• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan WFO

Looking great Mike.
    This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

mike, there is a company in GR that caters to the concrete trade with re-bar, forms, molds for stamped concrete, and stains. Concrete Central. find a company like that in Saginaw, and they will be able to help you with sealers, etc. my neighbor down the street has a concrete ping pong table out by his pool..the contractor built it just like a countertop, on a frame made out of rough sawn cedar 6x6's. another day, another project??

Comment

Mike, you're working your way through the whole Hardie lineup! The trim looks very nice and clean.
        Picasa web album
        Oven-building thread

Comment

I used a wet grinder/polisher on the counter top today. Started with 50 grit, then proceeded through the series (50,100,200,400,800,1500). I'm pretty happy with how it's looking so far. The aggregate is really pretty, and it's quite smooth.

Here are some photos, still wet.
          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
          My oven build thread

Comment

Beautiful!!
            Picasa web album
            Oven-building thread

Comment

I put a small 1/8" flat piece of steel under the edge to shim the counter, creating a slight slope for water. A thick bead of silicone caulk around the edge, and set the counter in place (very heavy).

Still have to put a sealant on the concrete. I thought I'd wait a little longer, to be sure it is fully cured.
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

We also continued a little more stone work on the sides and front.
                The nights are starting to get cool quick. I hope we beat the weather.
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

Mike,
                  How long did you wait before the grinding ?
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David,

I followed recommendations from the book "Concrete Countertops" by Fu-Tung Cheng.
                    I did the initial grinding, starting at 50 grit down to 400 grit the day I pulled the forms, which was 4 days after the pour. I waited until day 10 to do the polishing with finer grit pads.
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

Hi Mike,
                      The countertop looks really good! What type of grinder/sander did you use?

I just make plain old concrete surfaces, for the most part. Pretty rough, usually. Grinding a countertop ( even a small one) is a LOT of work!

Just put in the slab for a storage space to the right of my oven today. I am starting to feel the 'age'. (5) 80# concrete. Ugh.

Lars.
                      This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

hey mike.,,,
                        Very impressive

Mark

Comment

This is the grinder/polisher I used. It's designed just for this, with a water intake. The discs are a hook and loop system that exchange easily. It took a fair amount of time. The edges were more difficult. When I thought I was done, my wife wanted the bottom side of the cantilevered portion done as well. I could have kept going to get a real mirror like finish, but I wanted it to look like concrete still.

Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                          My oven build thread

Comment

Great job Mike!

I used concrete on mine as well but did a pour in place with multiple color batches in an attempt to simulate old multicolored weathered stone.... I'm not pleased with the results. I ground down too much trying to expose the different color mortars but while doing that I exposed the larger aggregates in some spots.. It looks like it has white pokadots on it.... Doesn't give you that 'Ahhhrrrrrr' feeling, ya know?

As always Mike great job.
                            Bill,

Check out my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/b...egin-5443.html

Comment

Looks Great Mike!
                              Scott...
                              Smuth's Build
                              www.openhearthovenworks.com

Comment

How's it going Mike? Are you going to get that roof on before the snow flies?
                                Picasa web album
                                Oven-building thread

Comment

Working...
                                X