Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Salv's WFO Build

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
    If the inverted V gets too big, you can switch to using 1/3 bricks. That takes it back to a smaller V for a while.

I was continually amazed during my whole build each morning when I went outside and it was still standing. Ovens seem very forgiving!
    Hi Elizabeth,

I ended up sticking with half bricks and concocting a rather rustic finish up to the keystone. I just had enough of the angle grinder. I was working at the back of my garden and still dust found it's way into a number of rooms of the house!

Very funny - I am checking the arches first thing every morning, particularly the vent arch

cheers

Salv
    Salv

my wood oven build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...uild-5896.html

Comment

Originally posted by Himzo View Post
      Nice!

BTW can I ask where you got your firebricks from?

Himzo.
      Hi Himzo,

I got my firebricks from a place in Allenby Gardens called Avero. The phone number is 8340 4454. The guys name is Frank Cavallaro. He is very friendly and helpful. I paid $3.65 plus GST for the bricks. But I got in just before the global financial crisis hit and the exchange rate took a dive. He imports the bricks and the ones I got all had nice straight edges. I also got most of my other supplies from him (such as vermiculite, mortar and ceramic blanket) and he priced the bricks on the basis that I was buying other suff from him. The other supplies werent quite as cheap as Thermal Ceramics but they were pretty close. It's worth giving him a call and letting him know what you need. He is familiar with the forno bravo pompei oven plans and will prepare you a detailed qoute based on the plans. If you want further details send me a PM with any questions or your phone number and I will be glad to have a chat.

Salv
      Salv

Comment

I had another productive day and was able to finish off the dome and the vent arches. It was a great feeling to finally finish the dome. As gravity took over on the higher courses I ended up using sticks to hold the brick in place and this worked quite well. I didn't cut my bricks into thirds so it is quit a rustic finish but as long as it cooks the pizzas in 3 minutes I will be happy

I must say when we got to the keystone we made sure it was knocked in nice and tight with a number of hits but I didn't go to the point of huge blows to get it in. My Dad is building the oven with me and he was too concerned about knocking everything and moving mortar joints. Hopefully it holds together.

Next stage - curing and insulation.

cheers

Salv
        Salv

Comment

Salv,
          Nice build. You and your dad did a great job. Look forward to hearing about your curing and first pizza trials and tribulations. Great pizza is close at hand. Don't rush your cure.
          G.
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Well done Salv

The final few courses certainly look the most challenging

I have not got to this stage yet but continually thinking of which way will be the best to keep those final bricks in place.
            Cheers

Mike

Check out my progress to date
            http://picasaweb.google.com/MumsOven/MyPizzaOven#

Comment

Originally posted by Salv B View Post
              Hi Himzo,

I got my firebricks from a place in Allenby Gardens called Avero. The phone number is 8340 4454. The guys name is Frank Cavallaro. He is very friendly and helpful. I paid $3.65 plus GST for the bricks. But I got in just before the global financial crisis hit and the exchange rate took a dive. He imports the bricks and the ones I got all had nice straight edges. I also got most of my other supplies from him (such as vermiculite, mortar and ceramic blanket) and he priced the bricks on the basis that I was buying other suff from him. The other supplies werent quite as cheap as Thermal Ceramics but they were pretty close. It's worth giving him a call and letting him know what you need. He is familiar with the forno bravo pompei oven plans and will prepare you a detailed qoute based on the plans. If you want further details send me a PM with any questions or your phone number and I will be glad to have a chat.

Salv
              Thanks for that, I've stored the number.

I'm not ready to build yet, but do like the look of those big fire bricks for the floor. Looks so much simpler to keep everything flat (fewer ridges) and clean (fewer gaps between bricks). I might head in this direction as well when I get around to building.

I'm still a way off as we need to look at rebuilding our house and the position of the oven(s) will depend on the final house design and position.

Himzo.

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                Salv,
                Nice build. You and your dad did a great job. Look forward to hearing about your curing and first pizza trials and tribulations. Great pizza is close at hand. Don't rush your cure.
                G.
                Thanks for the kind words. I will definitely post the details of curing etc..when I get to it. I was keen to get to the completed dome and vent arch because I am going interstate with the kids for week on summer holidays. I figure this will give the oven enough time to dry out (especially during our hot Adelaide summer - tomorrows forecast is 41 degrees celsius). I will then do the curing fires.

BTW I read through your build when I was researching - great oven and a lot of excellent description.

