My Old Kentucky Dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Ciao Ken, porceilan is good for outdoor, choose the ticker one as there are very tiny tiles as well, the other option is granite tiles, they are becaming cheaper now and they look better...just another option. Hope to start on mine this week end! Carlo
    Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Ken - I went w/ Porcelain. Made it through the winter with no problems. I used the recommended thin set for installation, a little more money but it obviously worked. I found the selection to be very limited, I settled for the attached thumbnail. Carlo, they advised me not to use granite as it will most likely crack in this environment.

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Ken,

You're a patient man: good work. Remember, the concrete screws should be just snug, not tight.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Glad spring has arrived and you're able to start back on this project. I'm also glad to see soot on your entry area, after seeing your video and that draw I saw was great I was wondering if I had to do my chimney area over again. It seems to draw good, I'm wondering if my wood isn't season enough.
          I see you have the arch/vent area covered with the blanket, have you noticed that area getting hot?
          Enjoy the spring, it will get hot to soon.
          RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
          Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
            Ken - I went w/ Porcelain. Made it through the winter with no problems. I used the recommended thin set for installation, a little more money but it obviously worked. I found the selection to be very limited, I settled for the attached thumbnail. Carlo, they advised me not to use granite as it will most likely crack in this environment.

Les...
            Les, I have the same grill, got it at Loews two years ago. A year later I find out that Jenn-aire just slaps their name on it and a so-so company makes it. HD and Loews does the same thing with their wet saws. Haven't had any issues with the grill so pleased it's holding up. All the appliances for our new house were also JA and I'm glad I got their extended warranty - already paid for itself.
            We'll use the grill for quick items put plan on using the WFO much more versus the rotassiare.
            RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
            Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
              We looked at porcelain tile at Home Depot last week. They have some nice stuff that looks like stone. That's probably the way I'll finish the landing. Fast and easy. Anyone have any advice in this area?? Is porcelain tile a reasonable outdoor finish material?
              We went with slate for a rustic look, but I am guessing that it's going to be a bear to keep clean. I'm a slave to fashion.

Ceramic tile sounds perfect. Hearty, good-looking and easy to clean. If you do a good job of sealing the mortar it will keep your counter nice and fresh.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
                Les, I have the same grill, got it at Loews two years ago.

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but... RC - do you have the quick disconnects on the gas line. Every once in a while I smell gas and that's where it has to be coming from. When I do the soap and water trick I see nothing.

Les...
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by biondoli View Post
                  the other option is granite tiles, they are becaming cheaper now and they look better...just another option.
                  Thank Carlo! Does the granite or porcelain require any sort of sealer after grouting? I've heard that some natural stone needs to be sealed for outdoor use. I appreciate the advice!

Originally posted by Les
                  I went w/ Porcelain. Made it through the winter with no problems... they advised me not to use granite as it will most likely crack in this environment.
                  Thanks Les. I have been warned by someone in a home store about using some types of stone. I don't remember which ones are safe. Your porcelain work looks very nice. Thanks for the pic! I definitely won't go wrong going that route.
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
                    You're a patient man: good work. Remember, the concrete screws should be just snug, not tight.
                    Got it. Thanks!!
                    Ken H. - Kentucky
                    42" Pompeii

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
                      I'm also glad to see soot on your entry area, after seeing your video and that draw I saw was great I was wondering if I had to do my chimney area over again.
                      Actually, most of that soot was from when I started a fire on the landing and hearth trying to dry out my insulation board. I wouldn't touch your vent. It looks great and I'll bet if draws just fine.

I see you have the arch/vent area covered with the blanket, have you noticed that area getting hot?
                      Yeah, it gets pretty warm. I probably don't need the blankets, but I had the extra pieces so I threw them on.
                      Ken H. - Kentucky
                      42" Pompeii

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                        Ceramic tile sounds perfect. Hearty, good-looking and easy to clean. If you do a good job of sealing the mortar it will keep your counter nice and fresh.
                        James
                        Glad to hear! Thanks James.
                        Ken H. - Kentucky
                        42" Pompeii

Comment

Ken,
                          let me recap:
                          ceramic is ok for outside if your area doesn't go down to freezing temperatures and it is sensitive to drastic temp change as well. To be safe I would stay with porcelain. Granite is ok for outside especially if you use tiles and not a big slab, which instead is more delicate. In Italy all the ovens I have seen have granite as landing and working areas....maybe because is cheaper than porcelain Regarding sealing, I would not do it as far as you use it, there is no better sealing that all the stuff that you will spill there on the landing, like olive oil, flour etc. I would seal it if you plan to not use it for long time, like long winter. Ciao Carlo
                          Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

I know i'm a newbie here but i think i can offer some insight to the tile question as i am in the tile industry. porcelain tile and ceramic tile are non porous (<.05%) and therefore don't need to be sealed. natural stone, ie marble granite and slate, need to be sealed. ceramic tile is not suited for outside as it is not frost free. marble, granite and slate TILE should not be used outside either as they will crack in frost conditions (expansion contraction). maybe not overnight, but almost definitely guaranteed. in frost environments most stone tiles need to be 3/4" thick to ensure it won't crack. so while stone tile is beautiful be sure to use the right material. porcelain tile is the most durable believe it or not. hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by ajc001 View Post
                              porcelain tile and ceramic tile are non porous (<.05%) and therefore don't need to be sealed... porcelain tile is the most durable believe it or not. hope this helps.
                              Porcelain it is then! Thanks so much for throwing your two cents in. It's great that we have so many people with different areas of expertise.

Welcome to the Pizza forum!
                              Ken H. - Kentucky
                              42" Pompeii

Comment

glad i could help! i know i'll be looking to all of you when i start my project (most likely not this summer unfortunately) i just keep telling myself "all good things come to those who wait"

Comment

Working...
                                X