• V-wiz
    replied
    Re: My Wood fired Redux

Awesome work. Good job.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Thanks Colin. Don't mind at all, none of the elements of the door are an original design concept.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi StoneCutter

Nice door might model mine on your's. Hope you are ok with that.

When you finish your oven we might need a new category

MASTERPIECE

Still love that one piece granite decorative arch

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Me too....hopefully, the worst that happens is a bit of darkening.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Ok, I see now. Interested to hear how it performs.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Nice door. I also like a wooden door, but the heat cooking it is a problem, especially without an insulating panel. Only use it for baking and roasting temperatures. You can monitor the wood temperature with your hand. After a couple of hours you may find it gets pretty hot and the inside may be beginning to char. Will that one iron ring be sufficient to lift it? It looks pretty heavy.
    Thanks.

I usually don't leave the door on while there is an active fire, and if I do, it's in the vent area, acting as a damper. I don't know if you caught this, but the panel is insulated...it's almost 2" wide, and filled with mineral wool. If there is a need, I'll fill the air space between the metal and the wood with more insulation, then cover the gap with a strip of stainless.

The ring is more than sufficient...that's no cheap hardware store accessory. The post is about 3/4" ( 1.94 cm or 19.05 mm, take your pick) 3" long (7.62 cm) hand forged goodness, and is tightly fixed into two layers of wood.. I don't find the door heavy, but I am used to lifting stone, so it's perspective. The door won't hang by only the ring when lifting anyway, I don't have a cavernous vent area...I more or less slide the door out.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Nice door. I also like a wooden door, but the heat cooking it is a problem, especially without an insulating panel. Only use it for baking and roasting temperatures. You can monitor the wood temperature with your hand. After a couple of hours you may find it gets pretty hot and the inside may be beginning to char. Will that one iron ring be sufficient to lift it? It looks pretty heavy.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Another impromptu work opportunity, and my door is complete! Here is the process.......

I milled one of my better oak 4x4 into planks, picking one that was made of heart wood. After cutting, I ran them through a thickness planer. I chose the ones with nice figuring, and screwed them to a frame, which is attached to brackets on the SS panel. I counter sunk the screws, and then cut square pegs for the holes. Glued, flush cut, then sanded those. The door was hand sanded with 80 grit, finished with 220, then a liberal coat of Tung oil.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1736.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	297706

Name:	IMG_1737.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	297707

The iron ring is hand forged, taken from a disassembled 18th century barn. After making and installing the plate, I drilled a hole and simply friction fit the pin. I oil finished the ring, but not the pin...a little oxidation will tighten the friction and keep the ring tight. If it ever loosens up, I can put a small piece of lead flashing in the hole.

Name:	IMG_1739.JPG
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	297708

The SS panel was cannibalized from my old gas grill. I don't have a tig welder so everything was riveted together with 3/16" SS rivets. I made the SS brackets out of some old SS termination bar ( a masonry flashing component) One final step I might do will be adding some insulation between the metal and my wood frame, and covering it with a strip of SS....it depends if the heat effects the wood or not. I'll watch it to see what happens...but I'm thinking it won't be necessary.

Name:	IMG_1740.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	297709

Name:	IMG_1741.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	297710

Leave a comment:

• the_dr_masuess
    replied

Wow stone roof is quite amazing. can't wait to see it

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    WOW, over the top if you do this!!!
    Hopefully not over the top in a bad way!

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    No, I used perlcrete exclusively-I'm cheap.
    Ha, that makes two of us. I do use mineral wool too, but it is cheap compared to ceramics.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

WOW, over the top if you do this!!! Bar is getting very high. Another oven

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

No, I used perlcrete exclusively-I'm cheap.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Change of plans on the roof. Instead of cedar shakes, I'm going back to what I was going to do originally....a stone roof. I have something in mind that is similar to these pictures....

Name:	stock-photo-norway-old-house-with-stone-roof-47844613.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	297694

Name:	New Stone Roof 11.jpg
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	297695

I'll be getting started when I return from NE at the end of the month..no time before we leave. Now I just need to return the shakes and nails!

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    That was my link, Skyline products, cheapest board/batt I was able to find.
    Was that what you used for the low dome or for the oven at your home? I am in the planning stages for another oven and I might try ceramic insulation this time because of space.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X