Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Originally posted by ajc001 View Post
    glad i could help! i know i'll be looking to all of you when i start my project (most likely not this summer unfortunately) i just keep telling myself "all good things come to those who wait"
    When you start, be sure to take pictures and share them with the group!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I have to agree with ajc on the tile. Porcelain is the way to go. I have an outside cabinet with a large cast iron sink and a tile countertop. Although its under the patio roof its right at the outside edge. It still gets rain and snow and i've never had a cracking problem. I believe that proper grouting is also critical. There are sealers to apply but being outside it will probably have to be reapplied on occassion. But i found a 2 part grout at Lowes. You mix an epoxy with it. The stuff seems to be bullet proof. The trick is to work quickly so it doesn't start to set up on you. I applied it with a grout float then wiped the tiles with a common grout sponge. It still looks like the day i applied it.

Comment

I've used that epoxy grout too, on my mother in law's wall behind her cooktop. It's very durable and doesn't stain. It is a bit "spendy", though. However, as the man says, it's pretty much bulletproof, so it might be a good choice if you're worried about durability and stain resistance. WEAR GLOVES!
        Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
          I've used that epoxy grout too, on my mother in law's wall behind her cooktop. It's very durable and doesn't stain. It is a bit "spendy", though. However, as the man says, it's pretty much bulletproof, so it might be a good choice if you're worried about durability and stain resistance. WEAR GLOVES!
          This one is a keeper. Do other folks have experience with epoxy grout outside? Our slab granite joints were sealed (inside kitchen) with color-in epoxy. This sounds like something in the middle. How wide of a joint can you make with it?

James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I think the widest recommended joint was 1/8". The tiles I was using were porcelain. I don't think you can use it with just anything- I suspect it would stain natural stone, although I am not sure. It's pretty sticky and you have to use vinegar to clean up- but it was pretty straightforward to work with otherwise.
            Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

James....i don't remember exactly what the grout line max size was but mine are 3/16. And as egalecki stated it is a tad pricey but i believe its worth the extra cost.

Comment

Went and did my homework and refreshed my memory. The product is called Spectralock and is made by a company named Laticrete. Its a sanded grout so it can be used in wider grout lines.In a small line like an 1/8 inch it will be a courser texture because of the sand. The product information is at LATICRETE? International > Home

Comment

Super discussion! Thanks for all the input.
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Comment

Ken,

I've started my oven (and my thread)...

What did you finally decide to use to coat your board with to prevent water issues. I got the Iso board and want to pour concrete around it (halfway up) then colored concrete the rest of the way and over the top (hope that makes sense). Basically I'll pour concrete all around my hearth to make it level with thefire brick entrance. I didn't want the board to suck out all of the water so I wanted to put something on it like a sealer.

Let me know.

Thanks
                    Dick
                    thebadger

Comment

Dick,

I haven't had a chance to do any more work yet. But when I pour my concrete up against the insulation board, I plan on using some Saran wrap to keep the concrete and board separate. Simple and easy.
                      Ken H. - Kentucky
                      42" Pompeii

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
                        ...when I pour my concrete up against the insulation board...
                        Ken, just curious, how do you intend to "attach" this concrete to the hearth? Just an acid wash, or something more mechanical? I may run into this same situation with mine. If you had to do it over again, would you pour this concrete at the same time as your hearth, or add some rebar sticking up?

Daren
                        Picasa web album
                        Oven-building thread

Comment

The idea (borrowed from others, of course) is to try to grab as much smoke leaving the oven and give it an easy way to flow up to the chimney. I made some 45deg cuts on the outer vent arch bricks. The next set of arch bricks will have similar cuts continuing the 45deg angle up to the top of the vent
                          your post #230
                          Hi Ken, what is the size of your opening vent? I like the way you modeled it...thinking to copy it, happy with that kind of transition?...thanks
                          Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Originally posted by dbhansen View Post
                            Ken, just curious, how do you intend to "attach" this concrete to the hearth? Just an acid wash, or something more mechanical?
                            Daren,

I think an acid wash would be enough. There shouldn't be much stress on this part and it will be sealed from moisture.

Someone posted that they drilled holes in the hearth and dropped short pieces of rebar in. That seems like a good idea.

Another thought I have is to drill several small holes in the foundation and screw in some TapCon concrete screws, leaving them sticking up about an inch. Sort of like mini rebar. I think they would keep the landing from shifting if the new concrete doesn't adhere to the hearth.

If you had to do it over again, would you pour this concrete at the same time as your hearth, or add some rebar sticking up?
                            Probably not. I had NO idea how I was going to finish this out. My plan changed a half dozen times before I poured the hearth, and it's changed another dozen times since the pour .
                            Ken H. - Kentucky
                            42" Pompeii

Comment

Originally posted by biondoli View Post
                              your post #230
                              Hi Ken, what is the size of your opening vent? I like the way you modeled it...thinking to copy it, happy with that kind of transition?...thanks
                              Carlo,

I'm out of town for the next several days so I can't measure. You can probably estimate fairly closely by counting bricks. I think the top of the opening is around 12 inches wide. The width is exactly a half brick. The vent box above it then tapers it down to an 8" square for the Duratech mount.

I didn't worry too much about measurements when building it. I just did it so it "looked" right . Works great.
                              Ken H. - Kentucky
                              42" Pompeii

Comment

I haven't had a chance to do any more work yet. But when I pour my concrete up against the insulation board, I plan on using some Saran wrap to keep the concrete and board separate.
                                Ken, why not aluminum foil so just in case some heat will escape will not burn the plastic film...
                                Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Working...
                                X