Michigan WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan WFO

I worked on some of the slate roofing this week. It seems to be going up well. Unfortunately, I haven't taken many photos along the way. The slate I chose were small (6x12 inch). I figured small roof, small slate. I now realize that if I used bigger slates, I would be done by now!

I've done both sides, with 3 inch head-lap, up to the chimney. Hopefully, I'll be able to put some copper flashing on the chimney tomorrow and finish up soon. Again, these are refurbished slate. They have a blackened "patina" as Mark stated.
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

mfiore

I built my wood-oven in summer and thought it was the "bees knees" until I came across Forno Bravo Forum. The effort and detail put into some of these ovens is incredible, especially yours. Nice picture diary and love the stonework. Reclaimed slates really sets it off.

Terry (C.F)
      Honi soit qui mal y pense

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...eii-build.html

Comment

Wow Mike,

That looks just great. Complimenti!
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

hey mike
          That roof looks fantastic...
          Nice work...
          Mark

Comment

Totally awesome Mike! I love the last pic: the red slate with its rough edges look terrific. Sorry about having to add the plywood but you're a good problem solver and a fast worker. I'm impressed. You could start a side career as a slater -Dino
            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Wow. I hope mine turns out half as nice as that.
              Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Wow, guys. Thanks for the comments! I've really been quite stressed about the roof. (again, lack of construction experience playing a role)

I spent a lot of time at the library, reading what little material they had. Slate roofing is not used very much in this area. I found the "Slate Roof Bible" by Joseph Jenkins, as well as his website, to be a real gem. I also picked up a hand slate cutter. This has proven to be indispensable to me. It cuts slate quite nicely and punches holes well.

Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

Mike,

Everything looks awesome! Thanks to your great photographs taken along the way, and those of Dino's, I'm moving pretty quickly on my WFO in Grand Rapids. I'm still afraid of an early snow, but I'll deal with that if I have to!

What type of cement mix and aggregate did you use for your concrete countertop pour? It came out beautifully! I'm thinking of using crushed glass in mine, but I really like your stones and the finished color of the concrete. Any suggestions?

And were you able to buy preformed copper edge trim for your roof, or did you make it yourself from rolled stock?

Thanks! Greg
                  Greg & Karen Lindhout • Ada, MI

Comment

Thanks, Greg. That plastic heated enclosure should give you some time yet. You are cruising right along.

For my cement mix, I looked into several products. Considered buying some counter specific stuff online from Cheng Concrete. This was really more expensive than I wanted. Menard's carries bags of concrete counter mix, but they were also pretty expensive. I ended up using plain old Quickrete 5000 psi mix. I mixed in a handful of brownish colored, small pea gravel. When I did some trial squares, I really liked the aggregate that was part of the mix. I don't think any of the pea gravel made it through. The aggregate that you see is just what was premixed in the bag. I colored with a blend of liquid colorants, primarily brick red and tan. All items from Menards.

I suggest making some samples, measuring the colorant, mix, etc carefully. I found this to be quite helpful. My goal was to match the slate roof. If I were to do it again, I would have waited until I had chunks of slate chips. This stuff crushes into tiny aggregates or powder. I'd mix that into the concrete for exact color matching. Crushed glass would be very cool.

I got preformed copper edge online from Joseph Jenkins, Inc. Joseph Jenkins, Inc. Internet Sales*::*Flashings*::*Copper Drip Edge*::*COPPER DRIP EDGE - Jenkins, with cant

I like the drip edge because it was preformed. You can also get it with a built in cant at the edges. This was helpful. The copper for the chimney flashing I am forming myself.
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

Hey GReg
                      What type of cement mix and aggregate did you use for your concrete countertop pour? It came out beautifully! I'm thinking of using crushed glass in mine, but I really like your stones and the finished color of the concrete. Any suggestions?
                      maybe these links will help you out...

Embedding Glass in Outdoor Concrete Countertops - The Concrete NetworkConcrete Connections Website - Rebar Size in Concrete Countertops: It Can be Too Big - Nuts & Bolts > Compression, Tension and Reinforcing - Articles

Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

Awesome, thanks Mark!
                        Greg & Karen Lindhout • Ada, MI

Comment

I worked out the flashing around the chimney. Here was my approach. The dilemma I had was tucking flashing in around irregularly shaped stone. The step flashing is likely easier with brick chimneys. Since the stone was costly, and I was I was afraid I'd run out anyway, I didn't want to put up stone just to cover it with copper.

I had some extra brick around. I used the brick saw to cut them in thin pieces, 1.5 inches (same average thickness as the stone). I mortared them on the cement board chimney surround for areas I planned to put the step flashing.

I then put stone on the rest of the chimney, as well as a decorative brick cap.

Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                          My oven build thread

Comment

I filled in the gap between the flue tile and the chimney surround with vermiculite-concrete mix (I thought that would give some flexibility for expansion).

I then put on a concrete "cap" to keep the water out, and put on a flue cap. I'll caulk the gap, still.
                            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                            My oven build thread

Comment

I found the copper difficult to work with, initially. I quickly learned that if you don't use a brake or tool to bend the metal, it can be difficult to get clean bends.

I made a simple device out of 2x6's, some lag bolts, wing nuts, and hinges that worked well.
                              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                              My oven build thread

Comment

I put the pre-bent overlapping pieces of step flashing over the brick, nailed to the roof, and grouted all the joints.
                                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                                My oven build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X