X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stonecutter
    replied
    Re: My Wood fired Redux

Just to wrap this thread up, here are the final details. All the trim installed on the gable is cedar. I plan to let it weather like the shingles, and when I'm satisfied with the color, sealer will be applied. The only thing I may do is add another chimney cap on top of the existing one, to extend the drip line and some detail.

Anyway, thanks to all that have commented on this thread, 'liked' my posts and pictures, and continued productive dialogue. I wish the best to all of you and whatever you choose to build.

For whatever reason, I can only upload one pic at a time from my iPad. So here's the final set.

Stucco chimney, flashing, cedar and granite ridge cap, shingles.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	305713

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I'm not sure why they are producing so well, it's been very hot and no rain. I've had to water twice a day and use rot stop a couple times. The good news is that I've only picked off 2 of those gross horn worms, and no more have reappeared.

Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	305348

Also, we planed collards, seen in from of the tomatoes, as sort of a sacrificial plant. It seems to have worked...none of the tomatoes have been eaten by caterpillars...unlike the collards. I guess southern bugs prefer southern vegetables.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Tscar,

I would be glad to send you some seeds for 2015. I am planning on harvesting seeds again this fall. I have offered them to people on the forum for several years. SC and Gulf seem to have some the best success from their Utah roots.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 07-19-2014, 06:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I grew them one year, but Texas doesn't work for them. Too alkaline, too hot, and too dry. Someone on here sent me the seeds, I forget who, but thank you again.

At Mandola's Market today, they had SM seeds in Italian packaging. It was tempting, but it will have to wait for a greenhouse and start them early.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Those are producing good volumes for heirlooms.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Russ, the plants are doing great. Thanks again for the seed.

Size:	602.9 KB
ID:	305346

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by Toomulla View Post
    If you have a problem with blossom end rot try watering a water soluble calcium product, calcium is not mobile within tomato plants so you will have to continue while they are growing.
    We have been using a liquid spray application....seems to have done the trick.

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
    Water is the other significant factor in blossom end rot. Maintaining a consistent level of available moisture to the plant rather than a harsh cycle of wet and dry in conjunction with an adequate available calcium supply is the answer to managing it.

You can and probably will develop your own strain of tomato that will handle your local conditions better than what you started with.

More strength to the arm of those who develop area specific varieties to share for the common good.
    Thanks guys......I had done some research and came up,with the same info on watering, see posts 386 and 388.

It's been a really dry year here, and even with amended soil it's been tough to keep the moisture level where it needs to be. I am going to install an irrigation system next season.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Water is the other significant factor in blossom end rot. Maintaining a consistent level of available moisture to the plant rather than a harsh cycle of wet and dry in conjunction with an adequate available calcium supply is the answer to managing it.

You can and probably will develop your own strain of tomato that will handle your local conditions better than what you started with.

More strength to the arm of those who develop area specific varieties to share for the common good.

Leave a comment:

• Toomulla
    replied

If you have a problem with blossom end rot try watering a water soluble calcium product, calcium is not mobile within tomato plants so you will have to continue while they are growing.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Proud papa, I can say they originally came from Utah.
    It's a pretty cool thing that started here. Who knows, maybe we can cull the best and have some really strong plants in a few years. I've lost a lot of them to blossom end rot and we're in a drought. But as you can see, the fruit looks very good. I'm going to get a few more and make some fresh sauce....I've got some 00 on day 2 ferment, so I'll let you know how they taste.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    First fruits......

[ATTACH]43694[/ATTACH]
    Wow, I still just have flowers. On the SM's.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Proud papa, I can say they originally came from Utah.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

First fruits......

Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	305236

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Thanks fellas, almost there....

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

I would not expect any thing else from you. Really cool ridge cap.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X