get retrofitted with soakers this weekend .

Joe
    I hope I can get enough to can a few jars. I knew about calcium deficiency before, but I didn't know lack of water and planting seeds in cold ground ( not a fact here) also caused BER.

The good woman used a product called rot stop..so far, it did!

Bonide

I'm pessimistic that these SM's will taste like the ones grown in Italy, but we'll see. I like the looks of the plants, and the rest of the garden is doing great too...we have eggplant, Habs & Japs, chilies, tomatillos, purple and sweet basil....and a few other things.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Some very healthy looking plants there, Stonecutter! Looks like it's going to be a good year for "maters" .

Russell, I mixed about a double hand full of bonemeal into the soil directly under my plants this year for calcium. About a half a hand full of magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) for root production. And also, some ash from the oven.

Matt,
    I too, am having issues with a regular watering schedule. I will definately be using soaker hoses for next years crop. I planted some in large elevated buckets. Those, will probably get retrofitted with soakers this weekend .

Joe

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

24 yes, lol. I planted all the seeds you gave me, over 50....in peat trays. I gave some to my parents and friends. I was hedging my bets!

I'm not home right now, I'll have to look and see what we used. I did some research on BER, some factors are planting in cold soil and under watering too.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

24 Plant?? That's a lot of maters, the SM heirlooms are not a big a producer compared to the genetically modified maters but you are still going to have a ton. What did you use to add calcium to your soil? I need to do the same as well. I always seem to get blossom end rot on the first few maters no matter what the variety.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Had some blossom end rot with some of the earlier tomatoes, but took care of that with a better watering schedule and some calcium. Even with amending the soil, it's hard to keep an adequate moisture level. I may need to get some soaker hoses.

Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	305001

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I was planning on sending you seeds first,Russ. I planted everything you gave me, all of them germinated. I gave away all but 24, and all mine have survived and are growing like weeds. I have to pick up tomato cages tomorrow or theses plant may be laying on the ground in a couple days. I'm thinking I can harvest the first batch in a couple weeks or less...I'm not sure exactly.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

SC,

Both Gulf's and your plants are doing very well. All I can say is my plants are cousins........but it is great to see that my harvesting of the SM seeds last year are doing so well in your end the country. Be sure to harvest a few from this year's crop and pass them on to your friends.

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

That's one fine looking plant you have there. They sure are growing fast.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I've got some fruit coming in, roughly counted about 15 tomatoes with lots of blossoms coming in.

Size:	847.8 KB
ID:	304795

Leave a comment:

Working...
X