Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan WFO

Mike
    You could cut a brick or two to fit that space now with close to that angle as it appears from your photo to be about that size...then on the following courses you would not have as much of an issue...but honestly the spaces would not be that big an issue and as Elizabeth said brick chips can do the trick
    You're doing a great job
    Best
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for the continued advice and encouragement. It is all very helpful.

Dan, you are certainly welcome to visit anytime. I'll send you a PM.

Still without Heat-Stop, so I started planning the vent. I had put a tapered entry into the oven to improve visibility, access. It isn't much of an angle, but enough to cause a pain in the vent. The trick is to get the bricks of the outer arch to be straight (perpendicular to the front of the opening), yet positioned into arch supports that are at an angle. I cut a odd shaped groove in the arch supports to help with this. I think it will work.

Here are the bricks cut to fit.

Here is the left arch support in place
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

Here is my tentative plan to bridge that gap. I tried to mimic Daren's "bridge". I worked this out in the afternoon, only later to read Dutch's advice. I think we were on the same track (great minds must think alike! )

I just took a few brick splits and cut a V shaped notch in to "hang" on the back of the arch.

Here is the first one in place.

I think it should help get the next course on the right foot.
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Absolutely what I was thinking...well done...that should keep you going once you get your Heatstop
          Best
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Mike, you are a genius! Your OSG (odd-shaped-groove) for the top brick of the arch support brought it right back to perpendicular! I've spent hours thinking about that since I really want the wider opening in the front too but you've showed me in 1 picture how to do it. This forum rocks. And Mike, the dome is looking awesome.
            -Dino
            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

That's just about how I approached the issue. Seems to work - go for it.

Les...
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
                Mike, you are a genius! -Dino
                Hey, Thanks!! I'm certain the credit belongs to someone else on the forum. I am a great copier! Unfortunately, I can't remember where I saw half the ideas I use. I'll still take the genius title, though

Les, I just re-read that area of your dome thread. I was wondering if I should put anything under that brick for support, but it looks as if you left as is. I agree, I considered wedging a chunk of brick under there, but don't think it would add much. I'm glad you discussed that in your thread. Now I can put it to rest in my own worries.
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

Tried to get another course in today, but mother nature prevailed (as she always does) with cold rain all day. About 5 bricks of my 8th course put in. I'm now at an angle greater than 45 degrees. Gravity is an evil mistress.
                  Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                  My oven build thread

Comment

I just wanted to add my two cents. I was able to find a large beach ball for the gravity sensitive courses. There are several options in the plans but I found the BIG beach ball to be perfect. I think it was 48 inches. I am just finishing an outer chimney manifold since I under engineered the first chimney. Yup I will have a two stack oven.
                    Peter

Comment

Mike, the oven looks great! It does seem almost the norm (however disconcerting) that a couple rows add a teardrop shape in order to keep hanging the dome on the arch and you bring it back to round on the last few rows.

2 questions though:
                      1) How much tapering have you generally been doing? Top, bottom or sides?
                      2) Are you using the string method for measurement of each brick on the row? How do you determine how much to come in on the next row? Your domes shape looks so good I'm wondering how you got it there.

Thanks, Dino
                      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Peter, i think I may have to pull out a beach ball soon (just one more thing I'll have to steal from my kids). Probably a better idea than my wife's yoga ball that I've been eyeballing

Dino, I've never been afraid to admit my confusion with terms like taper, angle, and bevel. Never sure what part of the brick it refers to.

I cut each brick in half at approximately 5 degree angle, then chopped off the other side of those bricks at the same angle. This made it slightly wedge shaped, allowing a little less of a mortar need. Starting around course 4 or 5, I noticed that the gaps between the inside face of the bricks were coming out pretty big (those shaped like inverted V's). I tipped the brick a little in the saw to cut slight compound angle's on those. This is difficult for me to explain, but I would suggest reading this thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ical-3124.html It's a long thread, but very informative from beginning to end. There are some nice explanations and diagrams/photos of methods used to make these cuts. I did not go near that sophisticated when it came to setting up jigs and what not, but the principles were useful.

I am still left with a large gap under each brick as you tip the brick upward. Other's have cut an angle on this side as well to eliminate that gap (refer to Ken's build). It sure looks nice, and I'm sure cut's down on the mortar needed, but this gap is not seen inside the dome, and frankly just was more work than I thought I could handle. As a result, I'm just using more mortar under each brick.

I have been using both the string method (as outlined by Ken) and the board method (Les described this). For my needs, I actually like using the board. It's essentially a quarter circle of plywood with a pin in the end that you use to rotate around the center of the dome. Each brick is tipped up to meet the board, set in place. The board is then rotated to the next brick location. So far, works well. It also has the added benefit of supporting the brick while getting ready for the next. If you can't find photos of this, I'll take one of mine for you.

Good luck. If I can clarify anything with photos, let me know.
                        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                        My oven build thread

Comment

Mike
                          For the upper courses you should consider using bricks that are a bit drier and the mortar will set quicker and reduce some of the stress of gravity. I used the board method and then near the top I gave in to the urge to create a support for the dome...I used damp sand suspended on platform...in hindsight I wish I would have trusted myself and gone without it...my dome would have been cleaner and truer without it...drier bricks and same consistency of mortar get them to hold better...a keystone in each course helps too
                          Your build is great and your abilities are too...trust that it will be OK...
                          Best
                          Dutch

Comment

Dutch, thanks! I'll try the drier bricks. I have been using fairly wet (soaked) brick thus far.
                            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                            My oven build thread

Comment

Here is a quick photo of how my transition "bridge" over the arch ended up. Sorry for the shadows in the photo. At least we had a moment of sunshine in MI!!

Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                              My oven build thread

Comment

I finished the eighth course. Thanks, Dutch, for the tips. So far, it's working well. Since I'm beyond the arch, with no real starting point, it seems to help to put one or two down and let them set up a bit while doing other things before coming back to finish the course. This gave me a starting block to work off.

Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                                My oven build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X