Michigan WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan WFO

Thats a very cool dome and a lovely keystone - congratulations!!

How are you planning to do the outside of it?
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Great job Mike! It's getting a little harder to plan outdoor work with fall coming on fast now. I'm glad to see that you have the dome closed in... Jim

Comment

Woo hoo! That's one lovely dome. You did a great job cleaning it up too- and believe me, I know how awful it is to climb in there. If you forget to put your arms up first, you can't get them in with you!

Congratulations! It's an oven!
        Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Just beautiful workmanship Mike! I hope I can create something even half that nice. Congratulations!

Travis
          TravisNTexas

Comment

Thanks, everyone. Glad to get that part behind me. It's getting fairly cold here (30's). The wet saw is getting hard on my hands!
            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
            My oven build thread

Comment

it's not nearly as cold here, and my hands are frozen from working on stucco! I can't imagine in the 30's!
              Elizabeth

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                Thats a very cool dome and a lovely keystone - congratulations!!

How are you planning to do the outside of it?
                Thanks, Frances. To be honest, I'm not sure how I'll enclose it yet. I like the look of a dome, but my wife wants more of a walled enclosure. I'll make some sort of walled enclosure.

The problem is going to be the design. I'll have to give it a rest over the winter to plan a little bit. Unlike yourself, I don't have a single creative bone in me. I'm a science guy. I can follow directions well, and can be meticulous when needed. I can't come up with something that looks nice on my own.
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

I built the outer arch today. For the first time in this build, I'm not really happy with the way it turned out. The bricks didn't end up as uniform as I would have liked. I hope they provide the structural support I need to hold up the chimney.

In retrospect, I wish I put more "arch" in my arches. They have only a small rise, and I'm worried this might negatively impact the load bearing capacity.

Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                  My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
                    my wife wants more of a walled enclosure. I'll make some sort of walled enclosure.
                    Brilliant! - sounds like a solid plan.

Mike, in regard to the side loading of your arch... I think if you drop some steel into your hearth, with some cored brick - you should be good. Since you are obviously going with a walled enclosure, you can beef it up with pretty much anything and no one will ever see it.

Les...
                    Check out my pictures here:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I did the same thing Les did, with the rebar and cored brick- it worked great to correct the lateral force problem.

If you're going to enclose it, you could also do what Ken did- an angle bracket with insulation in between it and the vent side. It won't show and it'll be easier.

If you're not happy with the way the arch looks, you can face it again with brick "slices". I did that to mine (although it was for a different reason). Since it wasn't structural at all, just for looks, I could do what I wanted to with them. I'm happier with my "fake" arch than I was with the real one.
                      Elizabeth

Comment

Mike
                        It is quite a shallow arch so it would be a good idea to support it on the haunches...the cored rick and rebar is a great way to do so...there is only one concern I have and it may just be from the picture but it appears that there is a brick that has a negative slope in the arch...the first brick left of center in the photo...under constant compression it would be fine but...under expansion it could create a problem...I hate to be the spoiler opinion but you have done such a great job so far that I would hate to see you have a problem with this...you can tap those out and re-lay that arch and I would think you would be much happier...once you get everything else in it would be a lot more difficult
                        Best
                        Dutch
                        "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                        "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchoven View Post
                          Mike
                          it appears that there is a brick that has a negative slope in the arch...
                          I agree, Dutch. I've been staring at that damn brick for two days now. I don't know how that happened. I really wish I didn't have such a shallow arch. I use HeatStop. The stuff is already rock hard. I don't think it would be as simple as "tapping it out". How tough would it be to take down and do over?
                          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                          My oven build thread

Comment

Mike - I don't think it will be too hard to knock them out. And as Dutch said, and I agree, it's easier now then later.

Les...
                            Check out my pictures here:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I agree, Dutch. I've been staring at that damn brick for two days now. I don't know how that happened. I really wish I didn't have such a shallow arch. I use HeatStop. The stuff is already rock hard. I don't think it would be as simple as "tapping it out". How tough would it be to take down and do over?
                              Mike
                              The mortar will have dried hard but if you move the brick in a way it would not normally move you should be able to unbond the joint...once you unbond one joint the rest should come pretty easy...when we repaired the arches above the windows in our building(also quite shallow "axed" arches I tapped the bricks upward(away from the center of the radius and they kind of slid upwards and eventually out...since they were part of a wall I was actually abel to do it without having to support the arches even when rebuilding them...you might start with that questionable brick as that is the potentially unstable spot...dry stack some bricks next to the bricks on the side and be careful in that vicinity as you don't want to unbond any of those...you can also find yourself a medium sized cold chisel to help chip at some of the mortar if necessary...it really should not be that tough and I really think you will be all the happier in the end...
                              Best of luck and keep me(us) posted!
                              Dutch
                              "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                              "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

I don't have a single creative bone in me. I'm a science guy. I can follow directions well, and can be meticulous when needed. I can't come up with something that looks nice on my own.

Well, its really lucky you've got wife who can help you out then, isn't it? (That's what I keep telling my husband, too.) Seriously, from looking at your work, I'm sure the outside will turn out great, whichever way you decide to go.

About the arch, I know just how you feel. On my oven I have about half a day to decide if I want to keep a doubtfull bit of mosaic or not. And you just sit there staring at it going Hmmmmm....

How about cutting the arch out with an angle grinder, might that work? I do think that if you have enough bricks to redo it you'll probably feel better about it afterwards.

What kind of chimney were you planning to use? Because if you're going with a light weight one, the arch should hold. Looking at the picture closely I think the brick with the negative slope is actually streight, it just looks like that because of the shape of the two bricks next to it. Then Sarah's solution would be a neat way of dealing with it too.
                                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
                                X