• Tscarborough
    replied
    Re: My Wood fired Redux

Make some damn pizza already.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

For the last brick below the flue base, I beveled the last full brick in the arch to create a sort of ledge. This allows the filler brick to lay at a right angle, and tuck under the flue base to transfer some of the flue weight into the middle of the vent brick.

The ledge...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1529.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	295579

Filler brick. This isn't the one I used, but a piece for testing the fit and angle of the bevel.

Name:	IMG_1530.JPG
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	295580

This is the inside after the piece is mortared in.

Name:	IMG_1532.JPG
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	295581

The opening starts at 11" and opens to 16" in the final full brick. The filler is beveled to direct gas and smoke towards the flue opening, to the 8" flue. This creates sort of a smoke chamber and I've had great success with this in the other ovens. Not necessarily needed, but it works, and it's no extra trouble to do.

Framing layout starts tomorrow afternoon....I'm hoping to start framing Tuesday.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Built the vent and flue base yesterday and that's the last of the brickwork. I incorporated a thermal break in this vent, the first one. The reasoning is sound, and vent walls are never tied into the oven arch anyway, so I thought, why not? I'm going to pack it with mineral wool and then a black stove gasket, tucked back a bit.

I opened the arch by a little over 2", creating a 1" reveal for the door (yet to be built) This arch is better than the oven opening, because my granite one is going to be clean, and I don't want the vent brick visually breaking the arch I carve in the stone.

Name:	IMG_1528.JPG
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	295578

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Stonecutter,

Thanks for the pick, sure looks good for fake lick and stick. You definitely have an eye to make fake or real stone have that random look. Very nice. Type N mortar 2:1 are what components again? Also, can't pay the bills working on your WFO so you have to do what you need to do.
    You're welcome and thank you.

2 = SAND 1 = TYPE N masonry cement. You can also get an acrylic admix like Arcryl 60 (quickcrete admix at big box stores) and add a bit to your mix.

It does help to burn the mortar on the back of the 'stone' ( sorry I must do the quote!) before you butter it up....just like tile work.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 06-14-2013, 08:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Stonecutter,

Thanks for the pick, sure looks good for fake lick and stick. You definitely have an eye to make fake or real stone have that random look. Very nice. Type N mortar 2:1 are what components again? Also, can't pay the bills working on your WFO so you have to do what you need to do.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

As for my oven, total stall mode now. Every weekend for the last six have been spent on a commercial project..going 7 days will kill any home project.

But it looks like I only need to be there Saturday, so maybe I will be able to put up some framing on Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Specifically for Utah Beehiver, this is the fake stone project I mentioned in your thread. Type N mortar mixed 2:1 over a portland based scratch coat and lath.

Name:	IMG_1516.JPG
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	295403

Name:	IMG_1517.JPG
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	295404

Name:	IMG_1518.JPG
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	295405

Name:	IMG_1519.JPG
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	295406

Even though I would never favor adhered veneer over natural stone, I must say it came out better than expected. I don't love the window trim, but those are 22.5* corners (which are mitered) and there was only around 6.5" between the window and the corner, so field pattern wouldn't work like it did below the trim...I wove the 'stone' to avoid a continuous joint.

HO & GC are happy, and I am keeping the wolves away....win - win.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 06-14-2013, 06:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Thanks guys. Style wise, I was influenced by the Inca stonework in machu picchu, and some Japanese stone work I saw. The joints were kept to no more than 3/16".

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Wow.... That's one pretty piece of work!
    I noticed in one shot a piece of stone work intruding on the arch.... Subtle but subdued ... Completely random...I'm not artistic ( my art teacher called my a scribler) ... But do appreciate the art and the finish of your craft !
    Thanks
    Dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-19-2013, 02:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I hear ya' Stonecutter,

That is some beautiful work, stone and hearth. I am still trying to get a finish with wet sand paper. I can actually see a little sheen in places on my work, but nothing like that. I just caught David's post and on his and your recomendations, I just might have to spring for the wet polisher and diamond pads .

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Installed...

Name:	bhearth6.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	294718

Name:	bhearth2.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	294719

Name:	bhearth7.jpg
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	294720

The mix is a highly engineered sand only blend, with a little fiber too. There was also a polymer added, and this concrete is very hard when fully cured...over 6000 psi. I treat it like stone, meaning I profile the edges by hand rather than form them in the mould...because it creates sharper detailing. It also polishes up very nicely, I took this hearth all the way to 3000 grit, then buff, seal and wax. Anyway, this technique has broad applications, and can be used for sinks ( hey Gulf! ) and architectural pieces.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

This is hand pressed concrete slabs used for a fireplace hearth. The main color is charcoal, with pewter veining. If anyone is wondering, the stone on the FP is 4"-6" veneer, and is three-side snapped Tennessee Fieldstone.

The slab..

Name:	final polish2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	294713

Name:	final polish3.jpg
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	294714

Name:	final polish4.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	294715

Name:	final polish9.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	294716

Name:	final polish10.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	294717

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Stonecutter,

I added your formed concrete to a concrete counter link that I maintain if that is okay. It has a hot link in Lburou's FB treasure archives in the Newbie section.
    No I don't mind at all. I had posted another concrete slab I did ( for a fireplace hearth ) on another thread but I can't remember where. I'll upload the pics to this thread and if you want those too, feel free.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Stonecutter,

I added your formed concrete to a concrete counter link that I maintain if that is okay. It has a hot link in Lburou's FB treasure archives in the Newbie section.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Tons of rain the last week and a half. I have only managed to slurry the profiled edges on the watertable...nothing else really. I am hoping to be able to frame around the oven to dry it in and insulate it this weekend. If not..because there may be more rain, I'll at least start carving the outer arch, which will be a solid chunk of granite.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X