Michigan WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan WFO

Thanks, Dan. I looked there, but surely missed it. Menard's isn't always laid out the most logical.
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

A little more progress from the snail. 12th course completed.

I need to switch to 1/3 or 1/4 size bricks for the remainder.

Also need to clean up a little inside.

Let's pray for a little more nice weather.
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

Woohoo - almost there! Lookin' good.
        Picasa web album
        Oven-building thread

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post

I need to switch to 1/3 or 1/4 size bricks for the remainder.
          Mike - CUT the brick. It's very little work, and you will find it a lot easier to work with. Great job Dude - The home stretch is in sight!

Les...
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Gives me a funny feeling every time I see a dome closing in like that... Great work, looks good!
            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Beautiful job! Looks like your are ready for keystone.
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Mike

I have been so busy working, that I haven’t spent much time in checking out everyone else’s projects and progress. It has been raining here today. I must admit that it was a much needed break. Your oven is looking great. I feel the same way you do about cutting every brick to perfection. It was my intent to be the perfectionist with my brick cutting when I first started. My project is on target with the amount of hours in. I was hoping to have the WFO built by early Oct. Maybe even cooking some pie’s by my birthday next week. But I got started 6 weeks late this spring because of rain. It has rained here a lot this summer as well. Now that my back is up against the wall with winter. I have decided to get on with it. I would like to have the dome done before it starts freezing around here, so it can cure out over the winter. I don’t know which would be better, to let it cure out over the winter and fire it in the spring or fire it sooner and drive the moisture out of it before the moisture has a chance to freeze. I have gone through 3.5 bags of HS50 as well. I am also lining a grill box about 2’ square. So I had just ordered my 5th bag. I haven’t cut into the wine budget yet, but I haven’t ordered any cigars lately. I did some running today and picked up some muriatic acid at Menards. I think it will be easier to cleanup as much as we can from the top. I plan on being back at it tomorrow. Archery season opened here Oct 1st. I haven’t been out once. Keep up the good work. I hope that I am not too far behind you.

Mannextdoor

Comment

Mfiore

You make me sick - in a GREAT WAY.

Totally awesome job. Your oven looks great. I wish my brickwork was half as neat.

Can't wait to see it done.

Thanks
                  Dick

Comment

Thanks for all the great responses! It truly means a lot coming from this group.

I put in one more course today. I'm happy with how this row turned out, it feels like it was the smoothest yet. I think I'm just now getting the hang of it.

I need to think about the keystone. The oven didn't quite measure out as planned. I have a 5 inch hole now to fill, with a 4.5 inch wide brick. I was hoping for a smaller hole at this point, so I could put a nice, neat plug in. I'll go back through the archives to "steal" some ideas.
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

Awesome Mike - you are there! I used 3 brick for the plug - more than enough to fill the void. If you look at my gallery, you can see it. I can't post the pic right now, it's not on my laptop

Les...
                      Check out my pictures here:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

This looks so good! I used two bricks to make my keystone- I put them on top, marked the hole, and used my grinder to shape them. Once I got them so they fit the hole, I mortared them together and then into the hole. Because they were set in "wide side down", they didn't come up to the level of the rest of the bricks, and I just added "homebrew" to get the level up. I didn't want it to be an uneven thermal mass there at the top...
                        Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Mike,

Just an awesome build! I just found, and went through the entire thread today. Very, very well done!

Travis
                          TravisNTexas

Comment

I say go for one more ring and then make your nice plug from that...you've done so well this far go for the real thing...tap in one final brick for that keystone!!!
                            Best
                            Dutch
                            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thanks for all of the kudos.

Dutch, you're sadistic

I've been considering whether to try another ring. It would be pretty tight. As I mentioned, the inside hole is only 5 inches. The new ring would have to be bricks smaller than the usual 2.25 inchs, or that would only leave me with a 1/2 inch keystone.

I'll keep thinking about it.
                              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                              My oven build thread

Comment

You could get all the pieces you would need from one firebrick...just cut 1.25 inch strips off of one brick and lay them on the cut sides...easy to taper them too...then just the one keyston...it will look soooo good...
                                Best
                                Dutch
                                "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                                "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
                                X