Salv's WFO Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Salv's WFO Build

The Pro Render looks like the type of product I was referring to. I used this product in conjunction with my bagged stucco mix:

QUIKRETE - Concrete Acrylic Fortifier

The Marblecote looks interesting, but I'm not familiar with it at all.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Yep - The Pro Render has acrylic powder mixed in for extra strength and adhesion. I remember reading references to Quickrete a few times on this forum but a search for suppliers in Adelaide turned up empty.

I spoke to a retailer today and found out a number of other things. The pro Render should ideally be used as the render coat for the Marblecote (the texture coat) to go on top of. They have a number of other texture coats such as sandcote and some roll on products as well. Tim, if you are interested, the cost of the Pro Render is $15 a bag and you will probably need two bags. The Marblecote is around $60 for a 15 litre bucket and one bucket is enough.

I am going to have a look at the Marblecote samples and their other texture coats at the store on Saturday. They are out on Grange Road, Beverley.
      Salv

my wood oven build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...uild-5896.html

Comment

Thanks for that, I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.
        My oven: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/t...html#post46599
        My blog: Live For Pizza

Comment

I saw bags of acrylic render at the local Bunnings the other day, but i'm also keen to see what the finished texture actually looks like, so keep us posted Salv.

Comment

I managed to fire up the oven finally and cook a few pizzas - did eight in total but was so busy that only took one pic. I still haven't got the hearth temperature quite right. I should have heated the oven longer and then I ran out of smaller sized wood to add to the coals on the side to keep a flame going. That's what happens when you are in a rush and there are hungry kids to feed. I noticed that the pizzas cooked really well on top but the bottoms were not browned enough. Heres the only pic I took

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2622.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	748.8 KB
ID:	274350

I am determined to get it right this weekend!

I also noticed that there was still some wet patches on the outside of the vermiculite insulation (6 or 7 hand sized areas) and they were fairly hot to touch. Reading other posts I assume this is normal. I also noticed that the very top of the dome was cool to touch. It just shows how much water is in that 4 inch layer of vermiculite - it has been baking in regular 40 degree celsius weather for the past two weeks!

I think that I probably didn't add the vermiculite at a uniform thickness and I definitely added more to the top of the dome. Given that you cant have too much insulation I am thinking of putting a final coat of coolcast over the vermiculite. I got the idea of the coolcast from Tim's build. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Tim and Glenn - I Will post some details of the render and texture finish on the weekend.
            Salv

Comment

Congratulations, Salv! Well done! I look forward to my first pizzas next weekend. Hope you work out the bugs in the hearth temperature. I'm sure you'll resolve it this weekend!
              my work in progress:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=1031

Comment

The coolcast was fairly difficult to work with - if you are only thinking of a thin layer, I think it could be fairly difficult to get it to stick! It was more of a crumbly/gritty texture than sticky. you'd probably want to make it least 30 mm thick I reckon, which could be fairly expensive.
                My oven: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/t...html#post46599
                My blog: Live For Pizza

Comment

Originally posted by carloswlkr View Post
                  Congratulations, Salv! Well done! I look forward to my first pizzas next weekend. Hope you work out the bugs in the hearth temperature. I'm sure you'll resolve it this weekend!
                  Thanks Carlos. I bet you cant wait to cook those first pizzas! Make sure you post pictures of your pizzas and your raging fires - no doubt the fires will look great framed by those elegant vent and entry arches.
                  Salv

Comment

Originally posted by Tim F View Post
                    The coolcast was fairly difficult to work with - if you are only thinking of a thin layer, I think it could be fairly difficult to get it to stick! It was more of a crumbly/gritty texture than sticky. you'd probably want to make it least 30 mm thick I reckon, which could be fairly expensive.
                    Thanks for the info Tim. I bought some coolcast to use on my next project of building a grill pit after reading about it on your build. I managed to get some 20 kg bags that were seconds at a good price because the fire rating didn't work out quite right. I am going to have a go to see what sort of layer I can get over the vermiculite.
                    Salv

Comment

A quick update on the render and texture coats. I ended up buying two bags of the pro render (at $15 each) and a 15 litre bucket of the Marblecote. Out of all the texture coats I think this one looked the most interesting -a kind of speckled rough finish. The Marblecote cost $60 and 15 litres is way more than you need for the dome but I was told that they didn't have any 5 litre buckets in stock. I went with the larger bucket as I will probably use it on my base as well. I am going with the natural white colour but you can have it tinted as part of the purchase. You can also paint over the finish. I also bought a bucket of prime seal - they recommeded that this go on top of the render before applying the marblecote. Now I have the products I just have to find some time to actually do the work! Not too sure when this will get done at this stage - too busy trying to cook a good pizza
                      Salv

Comment

I finally managed to get some decent browning on the bottom of my pizzas. I realised that I really wasn't getting a big enough fire going. So this time I burnt longer and bigger

Name:	IMG_2624.jpg
Size:	656.4 KB
ID:	274390

I also added smaller pieces of wood more regularly to the fire once I had raked it to the side to keep a bigger flame going than I had previously.

This worked great and the six pizzas we did all came out well cooked underneath. I am not too sure if I could have browned then a litle more - this is generally how they came out

Name:	IMG_2630.jpg
Size:	439.9 KB
ID:	274391

A couple of final pics of the finished product

Name:	IMG_2627.jpg
Size:	554.5 KB
ID:	274392Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2632.jpg
Size:	617.4 KB
ID:	274393

I think I still need to get them a little thinner - something to sort out for the next firing!
                        Salv

Comment

Looks great to me! I'm hungry!
                          my work in progress:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=1031

Comment

Salv,
                            Those are very mouth watering pizzas. They look delicious!
                            Don

Comment

The pizzas look perfect to me. Nice work!
                              GJBingham
                              -----------------------------------
                              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

The bottom of the pizza looks perfect, you nailed it!

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X