Michigan WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan WFO

I don?t know if the metal will expand enough to compromise the flue mortar joint, but it doesn?t take much to crack the stuff. Can you remove the offending stud and bend it in a little to get relief? Might be better being safe. Although, I?m assuming you are going to fill the chamber with vermiculite, so a little smoke escaping would cause no harm.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Could you snip away some of the metal, in place? Might weaken the stud slightly, but you can add reinforcement elsewhere.
      Picasa web album
      Oven-building thread

Comment

I'm not certain it's that important. You're not providing clearance to combustibles: I don't really see any reason it can't touch.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I'm less worried about combustibles, as the whole thing will be filled with loose vermiculite. Does the flue tile expand at all? I will have cement board, with stone veneer on the other side of that metal stud. I 'd hate for a hot flue tile to expand, move the stud, and dislodge the thin stone veneer. Is that likely, or am I worried about nothing?

I agree with Daren. This enclosure is a lot more challenging/frustrating than the dome. I think it's because the dome comes with instructions (FB plans). Even if you have no building intuition/knowledge/experience, as long as you can follow directions, your good. The enclosure seems to involve building skills and experience, neither of which I possess.
          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
          My oven build thread

Comment

I pretty much just read this entire thread... You guys are right, this forum is VERY good.

I am about to post my completely simplistic approach to supporting an arch, and have learned so much about my flue building ( next thing to do) and curing with ( or without) insulation.

Thanks for all the info!

Lars

ps. Seems like there ought to be a WFO tour... would be a very interesting trip!
            This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

Back to basics for me. How is this flue liner/chimney supposed to work? If a gap is left around the flue liner, does it remain unsupported all the way up the chimney? What about insulation around the flue liner? To steal a photo from Cypress's build, does anything fill this gap?
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

Mike - I filled the gap with a portland/vermiculite mix. I figured it would give it a little strength and insulate as well.

Les...

Comment

Is that mix compressible (flexible? elastic? compliant? I'm sure one of these is the proper engineering term!)

If the flue heats up and expands, will this be transmitted to the brick surround and cause strain?
                  Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                  My oven build thread

Comment

Mike, it's the same blend thats recommended for the hearth. If it does expand, it won't be enough to cause harm. The stuff is so loose there is plenty of room for movement.

Comment

Makes sense, Les.

I cut a notch out of that steel framing piece that was abutting the flue tile. I then reinforced with a doubled up stud flipped up on it's side. I'm sure this will be more than stable.
                      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                      My oven build thread

Comment

Some steel trusses I've put together for the framing. Nothing original in their design. All ideas taken from this forum.
                        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                        My oven build thread

Comment

Wow, Mike, that looks great. I stacked my trusses this morning too to see if they all lined up. You also had the same problem with the vent being so close to the opening. I had to trim a crescent moon arc out of my top track to go around my 8" vent and then similar to you, added strength but with 2.5" track within the cut up 3.5" track and attaching to the vertical studs. Is this your 1st time with steel studs? If it wasn't for Kens pics and Bills and Joes too, I wouldn't have known what to do. Take care, Dino
                          "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                          http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Dino, yep, my first time working with steel studs. It was fun (in a hand cutting, arm scraping sort of way). I don't have a chop saw, and couldn't really justify another purchase at this time, so had to cut them all by hand with tin snips. This is very doable, but likely less precise than a saw.

Here's the progress I made yesterday.

Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                            My oven build thread

Comment

That's some quick progress, Mike. Looks great.
                              Picasa web album
                              Oven-building thread

Comment

Mike,

What are you going to use for roofing materials? I am having a heck of a time finding anything besides asphalt shingles or cedar shake. I would really love to use metal roofing and just screw it to the metal studs. If you have a good source, please pass it my way.

Thanks, Scott...
                                Scott...
                                Smuth's Build
                                www.openhearthovenworks.com

Comment

Working...
                                X