Napolitian style 106cm build inside a hobbit house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SableSprings View Post
    Yes Chris, the more I think about it, the more I like the drop-down door. If the groove is in the outside vent area it won't get much soot or creosote and since you're thinking of a counter weighted, chain lift/lock system, you certainly aren't going to get lots of black on your hands moving the door up/down, What would be fun to do is check with your local schools and see if there are some art students that like to work with metal,,,I bet they could really make your drop down door quite the show piece for the oven (as I bet you could--based on the pictures we've seen of your work!).

I really like that you are planning to have adequate air venting from the outside so the fire will not pull air (much) in from the room. Make sure that you cover these vents with hardware cloth/screen to make sure you don't have unwanted guests or have live coals drop down under your structure . Would these vents be built with some sort of closure? So they could actually be used control/dampen the fire as needed.

I'm going to be out of Internet service (or have very limited connections) for the next three or four weeks...I'm really looking forward to what you come up with, so don't think I'm ignoring you. We were in Barcelona last year and I agree that Gaudi's work in Barcelona is amazing (as is David's ). Since I've joined this forum, I find myself more and more fascinated with any architecture that has features of an arch or dome...I don't know if I should admit that since I got my Masters degree (40 years ago!) as a fisheries biologist.
    Hi Mike,

I'm going to go for fabricating the door myself. I think i'll make a steel rectangular box/envelope, which I will build in-between the chimney/vent and the rooms facade and positioned above the arch. A "U" shaped metal channel from the box/envelope down to the hearth floor will be built between the Vent /chimney area and the rooms brick facade providing a slot for the door to slide in. The door can then be hoisted up into this box/envelope and not be seen. I'll have to work out some sort of simple hoist system which won't need any maintenance (once built in I won't be able to get it out again). I think I'll also cut out for a glass window in the door, so if closed you'll still see the fire.
    I found these closable vents which I can build in either side at the bottom of the vent area.http://josefdavidssons.se/produkt/ac...-2-en/?lang=en
    All this will take a while to fabricate, but it means that I can continue with my vent chimney construction due to the door being mounted between this and the rooms facade. Thanks to your advise about soot, it made me rethink putting the vent between the rooms facade and chimney/vent. Really grateful for your input Thanks.

Chris

Comment

Chris,

I've built a number of kilns and fired many more and while kilns operate at higher temperatures than ovens the principles are the same. Steel is compatible with concrete for civil projects like buildings and bridges, but to combine it with refractory materials and rapid heat rise creates problems. Primarily, the huge difference in thermal conductivity between steel and refractory means uneven expansion as the heat rushes to the more thermally conductive material (steel) resulting in stress on the refractory. Secondly, heat accelerates corrosion and particularly if it is thin, does not take too long before it needs replacement. The problem with kilns is even greater because of the sulphuric fumes emitted from the clay body. I've seen so many kiln fail because of the door design where mild steel has been used rather than stainless, doors dropping, hinges, bolts and screws rusted. Beware of galvanised steel as poisonous fumes are emitted from the zinc coating.I think sealing of your guillotine style door will be a challenge. Italian ovens often sealed around their doors with some bread dough, crude but extremely simple and effective.

Your design may well work beautifully (and I hope it does), however, if you have problems three years down the track, try to build it now, in such a way that it can be easily serviced.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David,

Thanks for your advise. I have also build a wood fired lime kiln which burns for three days constantly reaching temperatures between 800 -1000 degrees centigrade, you might be interested in the pictures?. This kiln burns 1 cubic meter of limestone. I used a checker plated door with a baffle plate to stop radiating heat. This door buckled after couple of days burning so I know what you are talking about. Inside the kiln I used a heavy duty cast iron road drain as the grate and air intake, after three day of burning even this cast iron grate melted. Obviously a pizza oven does not need to reach these temperatures, but I will try and get my hands on cast iron for the door. As for sealing the door, the will door only be used to stop radiating heat into the room, so the door does not have to be totally sealed. Yes I will have to rethink servicing the door and making it accessible for any repair.

Comment

Managed to get the vent/chimney area done today. The holes on the sides are for vents supplying air from the outside of the building, this will help the draw. The sliding door will be built between the chimney/vent area and the final front arch which isn't built yet. Onwards and upwards with the vent transition to the chimney.

Comment

Hi,

My post is under 'forum guidelines', I'm not sure whether it should be under this? How do I create a "My Build" thread?

Comment

I just started one under introductions and just started posting. Keep going back and posting to keep it current and it will show in the new posts area.

Comment

I've finally decided that the outer door will be made of ceramic fireproof glass. When fully closed you can see the whole fire without the radiating heat. If the door is totally closed, two air vents, which take air from the outside of the building feed the fire from either side at the bottom of the vent area (see recess holes in picture). The glass will sit within a U shaped frame and will be removable. There will be a counter weight the same weight as the door which hangs inside the Inside the envelope/box. It will be a bit like how a sash window works, and enables the window to stay in any elevated position due to its counter weigh https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sash_windowt. All this will be will be removable for servicing

Comment

Here's such a door. This one from our visit to Switzerland in 2010.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA250579.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	392055
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Chris: Congratulations Well done for the meticulous work. You put us to shame as the work is well detailed.

Comment

The photos of your build are... well, they're incredible. Do you by any chance do brick work professionally? It would make me feel a lot better about my ongoing build which seems to be drifting more toward function than form.

Comment

Starting to build the Dome of the Hobbit house in front of the the oven entry. I got hold of the bricks cheap they're seconds and different colours which will all be lime washed when finished. I'm going to build the domed room without supports, it's basically the same as a large pizza oven that you sit in, lol. Top centre is the pizza oven entry, to each side niches. Below right will be a fireplace, bottom left for firewood, and bottom middle storage. Don't think i'll be finished this year

Comment

Crisp,

Very nice! Now, you have my full attention . I'm looking forward to following your progress. No matter how long it takes lol.

EDIT: How high is the fiinished floor of your oven from where you will be standing?
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hi Gulf,

Thank you, the finished floor height is approximately 105cmm, but this can be adjusted when I lay the finished floor. The normal height for a kitchen bench is around 90cm, but i figured a little higher means that you're not stooped over too much whilst working the oven, In one of the pictures you can see a brick on edge on the floor next to the fireplace. What is the usual height for a pizza oven?

Comment

I agree with not having to stoop. Most op for around elbow height. Mine is about mid sternum, I'm glad that it is not any lower.
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Gulf I'll keep that elbow height in mind when I decide on the final floor height. Your oven is an inspiration to all, so well executed and thought out. I especially like the cupboard / trolley underneath, that's a fantastic idea. I think 'I'll be stealing that one . A cupboard where cooking utensils and things can be stored, in front of a connected trolley which can which can be pulled out. I thought of using wheels underneath, is this how you did it? The only trouble with mine is the width of the cupboard/trolley is determined by the opening, not the whole width of the room underneath. and there is some wasted space to the sides. Any thoughts much appreciated?

Comment

Working...
                                X