X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stonecutter
    replied
    Re: My Wood fired Redux

I finally found a few hours to start the cedar on the roof. I won't get any more time until Tuesday, but it's going along well and I should only need about 8 hours to wrap this up. Then lead flash the chimney, set the granite ridge caps and some trim under gable and that's

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	304094
    Last edited by stonecutter; 04-25-2014, 06:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Picked up the cedar shakes again, I should get a chance to pick away at it, and have it done by the middle of next week.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    ice storms do have their uses.....

[ATTACH]42175[/ATTACH]

iphone flipped the pic....
    ........[ATTACH]42178[/ATTACH].........

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Ice storms do have their uses.....

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	304006

iPhone flipped the pic....
    Last edited by stonecutter; 04-20-2014, 02:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BaronVonChickenPants
    replied

HOLY CRAP!!!

I've just read the entire build thread, your workmanship and attention to detail is spectacular. I'm blown away.

And now as you're almost finished you're leaving it

I can't wait to see what you do next.

Jordan.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

But then again, my ideas and design can change between then and now.......

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Why the squirrel tail? Because I haven't built one on a front venting, freestanding oven yet....a couple historic beehives I have though. As far as heat loss, I am building the flue different than the ones you mention, the main thing will be that there will be insulation over the whole dome... So there is not the same concern as the commercial ovens, which are uninsulated in that section, and used inside only, and constantly fired.

As far as building goes, I have the privilege to work with masonry full time, and to be honest, as soon as something is done ( or almost done as is the case with this oven) I'm looking toward the next project...to try new things, and implement new designs.

One thing I really want to do with my next home oven is a ribbed cross vaulted base...something I nixed on this one. The planned diameter is 42", so I'll have a larger base than here, and that is better for cross vaulting. A major difference is that we are moving back into stone country, so now I have access to a much bigger variety of stone to work with. Can't wait .
    Last edited by stonecutter; 01-04-2014, 07:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Another move? And leaving another oven behind... Wow
    But more ovens to build!
    But why a squirrel tale ? I always thought that they were more suited to a commercial use. Flashed 12/7 . But in a domestic use would be prone to heat loss.
    Please correct me on that
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Nothing on the roof yet, but I should get something going in a week or so. Speaking of going, it looks like we will be leaving this oven behind in a few months.

Now I get to build yet another one for myself ( going to do a 42" Neo w/ a squirrel tail), in addition to another for a friend, possibly a third for a client...seems like it will be a good year to build ovens!

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

It is Switzerland Garner, good eye.. But that type of roofing is done all over Europe and Asia too.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

No worries Dave ( in my best OZ accent ) happy to answer questions. The stone I am going to use would typically be thought as flagging.....large, flat, irregular paving stone.

It is not slate, but a type of metamorphosed sandstone, which varies in thickness, from 1/4"-3/4". Here is a pic I posted earlier in the thread. This is what I am shooting for....
    [ATTACH]40591[/ATTACH]

I haven't done one like this yet, but to me it's not unlike other types of stonework I have experience with so I'm not concerned....it drills nicely too. I'm pretty psyched to do this...and I returned all my cedar shakes so I wouldn't back out again.
    That looks like Switzerland. Those small barns are scattered all over the place there. I agree its a great look!

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

The old traditional stone roofs used thick heavy stone. If a storm blows them off, nothing would have survived.

For my stone, since it is thinner, I am installing it similar to large slate....that's why I mentioned it drilled nice. I had some samples that I brought home and test drilled a bunch to make sure. So the stone will be attached to cleats with 3" ring shank nails. I'm in a hurricane zone, but anything short of that wont knock this material off.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 12-07-2013, 03:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

No worries Dave ( in my best OZ accent ) happy to answer questions. The stone I am going to use would typically be thought as flagging.....large, flat, irregular paving stone.

It is not slate, but a type of metamorphosed sandstone, which varies in thickness, from 1/4"-3/4". Here is a pic I posted earlier in the thread. This is what I am shooting for....
    [ATTACH]40591[/ATTACH]

I haven't done one like this yet, but to me it's not unlike other types of stonework I have experience with so I'm not concerned....it drills nicely too. I'm pretty psyched to do this...and I returned all my cedar shakes so I wouldn't back out again.
    Looks nice. Is there anything apart from gravity that prevents them flying off in a storm? Reason for asking is that we're in a cyclone area.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday
    Hope this doesn't sound like a silly question. By stone for the roof do you mean slate? Or is there some other stone you will use?
    Regards dave

Name:	New Stone Roof.jpg
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	302784

Last edited by stonecutter; 12-06-2013, 06:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Hope this doesn't sound like a silly question. By stone for the roof do you mean slate? Or is there some other stone you will use?
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

Working...
X