Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nikki's 42" in Phoenix, where it's hot as a...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nikki's 42" in Phoenix, where it's hot as a...

It's surprising how the stand seems to shrink when you start adding insulation and covering.

Christo
    My oven progress -
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
    sigpic

Comment

Indeed it does shrink! I have barely an inch on the sides of my oven where it goes to the edges- I'm glad I didn't shrink my oven stand down any more than I did! I think I may round the corners on the next oven I make... whenever that is.
      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Hey Nikki,
        Oven's looking great! I haven't been on in a while, so I just popped in to check on how everyone is doing. Keep up the good work!
        David and Cynthia Manchester

Comment

Fire!!

I used all of the newspaper I had, but since we don't subscribe to the newspaper, that wasn't much. I'm going to have to start mooching off my neighbors. The chimney drew pretty well, and I always planned to add at least one more segment, maybe more. Just a little bit of smoke escaped out the front. I'll be interested to see what more height does for the draw.

I'm picking up some firewood this afternoon, so I'll be ready for upcoming curing fires. Pizza soon!! I've solicited advice for where to get great ingredients locally on chowhound.com, so I'll be running all over the valley in the next few days gathering quality ingredients for the first pie. I can hardly contain myself, I'm so excited!

I decided to wait out the rain, since I was so busy with gingerbread houses earlier this week, anyway.

Two gingerbread decorating parties done, and now I just have to deliver the neighbors' houses.
          Nikki

Comment

Nikki, The gingerbread houses are cool, BUT....the fire, now that is awesome.You can tell where my mind is. I'm consumed with my oven. The rains have hindered progress but I just use the time to plan my next step. Congrats!

Mark

Comment

Nice flame!!!

That little gingerbread village needs a mini WFO in the back!
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

Gingerbread TARDIS! OMG!

Comment

Congrats on the fire! Looking good.
                  Picasa web album
                  Oven-building thread

Comment

Ha! A Dr. Who fan! I knew I liked you!

Feels good to have a fire, doesn't it?
                    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

• Re: Nikki's 42" in Phoenix, where it's hot as a...

There is something soothing about a nice fire in a brick oven. It's as though all is well with the world.

Looking good!
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Wow, somehow I've missed your thread over the past few months but what great work - not just the oven but the cakes & gingerbread houses too! It all looks good and I can't wait to see what you do next.
                        Congratulations on your first fire too - it's pretty gratifying to get to that point isn't it? And it just gets better when the cooking begins!

Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
                          Nice flame!!!

That little gingerbread village needs a mini WFO in the back!
                          Wow, why didn't I think of that?? The next house I decorate is totally having a little candy WFO.

I picked up an SUVload of wood today. The place I went recommended the small splits (already the right size for the pizza oven) of their hardwood cooking mix. I have a mix of apple, citrus, olive, and almond. I'm going to pick up some mesquite, too, to see how I like working with that. It's all over the place here, so it's easy to get, though I read that it doesn't make quite as nice a coal bed as the stuff I already bought.

I get to use kindling tomorrow! Guess it's time to seriously read that top-down method thread. I've only lightly browsed it before, and retained absolutely none of the information.
                          Nikki

Comment

Wow Nikki, congratulations!

Tardis, ginger bread ovens, fire pics, and pizzas real soon - cool, cool ,cool!
                            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I built my last curing fire today--fun stuff! Now that's a good Christmas present!

I only got the top half of the dome to go white, so I guess I need to build it even bigger next time. I'm sure I'm still driving moisture out, too, and will have an easier time getting the oven nice and hot as time goes on. That insulating blanket works gorgeously--the outside was perfectly cold the whole time.

I'm loving the top-down fire, too. It's way easier than trying to reach in and build a teepee of wood in the middle of the dome.
                              Last edited by Modthyrth; 12-26-2008, 12:07 AM.
                              Nikki

Comment

Nikki,
                                Is the wood expensive in the desert? I have wood coming out of my ears in Michigan. Then again, it is under a foot of snow.

Nice fire.

fb66

Comment

Working...
                                X