Michigan WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan WFO

Sounds reasonable. What do you think I should do at this point?

A) tear it all out and put in a fresh one (painful)
    B) Try to patch with more heatstop
    C) Use some furnace cement (is that the correct stuff people have used for the dome cracks)
    D) Tear it out and put in a stainless steel one
    E) Cover it up and ignore
    I vote for "C". Heatstop is the stuff they sell to stick flue tile segments together. I patched my angled pieces with heatstop, no problem.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Mike,

You saw what I did... a combo of your option C. and E.

If it is going to crack anyway, why keep trying to replace it?

Perhaps some type of flexible heat resistant silicon ( recommended by a local fireplace installer) would allow it to flex. I haven't looked for this stuff yet.

Also, there is a very small amount of smoke/gas that would come through the crack, right?

Lars.
      This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

My vertical cracks in the back of the chimney flue are hairline once they cooled off. I caked more HeatStop mortar all over them. At least now I don't see them. I don't think they'll cause any problems, even if they reoccur.

I think I'll insulate around the chimney flue with some vermiculite/concrete mix before enclosing. This might help keep temps more constant at the stress points.
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Mike,
          Read my post in my CRA|CK!!! thread. All crack issues have become total NON issues.

Lars.

Comment

I've been following your progress with the cracks, Lars. I think you're right

I finished the bulk of the steel framing for the enclosure today. Other than an occasional brace I might need to add for support once I install the cement board, I'm done with this phase. I enjoyed it initially. It then became a real pain (literally, my hands and arms are really nicked up!).

I'm still not sure how long I want my overhangs to be. I'll wait until some of the stone goes up. I put a length of tracking on the ends of the trusses temporarily. Mainly because I was sick of hitting my forehead on those sharp edges!

Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
            My oven build thread

Comment

Mike,
              Once you wrap that chimney in blanket, or vermic/portland, I doubt it will open up if it is cracked. I really learned a lot tonight after my fire!

Even my dome did not crack, and I really insulated according to heat location. More in the upper third of the dome, then the most from the dome top to the flue. Even with a raging fire in the dome, the center outside was 90 degrees ( ambient temp of the day)

Lars.

ps. I like the steel framework. It will really withstand the elements. Do you plan to fill with more insulation?

Comment

Nice work, Mike. That thing will withstand a nuclear blast!
                Picasa web album
                Oven-building thread

Comment

Awesome work Mike! Steelworkers of America beware

Les...
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Well, it took a while, but I got some time put into the oven today. I finished putting concrete board on the walls. I worry that the peak is too high, looks a little out of balance. I hope it looks better with stone on it. Too late to turn back now.

I'll pick up some stone veneer this week.

Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

Mike, you have officially surpassed ME now. I'm so jealous. Your enclosed oven looks great. I really like your roof peak angle. Looks very nice and will be impressive with the stone veneer. Is that mortar or thin set you used where the conc boards come together? Maybe I need to do that, also fill in some of the uglier screws that went too far into my cement boards.

I'll be following what you do now closely since I'm on hold for a week. I was slow enough on my WFO that our annual summer pool part is next week so I'm preping for that and everyone expects pizza, not a roof or stone veneer (yet). I'll be making 15 to 20 pizza's in my unfinished oven, steel studs and all.

Have you decided on the stone veneer yet? I'm still considering a thicker "stack stone" or a smaller field stone pattern. Can't wait to see your work.

Take care, Dino
                      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Mike,

I agree, it looks great..I have abuot 8 blocks left to finish my stand and I hope to get it done today.

Peter
                        Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
                          Is that mortar or thin set you used where the conc boards come together?

Have you decided on the stone veneer yet? I'm still considering a thicker "stack stone" or a smaller field stone pattern. Can't wait to see your work.

Take care, Dino
                          I used Type S Mortar to fill the cracks. Same stuff that's supposed to be used for the stone. I don't have any experience with thin set. It might work just as well, or perhaps better. The mortar doesn't really squeeze in the cracks that well. I also started taping the joints with alkali resistant "cement board tape". This was recommended by the cement board manufacturer. I scrapped that idea after a few seams. Really was a pain. Again, perhaps this would have worked better with thinset.

I don't know what stone to use yet. As with everything else, my decision will be based more upon cost and availability than what I like.
                          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                          My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
                            I worry that the peak is too high
                            Dude - you live in Michigan , I thought you could go to jail with a roof pitch of less then 12/12 It looks great to me...

Les...
                            Check out my pictures here:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Mike,
                              Your roof pitch is 12:12 isn't it?

I see what you mean about the 'top heavy' aspect. I bet when you do some kind of stone or brick on the base, and then some kind of arch over that, it will have a more sensible aesthetic.

I kind of felt the same way about mine ( seems to loom large). Oh well. Had 2nd pizza bake last night. Having trouble getting up to temp AND without a door, the heat really goes away fast.

L.

Comment

Just double checked. The roof is 10:12. I'm clearly not a builder, and never thought in those terms. I was shooting for 40 degrees (that's a unit of measurement I was familiar with). Ended up to be 10:12.

Ordered some stone veneer today. Most of it will be delivered in a few weeks. I grabbed a few small boxes of corners to get me started. Hopefully I'll have time and sunshine Friday to get some up.
                                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                                My oven build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X