Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mk e
    replied
    We did our 1st bread a couple weeks ago...it came out pretty good but the oven wasn't quite hot enough so it didn't really want to brown properly, but still tasted good. I'd only done a small fire so it was only reading 550F on the floor when I did the pizza, then our metal fire pit I thought I'd pull the fire out and into had rusted so I just fit the door and waited about an hour, sure enough the fire was out, so the bread went in ...i actually relit the old fire last night to get things started with a new fire, turns out the door seals pretty well . anyway it was showing about 350F on the door thermometer when the bread went in then struggled to hit 325 when the door went back on.....it just wasn't hot enough and the fire wasn't burning long enough to really heat the oven I guess. Everything was hotter for the cookies last night....oven floor 670, oven burning about 1.5 hours before I pulled the fire out, door thermometer was showing about 430F when they went in and about 400 while they cooked....I think I have it now.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mk e; 09-07-2020, 08:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    Tried something new tonight....chocolate chip cookies...mmmmmm
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Very nice build...very clean looking and very functionable outdoor kitchen...congrats and enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    mike, umm, I am impressed that you did this conversion let alone own a Ferrari.
    mostly did the conversion....like everything else in my live its still a work in progress, the engine is in bits at the moment. I've had the car for many years, literally bought it from a salvage yard, not crashed or rusted but everything was in such bad shape finish wise even the cars guy wasn't sure there was enough good stuff for with to get his money back so he sold it to me whole. Every year it gets a little attention so eventually it will be nice. Lana is very good at finding "better" uses for my time like say building her a pizza over

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    mike, umm, I am impressed that you did this conversion let alone own a Ferrari.

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
    I'd be curious to know what your door weight is at this stage. My completed door is 10lb 6 oz with 4" of insulation. When you finish your door try to take pictures and maybe post on the "Show us your Door" thread - it's a great resource for prospective door builders.
    Its got to be about 12lb as it sits and adding a 16g back to hold insulation would add another 4ish lbs.

edit - Bathroom scale says 11.6 as it sits so close guess. I was kind of going for easy over light. the frame I added is 1.5"x.125" , I wanted to be sure it would it would hold the face straight.

Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
    Nice weld job
    thanks...I've had some practice over the years. here's the last SS job I did, headers for my V12 ferrari, formerly the frankenferrari but increasing known as the project from h_ll in my house.
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-308-v12-swap/

Click image for larger version  Name:	2009-12-14%2520004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.2 KB ID:	418376
    Last edited by mk e; 12-08-2019, 12:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    You are doing it right by using ss instead of carbon steel or aluminum. SS has the lowest K value of the three. Once insulated, the heat loss will improve greatly. You are fortunate you can weld on SS.
    Whilst stainless has lower thermal conductivity than mild steel or aluminium, it is still very conductive and can become dangerously hot. It’s main disadvantage is that it warps badly from heat, not only in fabrication but also in service. This can result in losing a decent seal. A thicker gauge is less likely to warp, but then you have more conductive thermal mass sucking your heat out of the oven. I rather like the old Italian solution of a wooden door, soaked in a bucket of water and sealed up with excess bread dough.

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Nice weld job. I made mine with carbon steel as that is what my MIG was set up for. Fast tacks and I was lucky not to get any warpage. It's slowly rusting from heat and moisture, so I'll probably try to make the next one from stainless.
    I'd be curious to know what your door weight is at this stage. My completed door is 10lb 6 oz with 4" of insulation. When you finish your door try to take pictures and maybe post on the "Show us your Door" thread - it's a great resource for prospective door builders.
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...r-thread/page8

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    Low k and more importantly matches the the grill so its anle to be Lana approved.

SS welds pretty nice with stick, mig (gas of flux core) or tig....I mostly tig everything since that the one still laying on the bench from last time I welded and never picked up........

I started with brushed plate then gave the whole thing a sand with 240 grit going with the original brush direction which brough the sheen back pretty nice.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    You are doing it right by using ss instead of carbon steel or aluminum. SS has the lowest K value of the three. Once insulated, the heat loss will improve greatly. You are fortunate you can weld on SS.

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    Took nearly every clamp I own but I got the the warped mess of a door straight and now have a place to add insulation should I even get to it.

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Thanks M ke,

Did you separate the coals from the ash before you pushed them back against the side walls?
    Thanks...I was terrified I was going to burn it....I rushed the door this morning and warped it pretty bad welding...I'll need to fix that Then the wind was crazy so I decided to keep some fire...it worked.

It honestly never occurred to me to try and remove the ash so I just divided the pile down both sides and gave it a quick brush. The oven is 40" so the fire was 12"- 15" from the pan on the sides and the door did a good job keeping the wind from stirring things up. The 1st plan was to pull up the fire and the ash with it....but when I made the last minute change everything stayed in.

i wasn't sure how useful the thermometer would end up being but i kind of like it...just big enough to see from the house and it seemed to be reading about 25f higher than my laser read the oven floor near the pan do right on i guess. It has a 6" probe which seems to be enough.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Thanks M ke,

I look forward every year to someone documenting their Thanksgiving turkey. It's especially great to see someone's first turkey in their wfo. It looks looks like you nailed it. Did you separate the coals from the ash before you pushed them back against the side walls?

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    Best turkey EVER!!!!

It turned out absolutely amazing. The high temp at first seemed to seal it, so good inside. Whether I can duplicate the result next year is the real test I guess

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    It look good! Temp has dropped to about 320f at this point, Turkey's at 165f, time to eat

Leave a comment:

Working...
X