My build in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Before you place the final nonpcrete render be sure let it dry well and begin the cure process. Also suggest leaving a blockout that extends down to the ceramic blanket at the apex of the dome. You can use what you folks call a breather valve. This allows any water that gets in or is in the dome area vent out. When liquid water converts to steam, the volume increases by a factor of 1500. A vent allow the pressure to release without building up under the dome and cracking the pcrete or final render. Attached is a pic of what we use in the States but you have similar versions in the UK available at any auto parts store Eday UK for relatively cheap. Some builders in the UK doing cast builds found some on I think Ebay UK.

I did most of my research via Youtube and reading other bits on the internet and only starting using this place until just before the start of my post. What a wealth of knowledge, wish i would of found Forno Bravo earlier.
    Can you supply a pic of the valve in place if possible, would this stop in until fully cured and then take out and fill in?
    Anyone reading this trowel your render from the bottom and push upwards, i learnt the hard way. It wont stay on pushing it in or dabbing it on!
    Last edited by stonejumper; 08-01-2020, 12:36 PM.

Comment

The vent on my oven I leave in since my dome is exposed and not under cover. This ensure any water that gets in and coverts to steam gets out. Click image for larger version

Name:	99 Course 6 6.19.14-001.JPG
Views:	936
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	426959
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I have ordered some sample mosiac tile. Im 50/50 on whether to just top coat render or tile the dome. If i did what finish would be best for tiling onto, scratch coat render? I also plan on using some weather proofing solution onto the render or tiles when finished, anyone have any experience on doing this?

Comment

I am currently at the same point in figuring out the top coat render of the dome. I finished the fiber blanket and perlite/concrete insulation about a week ago, and I left a place for a vent. I have done tile and glass mosaics in the past, so I am considering something like that on the dome, but I want to finish my chimney and start curing the oven before that final decision.

What is the best time to do the rendering coat? Should this wait until the curing fires and all of the moisture is vented off of the pcrete insulation layers?
          What is the best concrete mixture for the rendering? How thick?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jdqojBBCZxazcJ3A9
          ARTISTADIMATTONE Google Photo Album-https://photos.app.goo.gl/jdqojBBCZxazcJ3A9

Comment

I think ill finish my second coat of perlite render and then do a scratch coat with some silicone weather proofing in and then tile onto that. Got my tile samples today famiy likes the gold! Over the tiles i plan on using the attached photo to seal it all off.

Advice on whether this is ok would be much appreciated!

Comment

The drying fires are best done after the vermicrete layer(s) but before the render/stucco layer IMO. A standard cement based render which already has some waterproofing contained in it will make the layer partially waterproof, but still partially breathable. Alternatively you can make your own brew if you still have the materials available. A good recipe is 4:1:1 sand, cement, lime. This mix has no waterproofing qualities and will be totally breathable.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Anyone in the UK i think this will do the trick for breather valve.
                https://www.toolstation.com/110mm-mu...nt-cowl/p70565

Coming to terms with the fact it's never going to be waterproof so you need to get rid of the damp by some means. Being in the UK i may roof it at some point too.

Comment

That should work.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Second perlite coat finished, tiles laid and render beads fitted. First curing fires towards the end of next week. Very excited!

Comment

Beautiful. Well done. Go slow with your curing fires.
                      - George

My Build
                      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mente-ca-build

Comment

Render finished and first trickle fire for 3hrs. The rendering went alot better than i thought it would, was really enjoyable but very time consuming.
                        One thing I have noticed is my chimney is quite set back and into the render coat, i can feel the heat already through it, thinking about render coating the chimney now, what do you think?

Comment

Insulated the chimney, still a bit unsure how I'm going to finish it off but I'll come up with something.
                          We're having some pretty bad storms at the moment so i thought i cover it over save it getting saturated.
                          No more fires until the chimney has really gone off and the breather valve was way too big so I've ordered another 1.5" one.

Comment

Little update picture.
                            Leaving the tiling for another week and one curing fire left. Just to make sure everything is dry set and i am happy before the final bit.
                            Starting to look pretty good now. I will be raising the garden next year to the same level as the sleepers.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Stone pebble tiles are done. Grouting left, sealing and that chimney finish?! Still a bit unsure what to do. Dont laught but i actually install ductwork systems for a living, installing flues chimneys and pipework. I will probably end up having a square to round transition with a 125mm round x 500mm long flue with a china mans hat on the top and probably enamled made at some point
                              Attached Files

Comment

I asked all the questions and had only a few replies. I made the mistakes and tried my best to correct them. I am not sure if the last few bits i have done are ok, fingers crossed?

Thanks to all that helped out with what I've done, i did receive some top notch info from a few on here. My last 5 posts haven't had a single reply.
                                The pizza was very nice last week thanks.
                                Last edited by stonejumper; 09-04-2020, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X