Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Casa 90 corner build (and outdoor kitchen) begins....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations on your first pizza. That feels good to start making pizza. As for working the dough it takes a little practice you will get it in time I am sure. You could try a different recipe that is not quite as wet to get the feel for it. Also make sure to use a lot of flour so it doesn't stick to everything.

Where did you get your stone? It looks very simular to what I used. Mine was called nicollet weather edge. I got it from menards it was pretty nice to work with once I got the hang of it.

Randy

Comment

Hi Randy. Sorry about the delayed response, I just saw your post today. My stone is Coronado Idaho Drystack. The color is Chablis. Looks like your stone is mortared between and not a drystack? It's really unbelievable how labor intensive the stone veneer is. I ended up cutting damn near every piece. And trying to mix up the size, shapes, color and trying to break up horizontal and vertical lines....it hurts my head thinking about it.

Idaho Drystack Thin Manufactured Stone Veneer.

Comment

No I have not forgotten about this thread. I had vacation and a lot of other stuff going on so the project had minimal progress for a while. The big hold up was my concrete pieces that I subbed out. Those guys took an extra month to finish the pieces, but once they finally went in I could continue with the stone veneer. Here are the concrete pieces in and some stone veneer done:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160619_165047.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	389767

each day I made a little progress....

Name:	20160622_193534.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	389768

until I was placing the final pieces....

Name:	20160624_160210.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	389770

Somewhere in there I also built my small brick arch which turned out well.
        Attached Files

Comment

And now the project is complete! Woooo! Here are the final pictures of the wfo and outdoor kitchen with a pic of the original patio for comparison:

Name:	IMG_0510_renamed_6298.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	389777

Name:	20160626_163414.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	389773

Name:	20160626_163305.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	389775

Name:	20160626_163347.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	389776

Huge thanks to Randy, Utah, David S, and others who provided invaluable help along the way. This site is an amazing resource. People have been amazed that I was able to build this thing (frankly I'm kind of amazed too). When they ask me how I did it I mention this site of course. Thanks guys!
          Attached Files

Comment

A few more pics...

Name:	20160628_104021.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	389779

Name:	20160628_104033.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	389780

Name:	20160628_104120 (1).jpg
Views:	285
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	389781

Comment

Wow that turned out incredible. You should be very proud of that. It is amazing what you can build when you put your mind to it. I wish I had mine covered like yours, and with that much counter space. Great job. So have you done much cooking in it yet.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by terdferguson View Post
                Hi Randy. Sorry about the delayed response, I just saw your post today. My stone is Coronado Idaho Drystack. The color is Chablis. Looks like your stone is mortared between and not a drystack? It's really unbelievable how labor intensive the stone veneer is. I ended up cutting damn near every piece. And trying to mix up the size, shapes, color and trying to break up horizontal and vertical lines....it hurts my head thinking about it.
                With the freeze thew cycle we have up here a dry stack would probably not last real long. The ice would get in behind it and pop it off. So I did the whole thing like you did then went back and grouted the whole thing. What a pain that was. Your veneer looks very simular to what I used.

Randy

Comment

Kudos on completing the build. You can say " built it myself"...........nice looking.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post

With the freeze thew cycle we have up here a dry stack would probably not last real long. The ice would get in behind it and pop it off. So I did the whole thing like you did then went back and grouted the whole thing. What a pain that was. Your veneer looks very simular to what I used.

Randy
                    Ah, I see. The veneer was incredibly labor intensive so I can't imagine having to go back and grout the whole thing. That would be rough.

Comment

• Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                      Wow that turned out incredible. You should be very proud of that. It is amazing what you can build when you put your mind to it. I wish I had mine covered like yours, and with that much counter space. Great job. So have you done much cooking in it yet.

Randy

I've made pizza about 5 or 6 times now. Learned a lot really quickly. We just hosted an engagement party. I made about 20 pizzas and it went smoothly.

I'm getting temps of about 450 the next day and 250 the day after that. I'm sure I will improve on that even more when I make an insulated door like you have.

Comment

• You can actually put some decorations after you build and after painting it. You have to choose a color that would fit and gives off a nice ambiance. But I like the structure of your house though.

Comment

Working...
                        X