Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I covered it with a tarp but I'll go wrap it now - thanks for the tip

Comment

• cnegrelli I dug out a photo that shows the break... it's only a small gap so its effectiveness is limited, but it does appear to help a fair bit.

Comment

• Started the decorative brickwork... and now have an even deeper respect for the bricklayers who make this look easy. Must confess I found this difficult - it came out ok but took me a long time. If the rain stays away I'll look at the arch tomorrow.

Comment

• Hey jonv, I just layed the mesh wire over my fire blanket. Did you just use cement for the base coat? Or is the perlite/vermiculite mix is the way to go, then put the top coat? What are your thoughts. What top coat did you use by the way?

Comment

• I guess it depends on how much insulation you want but with four inches of 128kg blanket I decided that I didn't need a layer of vermicrete. I seem to recall some suggestion that it might be easier to shape if the dome is out of shape somehow, but mine was reasonably round and I fitted the blanket carefully to keep the shape.

I just used sand and cement for both layers, a stronger mix for the base coat. I added a waterproofer to both and also some colour to the top coat - although it has dried so pale that I think I'll paint over it anyway.

It is well worth taking the time to get the shape right on the base coat so that you can concentrate on the finish with the top coat. Initially I thought this would be really difficult but found that by looking at the silhouette as I walked round the dome I could easily see the low/high spots and with surprising accuracy. I would recommend using a sponge to finish as it sets up - if done right and at the appropriate stage, it will take out all the little flats left by the float.

Comment

• Wet weather has delayed further work on the oven, but I've made some progress on the gazebo. Need to put in some corner bracing and board and fibreglass the roof.

Comment

• The gazebo is almost finished - just a few bits left to fit, then painting, and fibreglassing the roof - so I made a little more progress on the oven's outer skin. I was foolish to think the tricky brickwork was finished with the dome - didn't enjoy this part at all Don't know why, just struggled to get it right. Will be filling in the gap between the sides and arch with some slips before running a couple of full courses around the top.

Comment

• The chimney is finally finished

The brickwork needs a good clean - their rough surface has picked up tons of mortar and I'm not good enough to avoid spreading it all over the place. I have a bit more painting to do and will eventually get around to rendering the base and a few other cosmetic jobs but not in a hurry

Comment

• Nice use of different size bricks and linear and curve lines.
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Thanks - I was trying to follow the shape of the underlying firebrick chimney so was left with some odd gaps to fill

Comment

• Bit of fun today gently planishing a sheet of copper to make a cover for the dome's steam vent. Drilled some holes in a piece of 22mm pipe and soldered it in the centre of the copper dish. That should keep the rain out

Comment

• Hi boss have you any up to date photos ?

Comment

• Nothing much to report Bauldy... finished the gazebo roof, though

Comment

• Looking fantastic it's the project that keeps on giving.Do you get any steam from vent?

Comment

• I had some when I was firing it some weeks after the render had been put on. The dome was hotter than usual and if I covered the hole for a moment with a sheet of something I could see vapour gathering on it. The dome is back to being cool to the touch so I guess little steam if any is now escaping but it gives it somewhere to go if (when!?) the insulation does pick up a little moisture

Comment

Working...
                                X