Michigan WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan WFO

Yeah, and then knock the dome down and start over, why don't you? Dutch you're a real slave driver!

I think a keystone made out several of cake shaped bricks would look really good. You know, like one last row, meeting in the centre but without a classic keystone in the middle.
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

What a Primo job Mike. The pizzas are getting close now. Do you have the blanket for the start of the insulating. I used 2" of the FB ceramic insulation, then vermiculite/portland. The outside is cool to the touch, and the inside is cooking your pizza at 900 degrees or so....The one thing that I wondered is how you will finish the dome, - with an enclosure, or leave the dome shape to be seen? I left the dome shape, covered with stucco now, but to be enhanced with beach rocks someday! Looks great. Northern Michigan is in it's prime colors now, If you take a color tour with the family stop by for a look at my oven and a pat on the back for the fine job your doing. Jim

Comment

OK OK everybody I'll back off now...first a sadist now a slave driver......I'm gonna have a bad reputation here soon if I don't...whatever method you choose will come out looking great Mike...
        Best
        Dutch
        "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
        "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Beautiful fall weather for the weekend here in Michigan, and I had to work (not on the oven, but that other place that pays the bills). No progress to report. That unfinished dome is just teasing me, staring at me, taunting me. I hope this weather lasts.
          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
          My oven build thread

Comment

Mike,

Hang in there! I nicked a bunch of photos from your build thread yesterday morning since my parents, along with my kids and other family, were coming over for the great October Birthday Extravaganza (lots of family birthdays in October), and I wanted to show some pictures to my dad so he would see what I am getting ready to do.

My father was amazed, and way interested in all things pizza oven after seeing some of your build and understanding what it was I was going to do! It was just great, and I must have fielded 50 questions! (I say fielded, cause I answered about 2/3 rds of them, and had to say good question to the rest ). It was just too cool.

So Mike, to you and the rest of the people that have taken the time to post everything here, thank you thank you thank you.

Thanks all,
            Travis

(P.S. I also showed him Dnum's and Christo's geo dome builds! Blew him away too!)

(P.P.S. My 400 different "building things" hobbies are a direct result of my upbringing by my father)
            TravisNTexas

Comment

Wow, Travis. It makes me feel quite good to have helped. I've been on this forum for a year now, stealing as many ideas as possible. No original ideas of my own. It's nice to finally contribute. A year from now, you'll be doing the same, I'm sure.

Best of luck with your build.

PS - It's also great to hear of your father's influence. Looking through these threads, it really seems these ovens are all built by people who place a high value on family.
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

OK, here it goes. Dutch, you inspired me! I added one more row before the keystone (although I was certainly not able to do it with just one brick)

I did slice a brick long ways into 2.25 inch pieces. This worked out well. As you stated, the bevels were not difficult with these little pieces.

Here's a shot before the keystone (and the cleanup)

The final keystone worked out better in two pieces. Each was 2.25 inches thick (from a brick laying on its flat side) rather than trying to form one 4.5 inch long keystone.

Inside:

From the outside:

It's not perfect, but I was very excited today.
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

A few photos of the inside of the oven, after cleaning up. For the record, that was a real pain, getting in the oven, working upside down, etc. I'm a fairly young, thin guy and still found it tremendously challenging. I would suggest to all new builders, take the time to clean the brick as you go. It may be the last chance you have once that dome tightens up!

Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                  My oven build thread

Comment

Woohooo!! Looks awesome, Mike! Congrats on a beautiful dome.
                    Picasa web album
                    Oven-building thread

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
                      I would suggest to all new builders, take the time to clean the brick as you go.
                      Mike, I have to differ here (and Buddy, you have done a fantastic job). I think the ticket is to not have any mortar on the inside at all. If there are small air gaps, I view that as a plus - it will aid in a faster heat up. Granted, it may accelerate the degradation of the brick, but we are talking years. Todd was chasing the perfect oven - where is he? If you have the saw and time - it can be done.
                      Check out my pictures here:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Well done. Good looking dome!
                        Ken H. - Kentucky
                        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Excellent...I am glad I inspired you...FANTASTIC job on your oven...I think it looks GREAT...now for the curing, insulating...then COOKING!!!
                          Best
                          Dutch
                          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Wow. Mike, let me join the line and say what a great job you have done. Wahooo!

James
                            Pizza Ovens
                            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

That looks too good to put a fire in. Job well done. 10/10

Comment

Job well done. Trust me when I say. I know how you feel. It feels GREAT.

Comment

Working...
                                X