Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan WFO

Mike

Congrats on a job well done. I would have done the same thing. I am not all that happy with the way my arch looks. But it won't be seen. If I thought I had a structural issue, I would have done it over. My brother was bricking the front of his house. Half way up he realized that it wasn't perfectly level. He pulled it all down and started over.

Comment

What are the tools and procedure for cleaning the mortar joints on the inside of the oven?
      I've been using a wire brush, but there's still a film of mortar on the face of many of the bricks. It doesn't look very "shiney". I know that Muriatic acid (diluted) is used to clean off bricks on an outside, visible surface. Would you use the acid on the inside? A wet rag has worked well to clean up as I go, but I haven't always been around to do that while the mortar is still curing. That's why I use the wire brush after it's cured (a day later).
      Also, I thought about this for an idea: A wire brush attachment in a drill and lightly brushing the joints and surfaces that need it, might be faster? Like getting your teeth cleaned at the dentist.

Comment

Mike
        Excellent job...that is a much more stable arch...you will probably still need to create some buttressing on the sides but you are right on...the two piece keyston shows that you understand what is going on now and that you are using your "noodle"...I have attached a photo of our doorway arch at the restaurant I bonded three full bricks on their flat side and tapered the back and sides to fit in the keystone of the arch...it created a flatter top and allowed me to have a nice keystone look from the front
        Congratulations on a job well done!
        All the best!
        Dutch
        "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
        "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Well done, nice arch - I'll bet you feel better about it now!

So now its onwards and upwards...
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by maroongold View Post
            What are the tools and procedure for cleaning the mortar joints on the inside of the oven?
            I've been using a wire brush, but there's still a film of mortar on the face of many of the bricks. It doesn't look very "shiney". I know that Muriatic acid (diluted) is used to clean off bricks on an outside, visible surface. Would you use the acid on the inside? A wet rag has worked well to clean up as I go, but I haven't always been around to do that while the mortar is still curing. That's why I use the wire brush after it's cured (a day later).
            Also, I thought about this for an idea: A wire brush attachment in a drill and lightly brushing the joints and surfaces that need it, might be faster? Like getting your teeth cleaned at the dentist.
            The wire brush with the drill/grinder may be too hard on the bricks...there is a cup brush product that uses nylon bristles(I think it is made by 3M)that have aggregate like sand throughout each fiber...as the bristle wears off from the friction more aggregate is exposed...sells like sandpaper by coarseness...I think that would be better...acid would work also...just make sure you rinse it well and clean it off of the floor
            Best
            Dutch
            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

I just used a damp sponge at the end of each mortar session. I considered cleaning more thoroughly with muriatic acid, but thought against it. There are some areas inside the dome that might have benefited from it, but it is a tight fit in there, and a real pain to move around. The thought of using a volatile acid in such a tight spot, with poor ventilation, half the time working upside down, was enough to scare me away.
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

Thank you for the comments. I now do agree that the acid on the inside would be too tricky to use without causing problems, too hard to control the application and be close enough to see what you're doing. The wire brush works, just tedious. Using a sponge is a good idea. I'll check out the nylon bristle brush too. Thanks.

Comment

mfiore,
                  Is that a swimming pool in your back yard???
                  fb66
                  Last edited by fullback66; 11-02-2008, 08:59 AM.

Comment

fb

Yes, that's a swimming pool. Unfortunately, it's not in my yard. It's just over the fence. Just like the other 2 beautiful inground pools surrounding me. The kids are wondering why I'm building a brick oven, while the other kids get to have a nice pool. I'm sure someday they'll appreciate it!
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

I pulled the arch supports today. Everything seems pretty stable.

I reinforced the sides of the arches with angled brackets, as has been done by others. I'm not sure if this will interfere with my finish design plans down the road. If that's the case, they are temporary. I used a little piece of insulating board I had left sandwiched between the brick and bracket.

Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                      My oven build thread

Comment

I followed the lead of dmun and Les. Took a clay flue tile, cut it at an angle, and mortared it back together to make a tapered chimney that is 8x17 on the bottom (easily fits over my vent) to 8x8 on top.

I hope this tapered chimney will draw better. If I need, I can always add 8x8 flue tiles on top. These are much lighter. I don't have great photos of the cutting, but I refer you to dmun's excellent thread and photos. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-765.html Thread #95
                        It cut OK with an angle grinder, but man did I create quite a cloud of orange dust. If ever there was an indication for a mask and eye protection, this was it! I ground out a curve on the bottom to conform to my entry arches.

Here is the flue tile in place.

So, the vent transition is approximately 4.5 x 21.5 inches on bottom, tapering up to 4.5x13. Then, entering the chimney flue tile, the bottom is 8x17 inches, tapering up over 2 feet to 8x8 inches. How do you think this will draw? I hope it draws well. It seems to work for Les. I really wanted to avoid a tall, heavy chimney. My plan is to try it as is with the cure fires. If needed, I can always add to it later.
                        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                        My oven build thread

Comment

Looks great Mike - I think it will suck the wood out of the dome, OK - maybe not, but I think it will draw just fine.

Les...
                          Check out my pictures here:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Mike
                            Nice job!
                            You reduced the area by about half which should make for a nice draw...
                            Best
                            Dutch

Comment

It should work great. Mine does. It sure is noisy and messy cutting that stuff. Good work.
                              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Very nice job Mike! I figured out why hearing protection is so important with the angle grinder while cutting the concrete blocks. I am still getting gravel and dust out of my ears! I suspect you trying to get orange dust out
                                What size flues did you start with?

Looks great,
                                Travis
                                TravisNTexas

Comment

Working...
                                X