Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nikki's 42" in Phoenix, where it's hot as a...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nikki's 42" in Phoenix, where it's hot as a...

I just followed the forno bravo suggestions. Their perfect pizza dough by weight recipe (made in the bread machine, dough cycle, incredibly easy), and the sauce was simply drained and hand-crushed san marzano tomatoes. My brother in law, who worked in higher-end independent pizza shops for nearly 20 years, complimented me on the sauce and asked how I made it. Couldn't be easier!
    Nikki

Comment

I will give it a try.
      Thanks

Comment

My Dad helped us do the metal framing this afternoon. It took about six hours to do what seemed like a fairly simple job. We'll add the cement board tomorrow.

Signing my creation:

Nikki

Comment

What are your plans for the roof? Flat or gabled? For my flat (nearly flat) roof I doubled up heavy gauge studs to form an I beam shape and laid those across the roof when I made my flat roof. After sheathing it with concrete board it felt pretty solid - I never tried to stand on it or anything....

Nice job on the framing. I think the metal studs were a fun part of my oven - so many different materials you can choose to play with!!!

Christo
          My oven progress -
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
          sigpic

Comment

We're going for a roof just like yours, Christo. Flat, angled back slightly for drainage. For the moment we're just going to cover with concrete backerboard to get the structure basically waterproof. Eventually, the idea is to do a copper roof. I'm getting a bid from a local guy, and need to start emailing and calling copper roofing suppliers that ship from around the country, figure out the best way to do this. I have a vision in my imagination, but I have no real idea of how to achieve it yet. ;-)
            Nikki

Comment

Well, so far the vision in your head has translated to the real world pretty well!

You all did a great job on the enclosure.

I don't get to sign mine until I finish the stucco and tile this spring... but you can bet I am going to do it!
              Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

I think the concrete backer board is going to work really well for the roof - you won't have to worry about burning anything as they solder the seams together!!!

I used EPDM membrane on mine - but looking back wonder if I could have just used some stucco or surface bonding cement to create a waterproof roof.

Good luck - please let us know the values of the quotes you get on the copper. I'm afraid I'll need to have a fainting couch ready for when I see it!!

Christo
                My oven progress -
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                sigpic

Comment

Looking awesome! Your kitchen is really coming along! I noticed one of the counters only has a back row on cement block. Any reason? I'm guessing you are putting in a grill or something else cool!

Comment

Yep--this puppy is sliding right in front of that wall:

We added the wall so that it would look more built-in and cohesive.

Today added some angle bracing metal studs to reinforce the roof beams and put up the first cement-board wall. Then it started raining, unfortunately. This coming weekend is completely booked, and the following weekend we head to Italy, so I'm hoping we can carve out a bit of time on the weekdays to do a bit of work and get the oven waterproof.

Christo--I'm scared to get the bid, too. Copper prices are at a five year low, but that doesn't mean it's cheap. We'll see if my idea can convert into a full-fledged plan or not.
                    Nikki

Comment

Nikki,
                      Looking great! Italy huh, how long are you going. Any details on your plans?

Mark

Comment

Christo--I just got the copper roof estimate back, and eek! $2406 for materials and labor. Back to the drawing board. I'm wondering if I could cover some sort of shingles in copper sheeting? If I could find a way to make that work, I think the materials cost would only be $200 or so.

Mark--We're cashing in all of our frequent flier and hotel points and are heading to Italy on the 24th! we'll be there for 8 nights. There are some amazing deals out there right now, with the synergy of low gas prices, bad economy, and low season travel. We got three tickets to Europe for the same price (in ff miles) as what one ticket usually costs. We really need to sit down and book our hotels tonight. We've put it off too long.
                        Nikki

Comment

Nikki,

I saw rolls of copper at home depot and it was surprisingly cheap. It's pretty thin and only 6 or 8 inches wide. It looked like it would be pretty easy to work with. Just a thought. Enjoy the vacation - I've totally block out Europe because of the cost of the Euro.

Les...
                          Check out my pictures here:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Nikki,
                            Are you saying that the FF miles are offering deals now? What FF are you using, that sound to good to be true.

Mark

Comment

Mark--Yes, airlines are even offering frequent flier miles deals at this point! Usually it costs 105,000 miles to get one ticket to Europe from Phoenix. If you pick the right dates, especially during the off season, you can find "super saver" tickets for half that. And right now, they've cut the miles so aggressively that we got three tickets for the same miles-price as one ticket normally. I've never seen that happen before.

Drew typically flies US Airways, and that's what we're flying to Rome. He travels a fair amount for work, and since Phoenix is one of their hubs, the US Airways ticket is usually the cheapest option. It makes it easy to rack up points on a single airline.
                              Nikki

Comment

Nikki,
                                I was looking through an old Wine Spectator which was featuring Pizza. Great feature. Anyway the article started with a mention of Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix. It sounded like a great place. Have you been there?

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X