My Old Kentucky Dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oven door

The door looks very nice i like it very much and simple to build...
    HTML Code:
    One project I need to do is disassemble the door, trim the insulation
    slightly around the edges and line the edges with some aluminum 
    flashing to keep the insulation from flaking off into the oven. 
    Other than that, the door works great
    Don't you have the same problem also on the internal side of the door? Or because the grain of the Kaowool is on the smooth side it does flake off through the opening of the extended steel? Thanks a lot for your advices
    Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

• Re: oven door

Originally posted by biondoli View Post
      Don't you have the same problem also on the internal side of the door? Or because the grain of the Kaowool is on the smooth side it does flake off through the opening of the extended steel? Thanks a lot for your advices
      The expanded metal protects the interior side of the Kaowool very nicely. As long as it stays dry the board is very stable. I haven't noticed any flaking, chipping or wear on the inside.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

• Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Girl Scouts End-of-School-Year Pizza Party.
        We had a great afternoon. We provided the pizza, other parents provided drinks and salads. My son and I made 30 dough balls last night (my poor Cuisinart got HOT). Dave's dough recipe was perfect.

1st pic is me showing the girls how to build a pie.
        2nd pic is me wishing I had a beer (wouldn't be appropriate at a Girl Scout party!)
        3rd and 4th pics... plating and cooking pies!
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Comment

Very cool. Lucky G-scouts. I was 48 years old before I ever heard of a wood fired pizza oven. And these kids WILL remember.

dusty

Comment

Ken, your oven and arbor looks fantastic. I keep coming back to your pictures and just sit here looking at them.
            Journal of My Oven's Progress

Comment

Hi Ken, What was the depth of your hearth pour? 3.5? 4? I am starting my block stand (4 x 4.5 blocks) today and hoping to pour the hearth next weekend or so. It appears you used the 2 inch SuperIsol board and not the vermiculite for insulation... Are you satisfied with that? Would you recommended this? I am building a 36 inch oven. I hope you can help me here. Thanks, Dan

Comment

Originally posted by schallert View Post
                Hi Ken, What was the depth of your hearth pour? 3.5? 4?
                Hi Dan!

If I remember right, I used 2x6 boards clamped to the block base giving me a 4" thick hearth.

It appears you used the 2 inch SuperIsol board and not the vermiculite for insulation... Are you satisfied with that? Would you recommended this?
                Yes, I used 2" thick refractory board and it seems to insulate just fine. You won't go wrong with 2" Forno Bravo Board (SuperIsol).

Since you are referencing my build, do NOT use the brand of board I used. I won't mention the brand name here to avoid confusion.

The stuff you want is Forno Bravo's board.
                Ken H. - Kentucky
                42" Pompeii

Comment

Hi Ken,
                  Your oven turned out great I noticed you face-tapered your soldier course (if I interpret you photos correctly). Did you use your 10 inch HF wet saw for this? It seems that since the face of the brick is 4.5" and the saw blade diameter is 10", it must have been a tight squeeze to get the brick past the blade to make the cut. At any rate, your joints look very clean.
                  Off topic, Louisville, flying...UPS pilot?
                  gene

Comment

Originally posted by ggoose View Post
                    I noticed you face-tapered your soldier course (if I interpret you photos correctly). Did you use your 10 inch HF wet saw for this? It seems that since the face of the brick is 4.5" and the saw blade diameter is 10", it must have been a tight squeeze to get the brick past the blade to make the cut.
                    Yes, I tapered the top edge of the soldier bricks with my 10" HF. I laid each brick on the saw table with the wide side down. No problem with clearance.

Off topic, Louisville, flying...UPS pilot?
                    Excellent sleuth work . I fly the 757 & 767 for UPS.
                    Ken H. - Kentucky
                    42" Pompeii

Comment

Yes, I see you angle-cut the top of the soldiers, but I was curious about the sides (wide sides)...they appear tapered from inside-out in the photos, or again, I could be perceiving it incorrectly.
                      gene

Comment

Originally posted by ggoose View Post
                        I was curious about the sides (wide sides)...they appear tapered from inside-out in the photos
                        Wow... I had completely forgotten that I did that. Yes, they are tapered (I tapered only one side) and I made the cuts with the HF 10".

I honestly can't remember if I made the cuts in one shot or had to flip the bricks over. It's been 3 years and my memory is getting really sketchy on the details
                        Ken H. - Kentucky
                        42" Pompeii

Comment

great job....I like the way you tied everything in together with the patterned concrete....also nice work on the pergola~!

Comment

For anyone interested, I have reworked my construction time lapse video. The old Dean Martin music was starting to get on my nerves. You can only listen to "That's Amore" so many times before fatigue sets in...

I reorganized the photos a bit and produced it in HD.

Ken H. - Kentucky
                            42" Pompeii

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
                              Dave,

My transition starts out underneath the arch and is pretty much the width of the arch, then slants upward to the top of the arch where it's about a half brick deep by about 13" wide (5 bricks on edge)

The transition is simply a square brick box with an 8"x8" interior sitting on top of it. I cut the lower bricks in wedge shapes to conform to the arch. Easy.

Will it work?? Beats me! I've never built one of these before.

I have really enjoyed your photos etc of your build. Can you advise me if you have used non firebricks to build the exterior arch? Also is it considered necessary to have a thermal break between the interior and the exterior arch?Thanks Jonnymac

Comment

Hi Jonny,

Sorry I missed your post. The arch that is pictured above was built with the same firebricks as the dome. The color difference was due to the bricks being wet. The outer, decorative arch (not pictured above) was done with house bricks.

I didn't use thermal breaks anywhere. I had actually planned some but decided the amount of energy transfer wasn't worth the effort. My oven cooks like a champ and never disappoints.
                                Ken H. - Kentucky
                                42" Pompeii

Comment

Working...
                                X