Michigan WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan WFO

Thanks for the encouragement. Dick, your build was one I studied hard as I planned my own.

I actually tried to mimic your "striped" bricks. I was not able to find red fire brick, but as it has been pointed out, there was quite a bit of color variability in the bricks I did get. I sorted them the best I could (actually had the boys do it!). I attempted a row of dark, row of light, etc. By the fifth row, I just gave up and mixed them up. I agree, I also like the variability.

I still am not sure what to do with this transition. It just looks like the higher courses aren't going to hit the arch. I'm sure it will work out. If needed, I'll "stretch" my 21 inch radius at the front end a little bit. I also need to decide if I want to bevel a little on the sides of the brick to get rid of those upside down V shape joints that are getting bigger.
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post

Here is a photo of the fifth course as it begins it's transition to the arch supports. Is this typical?

Looks about right. Keep a close eye on the height of each end as they grow together - this is where the notorious dip comes in to play.

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Mike, instead of changing the radius, could you make the bricks above the arch a little longer than the others so they overlap the arch more? That is, instead of using 1/2 bricks, use 3/4 bricks or something and then slowly bring them back to 1/2 as you go up? Just a thought.
        Picasa web album
        Oven-building thread

Comment

Thanks for the sound advice! Makes sense, Daren! (did I mention that I love this forum!)

I'll try to keep an eye on the height as I make my way up the dome.
          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
          My oven build thread

Comment

A little further today. Course 6 complete. Course 7 halfway done.

I think the placement of the arch will work out after all. A little hard to judge until you tackle it. As much as I'm trying to avoid the "dip" near the arch, its tough. It fools the eye there.
            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
            My oven build thread

Comment

Hello, I know Im a little late to the thread. Im in grand rapids and used the menards stuff and had no issues (knock on wood) after 2 years of use including all winter. I have been known to whip in a snowball to help oven spring in the dead of winder.

Comment

Mike - no worries. At the end of the day, no one will see it. Just keep trying to keep a level line, and when you hit the top, it's all good. It's looking great!

Les...
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I agree - looking superb!
                  Picasa web album
                  Oven-building thread

Comment

I had time for 3 more brick after work today. The 7th course is nearly done (half way to the top?). I'm out of mortar. I had to order a third bag of Heatstop 50. I'm only half way, and using more than I thought. If (when) I run out of this bag, I'll probably also switch to mixing my own.

This will give me a few days off to ponder that arch transition!

At what point do folks switch to 1/3 size bricks rather than half?
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

I think I started using the 1/3 bricks when the gaps the 1/2 inch ones left started to offend me. I'd say it was the last 3 rows- and the two rows before that, I was using 1/2 bricks for about 3 bricks and then cutting a small wedge to keep from having joints line up, and repeating that all the way around...
                      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Very Nice work !

As for thirds.. I'm with Elizabeth.
                        Mine started in the last 3 or 4 rows as well.

Excellent!

Dave
                        My thread:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                        My costs:
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                        My pics:
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

OK, I'm still waiting for mortar, but was able to "scrape the bag" for enough to finish the 7th course.

I took the arch form out and nothing fell!

I need some advise about the transition. I am worried that I screwed it up a little. It seems to be coming out round, but I don't no how to tie it in to the top of the arch without leaving gaps.

I've been cutting notches out of the dome arches to conform to the arch. If I continue this for the 8th course, there will be gaps. Should I have been grinding out part of the arch to have the dome bricks fit better?
                          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                          My oven build thread

Comment

It's always a good feeling when nothing falls!

I used small pieces of brick to stuff the holes I had when I came around to the arch. You could just use mortar, but I felt that adding the pieces helped with the problem of too large a mortar joint. There weren't too many holes, really. Be patient with the shaping, I got impatient with mine and ended up with some strange things to work out. I used two bricks where I should have taken the time to work with three, and the shaping got odd.

While it did get a bit out of round, that was easy enough to correct in the next few courses. I just should have fixed it so it wasn't a problem in the first place... I wouldn't cut into the arch. At all. I like the concept of "hanging" the dome on top of it- I don't know if it's true from an engineering standpoint, but it seems to me that it locks it all together, somehow...

It's looking really good. Much tidier than mine!
                            Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Looking really good, you keep the bricks pretty clean! Keep up the good work!
                              David and Cynthia Manchester

Comment

Mike,
                                I'm going to be visiting my parents in a couple of weeks. They live east of you about 45 minutes. When I'm in the area, could I give you a call, come over, and take a look at your project?

thanks,
                                Dan

brixblocks@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X