Comment

• Re: Michigan WFO

Mike,

Looks like it is straight out of architectual digest...awesome sight

Peter
      Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Mike that came out awesome -- good job on the engineering, especially the homemade brake!

Greg
        Greg & Karen Lindhout • Ada, MI

Comment

Very nice work - congrats!!
          Picasa web album
          Oven-building thread

Comment

Mike, I posted in the photo gallery - to reiterate, SWEET. I need to move so I can build another oven. The bar just keeps getting higher and higher.

Les...
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the comments. These tasks don't come easy to me. The encouragement helps.

I'm actually nearly done with the slate. I'm glad I got some extra. The used slate seems a little fragile. I end up chipping or cracking some just by picking them up.
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

I put a wood strip at the top to tack the ridge to. Dino's thread was helpful to follow for these steps. The top row was tough. I had to be careful to line up the nailing holes with the gap between two slates below, as there was very little room to nail the slate to.
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

Mike, the slate looks great! Used slate is usually quite fragile, it does become brittle. Slate roofs are usually good for about 75 years, and while the slate does deteriorate it is usually the underlayment that wears out. Copper nails are the best way to go (makes for easier repairs down the road), but you can use stainless screws, and a lot of guys will do that in the top couple of courses. I hope to start cutting brick next weekend, get a lot of stuff laid out in my shop this winter and go at it full blast as soon as the weather co-operates in the spring.

Comment

Here are photos of the completed slate roof. I'm pretty happy with how the refurbished slate ended up.
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

Well, I think I'm done! 20 months after breaking ground, here is my completed oven.

Thanks for all of your help! This forum has been my "indispensable tool". Now I have a big mess to clean up, some landscaping to plan for the spring, and I need to start learning to use this beast!
                      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                      My oven build thread

Comment

Congrats. It's beautiful.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                        Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

I'm pretty happy with how the refurbished slate ended up.
                          Hey Mike,,, Never thought I would hear you say that.....

You did a fantastic job and I wish you many happy pizza's...

Congrats
                          Mark

Comment

Mike your oven is gorgeous!! I'm printing it to show my family when they come for Thanksgiving what the slab and cement block in the front yard will hopefully look like.
                            Thanks for the inspiration,
                            Tom
                            Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Mike, it looks awesome! As Les said, you've certainly set the bar higher for the rest of us... As I haven't yet even finished my dome, I'm feeling like I might have to wrap it up in plastic soon and wait til spring. Enjoy the oven this winter!

Greg & Karen
                              Greg & Karen Lindhout • Ada, MI

Comment

You built one beautiful oven Mike. I really like the shingle material and the copper; it gives it a really classy touch. Great job!
                                My WFO project: http://picasaweb.google.com/stevprin/WFOSmallPhotos#

Comment

Working...
                                X