New build - 1.2M dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally have the tapered arch in place

It was a bit tricky but I'm happy enough with how it turned out. Hopefully things will progress a big more quickly now.

Comment

That's impressive work. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the dome go up!
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

That's awesome Jonv! Really interesting seeing the complete arch with angles prepared for the dome incorporation. I don't think I would have been able to dream of doing that back when I did my oven...that's why I used the square/angle iron entry method . If I build another oven, I'll certainly come back to this build and use all the tips you got from other forum members to create this beauty! It's fantastic what's being created with input from the forum. Thanks to Utahbeehiver, Gulf, JRPizza, MrChipster, Deejayoh, David S, CobblerDave, and many, many others for their continued interest in seeing EVERYONE succeed here!
        Last edited by SableSprings; 10-24-2016, 12:38 PM.
        Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
        Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
        Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
        Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks both! It really is great to have the collective experiences of so many previous builds to go on. Much easier than the pioneering stuff other folk have done

Comment

Great job! Jonv.

That will be a set of pics for lots of future oven builders to reference. A picture is worth a thousand words .
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Top notch, done nicely.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging comments folks

First two courses are done... twelve more to go.

Comment

Looking good.

S

Comment

This might take a while... two more courses done.

Comment

Looking good! It goes faster once you are over the arch. Smaller circumference, and the cuts are all the same. Tricky part is gravity becomes more of a factor
                      My build progress

Comment

That's true, although it is going to be much more tricky to work on when I get that high up. It looks so much bigger than it did on paper!

Comment

Bigger, yes - I can see that! you could live in that thing

Gravity can make it tricky, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well the homebrew holds the bricks, if you mix the consistency right. I found I never had to use any sort of support beyond a couple minutes with the IT.
                          My build progress

Comment

I'm dreaming of jamming a whole pig in it sometime

I am expecting gravity to become a bit of a factor on the next course - I already noticed a couple of bricks drifting forwards slightly and needing to be held in place for a few seconds before the mortar grabbed hold. I'm using an aluminate cement rather than the homebrew. I suspect that it is a bit more tricky to use but it does set up much more quickly.

Comment

One of the more nicer builds I have seen in a while, very nice brick work. Patience is a virtue.
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks! Luckily, patience I have... the other skills I'm still learning

Comment

Working...
                                X