Cheers

Salv
                Salv

Comment

Originally posted by MumsOven View Post
                  Well done Salv

The final few courses certainly look the most challenging

I have not got to this stage yet but continually thinking of which way will be the best to keep those final bricks in place.
                  Thanks Mike. My oven definitely fits into the rustic category and I was happy with how it turned out. I was going to use a Bob the Builder beach ball to do the final bricks but the sticks worked very well - just make sure thay are cut just a few centimetres longer than the radius of the dome.
                  I had a look at your build and its looking great so far - those tapered bricks look so neat and tidy.

Cheers

Salv
                  Salv

Comment

41 degrees C? Your oven may cure before you get back. Way too hot for my blood. Hope your trip includes some beach time.

Onya.
                    GJBingham
                    -----------------------------------
                    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Pffft...It's only one day.

When it get's like it did last March then it's hot. That's when Adelaide set a capital city record of 15 consecutive days above 35?C in Australia. I believe most of those were above 38?C .
                      Then you find out that car seat belts can be good branding irons & you learn to drive with only two fingers on the steering wheel..

H.

Comment

what was that old joke - you know it is summer in Adelaide when the premium car parks in shopping centres are not those nearest to the shops but those in the shade.

Salv
                        Salv

Comment

I am finally back from holidays and to my relief the oven is still standing and in one piece

I have started the curing fires and all is going well so far. I am up to the fourth day. I dont have an IR Gun so I am following the guide in the forno bravo plan re number of sticks. I must say it is great fun doing the fires and being mesmerised by the flames. My kids think I'm nuts! Cant wait to cook in it. Will post some pics once I get them off the digital and onto the computer.

Cheers

Salv
                          Salv

Comment

As mentioned in my last post I have started doing curing fires a few days ago. This first photo is of the second day of fires with newspaper and some kindling.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2479.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	714.9 KB
ID:	274157

On my third and fourth fires I boosted up the fire and everything seemed to be fine. I was also relieved to see that the chimney vent seemed to draw well

Name:	IMG_2489.jpg
Size:	738.9 KB
ID:	274158

When preparing for the fifth day of firing today I noticed some hairline cracks in 3 spots. They are very small and I'm hoping that this is the norm.

Name:	IMG_2527.jpg
Size:	705.6 KB
ID:	274159

I also noticed after todays fire that the dome is so much blacker! I am assuming that this is what happens until you get to a temperature high enough to burn it off. I think I could have burnt a bit bigger fire today but erred on the side of caution. I will ramp it up a bit tomorrow.

Name:	IMG_2530.jpg
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	274160

So this is where I am at. I am being very patient even though I am just itching to get that first pizza in! I am aiming to cook one on the weekend before I start the dome insulation.

Cheers

Salv
                            Salv

Comment

I was a bit too quick on the submit reply button there. I forgot to mention that I actually cooked something in the oven today. I really love mussels so I got half a dozen today and put them in a stainless steel baking tin (this is all I could find - I need to do some serious buying of some clay cookware!). I drizzled in a bit of olive oil, a bit of crushed garlic, some parsley, a small sprig of rosemary, thyme and lemon thyme and topped it all with home preserved tomatoes. There wasnt a huge amount of heat so I left the tray in the oven a good 30 minutes pushed up close to the coals. The mussels tasted great - nice and tender and the juice tasted fantastic mopped up with some bread. Here is a pic.
                              Salv

Comment

I did my final curing fire tonight. I kept the fire going until about half the dome bricks went white and then stopped there. Here is a pic.

Name:	IMG_2547.jpg
Size:	455.9 KB
ID:	274177

I also noticed that there are no new cracks but the same three main ones that were there a few days ago. Two are tiny hairline but one is a little bigger. What seems to happen is that the crack opens up when the oven is heated and then closes back up as it cools. I understand that expansion will happen with heat and I have read quite a few posts where the crack is left as it is but I am still a little concerned - should I be looking to fill it. I haven't been able to see any flame through the crack and there is no smoke escaping. Now is a good time to get some reassurance from those that have already been there. Here is a picture of the crack before heating

Name:	IMG_2536.jpg
Size:	774.8 KB
ID:	274178

And here are two after the oven reached maximum heat

Name:	IMG_2542.jpg
Size:	853.7 KB
ID:	274179

Name:	IMG_2543.jpg
Size:	505.3 KB
ID:	274180

I am planning to fire up the oven to pizza temp on the weekend and finally cook one!

Cheers

Salv
                                Salv

Comment

Working...
                                X