Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan WFO

Wow,
    I didn't notice that you used hardie lap siding for the eave. That was what I ended up using on my eaves for my shed. I did use it, but I absolutely hate working with that cement board. There's got to be a better way.
    This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

Spent a little time this weekend putting up some stone veneer. It is not as fast as I thought it would be (nothing ever is). Fortunately, my wife seemed to enjoy trying to arrange the stone like big puzzle pieces. It was fun working with someone else. She said she helping "just to get that thing done with", but I think she sort of enjoyed it!

Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

Mike, It is looking great..

Peter
        Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

She certainly looks as if she's enjoying herself anyway...

I love the stone veneer! Is it going to go all over or just on the stand?
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
            She certainly looks as if she's enjoying herself anyway...

I love the stone veneer! Is it going to go all over or just on the stand?
            She admitted to having fun. Hopefully her enthusiasm will persist. We have a lot to go.

Our plan is to cover the entire oven with the stone.
            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
            My oven build thread

Comment

Mike, we've been enjoying your picasa web album pics. All my in-laws are imports from Michigan so we marvel at homes with no fences, green lawns etc... (actually, they were evacuated because of the forest fires so we hung out in our swim pool, drinking wine and looking at Picasa)

The pics of your oven head-on look great! You made a wise move in shortening the eaves. The proportions look good. Can't wait to see the stone work all done. When you wife is through with your stone veneer, send her here to SoCal and she can help with mine! -Thanks, Dino
              "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
              http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks, Dino. We've had some fairly lousy weather this summer, so it's easy to forget the beauty of Michigan. I worry if I send my wife to California, she might not come back!!
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

A little progress this weekend. I worked most of the weekend (not on the oven, that other job that pays for the oven!)

I did have some time today, though. The weather was great. We were able to plug away at the stone work a little bit. Once again, I'm really thankful that my wife is enjoying piecing them together. She is lining them up and lettering them for me to come later and mortar them in place.

Photos of both sides and the back. We haven't started on the front until we figure out some sort of counter.
                  Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                  My oven build thread

Comment

Looks great Mike. Are you leaving the joints as they are or are you going to grout them? I left mine and I am thinking I may grout them one day.
                    Scott...
                    Smuth's Build
                    www.openhearthovenworks.com

Comment

I plan to grout them.
                      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                      My oven build thread

Comment

Well, I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and try my hand at a polished concrete counter.

I was started by making several trial squares to see what pigment combination I liked best. As you can imagine, it was hard for me to reproduce any of them a second time. I tried a blend of earth-tone red and brown, using Quickrete 5000psi bags.

I was really afraid of screwing up, ending up stuck with something I didn't like, so rather than pouring in place, I created a template and built frames to pour a free standing counter I could set in place.

I cured for 3 days before removing the forms. It was evident that I vibrated them inadequately, as there was quite a bit of tiny holes or "honeycombing." I made a paste of colored concrete, which ended up a little different color, and filled in the tiny holes. This gave the concrete some character. I'll polish it up over the next couple days and let you know how it turned out. If I don't like it, it will a 200lb problem to dispose of!
                        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                        My oven build thread

Comment

Wow,
                          I may have to try that for my counter... though, I was thinking of just pouring and tile.

L.
                          This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

It was evident that I vibrated them inadequately, as there was quite a bit of tiny holes or "honeycombing."
                            Mfiore....
                            How did you vibrate, ?? I've seen the guys use finishing sanders on the sides of the form, I Would like to do mine in place, Im a little nervous, but if it doesnt turn out I guess i could just tile over it ....

Mark

Comment

I did just that, vibrated the sides with a finish sander. I wasn't thorough enough, though. If you look at my pour, it got kind of messy with concrete spilled over the sides. I was making a mess of the sander, so I did a half-a** job before giving up. If you are neater, or if you care less about your sander, you could really spend more time vibrating.
                              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                              My oven build thread

Comment

If you pour in place, I think it's less of an issue. You can smooth the top with good trowel work. My pour was made upside down, so I couldn't see the bubbles (the bottom looks great, though!)
                                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                                My oven build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X