My Wood fired Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Wood fired Redux

How about something like this Silicone Sealant for Food Service Equipment Manufacturers 10.3oz - Color: Red - High Temperature: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

I didn't want to put a bead around the panel, because I would still run into the same issue with a material that doesn't conform to the imperfections of the brick reveal once the bead has cured. Thanks though...

I think this is kind of what I'm looking for - Deacon 3300...like a putty that I can stick to my panel, press against the reveal and it will conform to the brick. It stays pliable and can be easily repaired. This product is made for metal to metal, but it won't matter in this application.
      Last edited by stonecutter; 11-04-2013, 08:01 AM.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Two leftover dough balls from last night and that means pizza today.

Sausage and Pepperoncini
        Click image for larger version

Name:	S&P 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	302507

Name:	S&P 2.jpg
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	302508

Beef Tenderloin, crumbled blue, a bit of motz over a port wine reduction.

Name:	Bleu1.jpg
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	302509

Name:	Bleu2.jpg
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	302510
        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Sausage and PPC sounds like a great combo! beautiful!
          My build documentary page:
          https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Thank you....it is one of my favs, everybody seems to like it too. What's not to like though right?
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Making dough today for an oven burn tomorrow..7 peeps.

Haven't touched the roof yet, but I'm planning to pick up some stone next week and get this rolling. Once that is done, I only need to lead flash the chimney and the oven itself is done. I am also trying to form and pour my concrete counter-top for the outdoor cabinet.
              Last edited by stonecutter; 12-06-2013, 06:53 AM.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Gudday
                Hope this doesn't sound like a silly question. By stone for the roof do you mean slate? Or is there some other stone you will use?
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                  Gudday
                  Hope this doesn't sound like a silly question. By stone for the roof do you mean slate? Or is there some other stone you will use?
                  Regards dave
                  No worries Dave ( in my best OZ accent ) happy to answer questions. The stone I am going to use would typically be thought as flagging.....large, flat, irregular paving stone.

It is not slate, but a type of metamorphosed sandstone, which varies in thickness, from 1/4"-3/4". Here is a pic I posted earlier in the thread. This is what I am shooting for....

Name:	New Stone Roof.jpg
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	302784

I haven't done one like this yet, but to me it's not unlike other types of stonework I have experience with so I'm not concerned....it drills nicely too. I'm pretty psyched to do this...and I returned all my cedar shakes so I wouldn't back out again.
                  Last edited by stonecutter; 12-06-2013, 06:05 PM.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                    No worries Dave ( in my best OZ accent ) happy to answer questions. The stone I am going to use would typically be thought as flagging.....large, flat, irregular paving stone.

It is not slate, but a type of metamorphosed sandstone, which varies in thickness, from 1/4"-3/4". Here is a pic I posted earlier in the thread. This is what I am shooting for....
                    [ATTACH]40591[/ATTACH]

I haven't done one like this yet, but to me it's not unlike other types of stonework I have experience with so I'm not concerned....it drills nicely too. I'm pretty psyched to do this...and I returned all my cedar shakes so I wouldn't back out again.
                    Looks nice. Is there anything apart from gravity that prevents them flying off in a storm? Reason for asking is that we're in a cyclone area.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

The old traditional stone roofs used thick heavy stone. If a storm blows them off, nothing would have survived.

For my stone, since it is thinner, I am installing it similar to large slate....that's why I mentioned it drilled nice. I had some samples that I brought home and test drilled a bunch to make sure. So the stone will be attached to cleats with 3" ring shank nails. I'm in a hurricane zone, but anything short of that wont knock this material off.
                      Last edited by stonecutter; 12-07-2013, 03:14 AM.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post

[ATTACH]40591[/ATTACH]

That looks like Switzerland. Those small barns are scattered all over the place there. I agree its a great look!
                        My build documentary page:
                        https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

It is Switzerland Garner, good eye.. But that type of roofing is done all over Europe and Asia too.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Nothing on the roof yet, but I should get something going in a week or so. Speaking of going, it looks like we will be leaving this oven behind in a few months.

Now I get to build yet another one for myself ( going to do a 42" Neo w/ a squirrel tail), in addition to another for a friend, possibly a third for a client...seems like it will be a good year to build ovens!
                            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Gudday
                              Another move? And leaving another oven behind... Wow
                              But more ovens to build!
                              But why a squirrel tale ? I always thought that they were more suited to a commercial use. Flashed 12/7 . But in a domestic use would be prone to heat loss.
                              Please correct me on that
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Why the squirrel tail? Because I haven't built one on a front venting, freestanding oven yet....a couple historic beehives I have though. As far as heat loss, I am building the flue different than the ones you mention, the main thing will be that there will be insulation over the whole dome... So there is not the same concern as the commercial ovens, which are uninsulated in that section, and used inside only, and constantly fired.

As far as building goes, I have the privilege to work with masonry full time, and to be honest, as soon as something is done ( or almost done as is the case with this oven) I'm looking toward the next project...to try new things, and implement new designs.

One thing I really want to do with my next home oven is a ribbed cross vaulted base...something I nixed on this one. The planned diameter is 42", so I'll have a larger base than here, and that is better for cross vaulting. A major difference is that we are moving back into stone country, so now I have access to a much bigger variety of stone to work with. Can't wait .
                                Last edited by stonecutter; 01-04-2014, 07:39 AM.
                                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X