Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nikki's 42" in Phoenix, where it's hot as a...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nikki's 42" in Phoenix, where it's hot as a...

That looks fantastic!

Very cool roof and I love the veneer. Is it going to creep up all the corners like that?
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

It all looks so good! I am envious of all the room you have around your outdoor kitchen. My husband has this irrational attachment to grass and didn't want me to eat so much of the yard with mine... I wish I had more room!

The tile roof looks great, as does the veneer. I especially like the way you have the back and sides done.

Great find on the granite, too!
      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Nikki,
        Everything looks fantastic! Thanks for the update. That is a cool looking piece of granite. I've been checking Craigslist for granite scraps.
        Can't wait to see the finished product.

Mark

Comment

Here are a few more pictures of the roof. I tried to get some different perspectives, show it a little better. I'll try again next time I have a ladder out there. Mike, let me know if there are any particular details you'd like to see more closely.

Granite on too, as you can see! That was today's effort. Now I can officially finish the rest of the stonework. The stone will creep up each corner, and the front will be completely covered in stone. I'll figure out a way to cover the chimney, too. I might need to go back to the veneer guy and order more stone, this time all small pieces. I have enough square footage for the job, but most of the pieces are just too big to work nicely on a curve that severe.
          Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by Modthyrth View Post
            I'll try again next time I have a ladder out there.
            Stay off a ladder! (At least for a few months, when your center of gravity has reset.)

Thanks for the photos. The granite looks great.
            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
            My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by exceloven View Post
              Nikki,
              Everything looks fantastic! Thanks for the update. That is a cool looking piece of granite. I've been checking Craigslist for granite scraps.
              Can't wait to see the finished product.

Mark
              hey exel you could pick up scraps of granite at your nearest granite counter fabricators thats where I picked up a piece 6FT.x26 inch for $100

Comment

BTW Nikki that's a great job on the finishing, love the stone, I'm jealous I looked at your vac. fotos, I want to go again I have to many nephews and nieces that I never laid eyes on and need to visit soon.

Comment

Nikki,

Your oven is awesome. I have started my foundation recently, and just stumbled upon this site; glad I found your posts early on!

I'm in Queen Creek, and I was wondering if that discount building supply place (The Handyman's Candyland) that you mentioned in an early post still exists. I have been googling, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for your help, your work is quite the inspiration!

Toby
                  Toby

Comment

Welcome to the fun, Toby!

Here's the contact information for the store I mentioned. Their tagline is evidently "The Handyman's Candy Store," not Candyland like I wrote. I like my version better. ;-)

Building Materials Outlet Inc
                    ?The Handyman?s Candy Store?
                    Lumber, windows, cabinets, tile, ceramic, trim, doors, floors & more

Hours:
                    Mon-Fri 7 ? 3:30
                    Sat 8 ? 2
                    Sun Closed

2902 E. Elwood Street
                    602-232-1114
                    Fax: 602-232-1482
                    Building Materials Outlet Inc
                    All major credit cards accepted
                    Just off I-10 & University Dr ? 32nd St. Exit

There's another building remainder place that's better known and is very close to this one, but this is my favorite one. They always have the best stuff.

Let me know if I can help out in any other way. Stop by and see the oven, get recommendations for suppliers in the area, etc.
                    Nikki

Comment

Nikki!

I love it!

It's looking so fine. Hard to believe that just a short time ago it was just a place waiting for a Pizza Oven!!!

I'm looking forward to more progress!!

Christo
                      My oven progress -
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Nikki, I'm going to go check out that place this week, and thanks for the offer of help, I'm sure I will be asking you some questions in the future.
                        Toby

Comment

I cut down the square footage of the patio in the grand plan, and finally got DH (still not sure the D stands for Dear quite yet again ;-) ) to agree that the pavers were the best option and a very reasonable price. They finished installing today--299sf of new patio space. We're almost ready for a grand oven-warming party!

Nikki

Comment

Nikki, looks great! I think you made a good choice going w/ the paver's. Concrete, as beautiful as they can pour it these day's - will crack. Your paver's will never have that problem. My only complaint with mine are ants. They keep dragging the sand to the surface - when I see them doing that, I pour a little gasoline on them and they go a way for a while

Les...
                            Check out my pictures here:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Oh good, I was wondering how the paver discussion was going....

It looks really nice, those are lovely pavers. And I like the rounded edges, too - is that where you cut down footage? Looks great!
                              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

We cut about 123sf by not paving around the firepit area. We'll spread gravel around it (and over all the dirt areas--that's the typical weed barrier around here) and maybe next year we'll extend the patio area. I'm afraid building it will be a mostly useless effort now, that people won't spread out and wander over, because it'll still look distinctly off the path, like a Don't Walk area. I considered converting it to a fountain, but the cost for the appropriate pumps and waterproofing materials cost as much as the pavers would have. I haven't figured out a good solution yet.

I had so many straight angles that I really wanted the pavers to have some nice curves to soften the overall look, so the curves have been in the design for a while. It does cut out some square footage, but you end up with more waste, so it's something of a wash. We'll build an arc-shaped arbor along the radius of the curve to define the space and further soften the look.

Bonus for putting in the pavers--they asked if we had any use for the leftover sand. We have a sad, empty sandbox (details in the cat control thread). The leftovers filled the sandbox perfectly. I put the not-quite-adequate cover on the sand yesterday and hope the cats won't re-discover it until we figure out a better solution for keeping them out. I'll steal some of Drew's coffee grounds this morning, Francis!
                                Nikki

Comment

Working...
                                X