Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria

Gudday Paul
    You should change your thinking about the mortar. Yes as your building it grabs each brick and holds it together. But the last brick goes in its role changes.
    You have built yourself a dome. Gravity now becomes the thing that holds that dome together and makes it such a strong structure. The mortar become now somthing that seperates the bricks. The weight above bears down and its those Inside horizontal joints that are inportant to the strength of the structure. The mortar at the back and sides just position the brick and aren't really the load bearing bit.
    By the way I use the Queensland Gudday. It's not as clipped as that from the Guday from down south and said a little more slowly, still one word ,but with 2 difined different 'D' sounds. Spell check hates it
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Yorkie,

Doing really well with your build considering all your cuts are with a angle grinder and a brick chisel. You are getting close to plugging the dome.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Ha Ha,! Gudday Dave, thank you for the dialect correction, we born and bred from Yorkshire also speak more slowly than those from the south that's why I write slowly too so you don't have to read fast.

Joking apart, its good of you to explain about the mortar situation, I had read that the mortar only keeps bricks apart but I still thought it may crumble under the weight, so now with your last post I may sleep better at night.

Hi Ya Russell, yep, getting closer buddy, wish I could get it closed this week but have a few days out and the weather is set to change to rain for a few days, must curb my eagerness.

We visited the Messai Verde last year while staying with family in Colorado so wasn't very far from the four corners and your good self in Utah.

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshireknight View Post

Picture 3 shows my little set up (Bulgarian Jig) I clamp the brick, as shown stick my foot on the board and whizz away, I'm sure H&SE would have something to say about it.
          Hi

That's a pretty good transition for using an angle grinder. It should work really well.

I also used an angle grinder for my build. To cut my bricks I clamped them to an old timber bench seat so I didn't have to bend over so much.
          Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Thanks for the compliment Sharkey, Good idea with your bench set up, my backs been aching like mad, these days I really have to force myself to get out of bed to head on down to my brick pile, but hope to have the dome closed tomorrow.
            Rgds
            Paul

Comment

Been thinking about the front arch and chimney, my opening is 16" by 10
              I have seen various mentions of flue size etc and the rule of thumb seems to be 10 or is it 15% of opening? Can someone tell me if a 6" flue/chimney would be OK for this opening. (the oven is 32 Diameter if that makes a difference))

also what about the size of the opening before the chimney/flue is this the vent?
              Im a little mixed up with Vent and flue/chimney is it all the same thing or is the vent the hole that leads to the flue/chimney.

also about height, Is there any minimum recommendation for this?

Many Thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

Comment

A 6" diam flue is the right size for your oven. Think of the flue as the engine for creating draw, so long as it's hot. Therefore a smaller area at the base of the flue (the vent) can be quite ok because it won't affect the draw of the flue so long as it's no less than about 3/4 the area of the flue chimney. In fact it will act as a Venturi and the smoke will exit there at high speed.
                Increasing the height of the flue will increase the draw, but have a smaller effect than an increase in flue area or diameter.
                I think the chimney flue should be a MINIMUM of 15% of the oven opening area for your sized oven.
                Last edited by david s; 09-30-2013, 10:09 PM.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Yippee! Closed the dome!!, so many thanks for everyone's guiding hand along the way you have all been both an inspiration and wealth of knowledge.

The work is not nearly half as neat as those I have tried to emulate and aspire to, in fact looking at the photographs it looks better from the outside

On finishing row 9 I had a gap of 7" top 5" bottom, so I cut and shaped a couple of bricks for 2 sides and a couple of shims for the other 2 sides and this left me with a rectangle of about 2" bottom and 4" top after going up and down the ladder 3000 times I managed to get it to slide in a bit of Cement around the whole brick a few taps with a hammer and it was sealed.

I notice everyone has round plugs, but I went ahead with my rectangular trapezoid shaped thing thinking it doesn't make a difference as long as its plugged. Am I right, the shape doesn't matter?

Now for phase 2 the Front arch vent and chimney.

Many Thanks David for your explanation of flue and vent workings.

I wish to try and copy Sharkey's and others who have done theirs similar.

regarding photos 3 & 4 : I can make the reveal 2" or perhaps 1 1/2 " but both would leave a gap at the end of brick (photo4) Is this a problem?
                  Does it not matter the size of reveal?

With regards to the 6" flue do I leave a gap therefor of 6" for the vent between the top of the internal arch and top back of the front arch

How wide does the brick need to be? my bricks are just shy of 10" therefor Im thinking 4" for the front arch the rest for the vent part. Is 4" strong enough for support.

also what I'm trying to work out is: if my front arch is 16" wide internal and I make a 2" reveal that means at the top dead centre it will be only 10" from the floor and my existing arch is 10 1/2 " I know Im missing something but as I said before I'm not the brightest button in the box when it comes to numbers.

So if anyone can understand my jibberings and can point me in the right direction for phase 2 again will be much appreciated.

Paul

Comment

yorkie,

congrats on plugging the dome. IMHO a 1" reveal or larger should be just fine. Just remember not to make the door to close the the radius of the outer decorative arch or it is difficult to remove the door. Attached is a pic of my inner and outer arch. Notice how the decorative arch is slightly inset from the vent chamber. This was suggested by Karangi Dude during my build. Don't throw way your inner arch form, it will serve as a template for your door. Here are some pics of how I handled the anchor plate for the flue. These pics are looking at the bottom of the cap so the bricks acted as an support for the anchor plate as well as the concrete expansion bolts. There are many other ways to do it.
                    Russell

Comment

Cheers Russell for the input, Looking at your arch picture, It looks like you reduced the size of the bricks going around was it for any particular reason or is it just for cosmetic looks?

Like the idea of the recess and thanks for the heads up about the door coming in and out.

Does the door have to be flush to the sides all around because I was just going to make the door a tad smaller for that reason.

That's some pretty neat cutting and shaving around your hole (if you pardon the expression) and like the Keystone finish, might attept that just need to get my head around this next stage.

Comment

Cosmetic and to keep a consistent mortar joint width. When you mean flush, do you mean the same diameter as the outer edge of the reveal, if so, the answer is no. My reveal is quite large, 2.5" and my door seal is about an inch larger than the insided diameter of my inner arch.
                        Russell

Comment

Yes I did mean that Russell, so thanks for that, so what holds it up against the arch? weight and width of the door jamb?

Comment

Self supporting, weights about 12 lbs. I do have a bottom flange for stability when not on the oven.
                            Russell

Comment

Like it Russell, I think I shall copy that design if you don't mind, my friend has just arrived back from the Uk with a load of metal working gear with him so I shall be seeing him when I'm ready with a bit of paper in hand with your design, on it.
                              First one I've seen to be honest but it looks practical.

Comment

Finished the Vent,

One brick has slipped slightly so I will have to take the small angle grinder to it and flatten it to allow the future door jamb to go in and out easier.

On looking at the size flues available here, I've not come found a 150mm (6")
                                but 130mm (a tad over (5") are the norm.

I hope with the height of the flue approx. 3m,when completed, the draw will work OK.

The gaps around the flue pipe will need filling in with something

Comment

Working...
                                X