Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nikki's 42" in Phoenix, where it's hot as a...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nikki's 42" in Phoenix, where it's hot as a...

Originally posted by fullback66 View Post
    Nikki,
    Is the wood expensive in the desert? I have wood coming out of my ears in Michigan. Then again, it is under a foot of snow.
    fb66
    I have no idea--I've never bought wood anywhere else. I got a standard pickup bed of mesquite delivered for $100 (that's about 1/3 cord, I believe). I picked up a hardwood cooking mix (various fruit and nut woods) for $70 for what could fit in the back of my pathfinder. That was slightly more expensive, per volume, but came from a more reputable actual dealer rather than someone who was clearing roads in his ranchland (mesquite guy). Both are well seasoned and already cut to the right size for a pizza oven, which made the cost a little higher. Is that expensive?
    Nikki

Comment

That sound O.K. to me if there are not a lot of trees around. I do not use the good fruit woods. I use any hardwood I find. There is plenty here in MI at a good price. $0.

I like the picture of your belly. When I first saw the picture I thought of Austin Powers.

"GET IN MY BELLY"
      fb66

Comment

We made our first pizzas! We made eight different pizzas and 24 tiny garlic knots. Absolutely delicious, and incredibly fun!

My husband showing off his dough tossing skills:

Placing the first pie. I didn't have turning technique down yet and made something of a pizza doughnut with a nice hole in the middle, but it still tasted fabulous!

Nikki

Comment

My favorite: proscuitto, mozarella, spinach. Yes, I know you're supposed to put the proscuitto on after cooking, but I love the texture it has when it's cooked.

Cheese, basil, olive oil for my daughter who doesn't like sauce:

I call this success! Let's do it again on New Year's eve!

Nikki

Comment

Fantastic Nikki!!! The pizza's look awesome. The pie in the air is a very cool pic. Keep us posted when the real deal comes out of the oven. Crongrats...

Les...
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Those look really fantastic! And I love your kitchen, too, very cozy.

...one question: did he actually catch it when it came back down again?
              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I was wondering if the flying dough pic was on the way up and if it is still stuck to the ceiling!!!! Gotta becareful with those high hydration doughs!!!

I love first pie pics!!!! I also like the smiles on your faces in the last pic!

New Years pizza for us too!!!

Christo
                My oven progress -
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                sigpic

Comment

I was impressed--Drew didn't drop a single piece of dough, and they all went flying like that! Thank goodness for 14 foot ceilings. He and his teenage friends got very bored during their late night shifts at Little Caesars and the skills are still there 20 years later, evidently. ;-)
                  Nikki

Comment

Great looking pizzas! Thanks for sharing the photos.
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

Its 40 degrees outside this morning but your pix are inspiring me to go work on my oven! Looks great.

Mark

Comment

40 degrees? Sounds like a heat wave!!
                        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                        My oven build thread

Comment

Nikki,
                          How hot was the oven? How long did you keep pizzas in the oven?
                          fb66

Comment

Santa didn't bring an IR thermometer, so I'm not sure how hot it really was. But the whole dome went white this time and wood burst into flame as soon as we threw it in, and it was too hot to put your hand in, so I know it was way up there! I didn't time the pizzas, but they were fast. I was too worried about the procedure and figuring out the peels to time it, but on New Year's Eve I'll designate someone to time it and see how quickly they cook.

Santa did bring the basic peels/brush set, and some nice wooden pizza peels, just in time for the first use of the oven. Drew very carefully wrapped the two peels and the brush, keeping the paper completely snug to the shape of each tool, then hid them all in the storage closet. No mystery, but lots of patience and funny effort. I'm impressed he kept them hidden from me until Christmas morning.
                            Nikki

Comment

Congratulations! They look really good. I particularly like the looks of the one with the spinach.

I still can't bring myself to fling a pizza in the air- I can't quite master Dave's technique of slapping it from hand to hand yet. My fingers keep going through ...
                              Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Nikki,
                                Do you have recipes for the dough (crust) or sauce?
                                fb66

Comment

Working...
                                X