X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tscarborough
    replied
    Re: My Wood fired Redux

Or you could just get some rocks and put them where they belong.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

O.K. I'll do it the first chance I get. We are leaving for 'home' in New England tomorrow, but I'll ask around and PM you with anything I get.

Can't wait to hit the pizza joints in CT and NYC!

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    If you are still interested I can reach out to a few of my counterparts.
    Yep for sure, I havent laid bricks for over 2 and a bit years and my muscle tone isnt what it used to be, so itll hurt...... but Im interested.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    That was about 3 years ago.
    If you are still interested I can reach out to a few of my counterparts.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    How long ago was that? The dry walling community has grow tremendously the last 10-15 years, there is probably a proper work shop somewhere close by ( relatively) if you wanted to try again....if.
    That was about 3 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

How long ago was that? The dry walling community has grow tremendously the last 10-15 years, there is probably a proper work shop somewhere close by ( relatively) if you wanted to try again....if.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Thanks for the reply.

Some years ago I had an urge to learn dry stone walling, there are only two courses that are conducted in Australia that I could find.

One never replied to my enquiry so I booked a one day course in Hobart Tasmania, a 1/2 hour flight away over Bass Straight.
    I missed the out bound flight by 1 minute (Jet Star) so had to pay an extra $90 for the next flight which was 1/2 hour later.

On arrival in Hobart I got a shuttle bus to the venue only to find that the course was all done on a whiteboard with not a stone or rock in sight.
    I could have done the course out of a book.....

Feeling let down I walked into Hobart and had some fish and chips for lunch, my homeward flight was 4 hours away so I just sat and drank coffee.
    Hobart is a really lovely place to sit and drink coffee so it wasnt all bad.

Arriving back in Melbourne I went to pay for car parking at the airport, $70 for the day.....

All up the day cost me around $500.....

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Sharp eyes will see the first and third stone in the first picture of the full size granite ( post #295) are missing one corner each.

Those are the ends that were cut off, then carved into the arch and the hearth.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Maybe this sounds like baloney....but never these days.

At least, not since my first couple months of splitting, 16 years ago. I always trace the line with a carbide chisel first, and that encourages the stone to spit along the line I choose, instead of what the grain of the stone would do on it's own.

Notice the chisel line in between the drill holes, and down the face.

Click image for larger version

Name:	granitesteps3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	297829

This is the stone in pic #2 in the above post. Notice that the break crept off the line a bit on the face. It didn't matter, because it followed my trace on the other side, and that material was removed during trimming.

Once you master this technique, you can fit large stone pretty tight with some chisel work.

Name:	granitesteps11.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	297830
    The only power tools used on this project were a combo hammer for the holes and a pneumatic carving tool with a bush hammer bit.

Name:	granitesteps5.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	297831

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Just curious.

When you drill the holes and put in the wedges how often does it not crack where you want it too?

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I was digging around my picture files yesterday, looking for something to show a client, and stumbled upon some pictures I thought a few might be interested in.

The pictures show were the granite components like the chimney supports, keystones, hearth and arch assembly came from. It was a project in New England, and the client had no use for the cut offs...I was glad to have them when the build started.

Before

Name:	granitesteps2.jpg
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	297826

This is how I cut the ends to get the length I need. The hearth, arch assembly and the keystones came off end cuts like this.

Name:	granitesteps4.jpg
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	297827

The smaller piece was what I cut into blocks, and then shaped the chimney supports. I was originally going to use it for a hitching post, but I didn't have any other granite that worked for the supports, so plan B it was

Name:	granitesteps8.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	297828
    Last edited by stonecutter; 10-11-2013, 04:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Glad to hear that...me too these last couple weeks.

We are headed north on Saturday, and I have plans to hit a bunch of WfO places in CT & NYC, and of course, a couple coal fired ones too. So no oven construction or pizza making for a while.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Yes Sir i am, just wish i could use it more often.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Thanks V-WIZ...I see you're enjoying your oven by the looks of it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X